Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

cruise control won't stay engaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
cruise control won't stay engaged

2007 MT fit sport w/ 88k miles

Today when I tried to use cruise control it wouldn't work. The on/off button will not stay engaged. When I push it in the light comes on, but when I let go it will not toggle on and off...it just stays off.

After pressing the button, when I start to release I can hear the initial click like it is engaging, but then as I continue to let go I hear a second click as if it is unable to "hold" in the on position.

I held the button for a few seconds and was able to set the cruise control (both lights come on and everything functions appropriately), but as soon as I release my finger from the on/off button it turns off.

Is this a fuse issue, or something outside of a DIY fix?

If it's fuse related, where can I find a list of fuses to check?

Thanks for the help...

Jacob

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
It's not a fuse problem; a blown fuse would mean it would not work at any time. This sounds like the power switch on the steering wheel is worn out/broken. Repair should be pretty straightforward, with the possible exception of getting access to remove and replace the offending switch.

Assuming the switch is on the steering wheel, do be sure to disconnect the battery for awhile before attempting anything to avoid unpleasantness with the airbag! (And look up the stereo lock code before that....)

Old 04-15-2023, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
It's not a fuse problem; a blown fuse would mean it would not work at any time. This sounds like the power switch on the steering wheel is worn out/broken. Repair should be pretty straightforward, with the possible exception of getting access to remove and replace the offending switch.

Assuming the switch is on the steering wheel, do be sure to disconnect the battery for awhile before attempting anything to avoid unpleasantness with the airbag! (And look up the stereo lock code before that....)
I’m having the same issue with the cruise control, my question is do I have to remove the steering wheel in order to replace the switch or can this job can be completed without removal.
thank you very much