Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

how to get rid of the scratches on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I'm so bummed, I noticed scratches on my roof yesterday. There are a whole lot of little scratches that make almost a full circle, like something round with an abrasive bottom was on the roof and then slid a quarter inch. I don't recall putting anything there... What's the best way to remove them? WIll claying and then waxing just that area help?
Not sure if they are REALLY scratches on my car, as I was able to scratch some of it off with my fingernail. I think claying will help tremendously. I keep getting crap on my car that I think is something terrible, and it turns out its just dirt (see my post about "rusting").

Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by tony2006
damn..my jazz vtec is only 3 weeks old, and i already found 3-4 scratches and swirls on the bonnet, looks like few lines as don't know what caused it..maybe it's scratched by the god damn branches that falls from the tree..or those idiots that washed my car..but can hand wash scratch your car??anyways..do any of you have any idea on how to get rid of those scratches found on your car??i tried to polish up using wax..it still doesn't help..any suggestions???

Chek out this: Langka Kit - Save Hundreds Fixing Your Own Paint Chips and Deep Scratches Just Like The Professionals Do At A Fraction Of The Cost

Old 06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Does a paint chip feel smooth? I'm trying to figure out what the white smudge on my VBP is.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cashondeb
I haven't noticed any swirling on my car....but scratches, yes! But that's because I have 5 cats, and a few of them like to get on my FIT (damb them) and they slip and slide getting up and down my car. Any recommendations on getting them to stay off my BOM (and don't say shot them, they are my babies)?
You could try an Battery Powered Ultrasonic Motion Sensing Animal Repeller (try and say that 5 times fast) but I don't know how stylish it would look on your Fit

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Does a paint chip feel smooth? I'm trying to figure out what the white smudge on my VBP is.
A paint chip does not feel smooth. You'll feel it when you run your fingertip over it. Perhaps showing a photo will give us a better idea.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Sport
A paint chip does not feel smooth. You'll feel it when you run your fingertip over it. Perhaps showing a photo will give us a better idea.
I tried to take a picture with my cell phone, and you couldn't see anything. I will try again with my digital camera. It's a completely smooth white smudge, and its fairly large.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
I tried to take a picture with my cell phone, and you couldn't see anything. I will try again with my digital camera. It's a completely smooth white smudge, and its fairly large.

it's probably something rubbed up against it or something hit the car in that spot.. i had white smudge when i got my door dinged and white smudge when a tree branch fell on my fender...

i used meguiars scratch X by hand and it removed the white smudge

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
It could be a clear coat scratch. Keep us posted.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Swirls caused from waxing / polishing with teflon?

I was told by a quality performance shop that I should not polish my 1 day old FiT for a very long time. He said that... he believes that Honda had teflon in their paint (from 2005+?) and when you polish / wax - you will get swirls. Don't know about that but just passing on the info.

My dealer tried to sell me paint protection polish, I declined and then forgetting that conversation on pick up day, he said that it would be a good year or two before I should have to wax/polish due to the clearcoat.
Well, well.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
its kinda crazy how so many people are having this problem, i mean this is no isolated event by any means. on the bottom of my front bumper i noticed what appeared to be a black smudge, upong rubbing my finger on it i noticed that it had depth, as in....paint had chipped off, the area is about 3/4 an inch long and about 1/4 of an inch wide, it bugs the hell out of me that this happened so soon, but i guess you cant stop rocks and road debris from kicking up at your car...oh well. then there are these tiny scratches (about half an inch long) around the driver side door handle, i count about 3 of em and they all look identical which is weird. i imagine the scratches occur when i unlock my door with my keys in my hand, and they graze the side of the car.....but juuuuust barely do they even touch my car and i get this, partially my fault i know but still caused by what i think is a shoddy paint job by honda, oh well.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Big scrape near trunk

I have shallow scratches all over my car, and I think its from my California duster, but at least there's no dust on it! I don't really care about any fine scratches I need to bob my head in the sunlight to see, but somehow I scraped ALL the paint off of an area about an inch long and about a quarter inch wide along the ledge near the hatch. I see black underneath. Based on how it's smooth on the side closer to the car and rough on the side away from it, it probably happened as I or someone else was pulling something out of the cargo area.

I'm getting my first oil change, the alignment fixed, my low mileage (I told the dealer 24 mpg, but I'm closer to 26 now) checked, and a tire repaired (looks like a bolt is buried in it) on Tuesday. Could this paint scrape be covered under warranty? If not, how could I fix it myself? I don't want anything to start rusting, nor do I want to spend a lot of money on this.

Also, I've scraped the front bumper going up my driveway a few times. Is there an easy and/or cheap way to fix that as well? Pictures of both will follow.

Last edited by LizardKing; 08-31-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
So the dealer told me my giant scratch won't be covered under warranty, which I had expected. I didn't get a quote to repair it, but I'm sure if I do it myself, it'll be less, plus I'll have left-over paint for the next scratch!

Anyway, the question is, do I need to use primer on the bumper? I see a dark gray color, and I don't know if this is the old primer or if it's the plastic itself. I know it'll be hard to answer without a picture, so I'll work on getting one up as soon as possible, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I haven't done any touch-up jobs before, but I know I'll need at least the base color and a clear coat (and maybe primer). Any recommendations for places to buy them, and whether pens or bottles are better?

One site I was looking at said the pens are ONLY for areas smaller than a pncil eraser. The area I'm looking at is about 5 pencil erasers long and one across. Could I still use a pen?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by g95pteg
it's probably something rubbed up against it or something hit the car in that spot.. i had white smudge when i got my door dinged and white smudge when a tree branch fell on my fender...

i used meguiars scratch X by hand and it removed the white smudge
ScratchX took it right out. I can see two tiny lines where the smudge used to be when I look at it just right.

But my front bumper on the driver's side got ALL scraped up! I think it's from when there was some work being done on my street, and the driveway was like 4 inches higher than normal (the road was really lower) and I went up the side that ALWAYS scrapes the car, only this is MUCH worse! Pics will follow...

Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
using microfiber cloths to dry helps to prevent swirls

Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I have the same problem on the passenger's side bumper. Wanna go in on some paint and try to fix them together? Its worth a shot before I take it to the shop.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I take my fit to the car wash and just use the high pressure rinse then I go home and wash the rest of the small partile dirt off of it using running water continuously over my bare hand as I rinse all of the dirt off (no rag), this meathod allows me to find anything on the paint easily and dirt will not imbed itself on my hand because I am coninuously running water over it, I then use soft Microtex rags to dry off the car then I will use eagle one nano wax or every three times I will use standard turtle wax. I will say that the paint is really my only concern with my fit, but I keep it in the garage when parked, I dont use my fit to commute to work just for pleasure and to run to the store every now and then, so it does'nt spend hardly any time outside.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM
ScratchX took it right out. I can see two tiny lines where the smudge used to be when I look at it just right.

But my front bumper on the driver's side got ALL scraped up! I think it's from when there was some work being done on my street, and the driveway was like 4 inches higher than normal (the road was really lower) and I went up the side that ALWAYS scrapes the car, only this is MUCH worse! Pics will follow...
Well, when the deer hit my car, that part was replaced so those scratches are all gone!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Well, when the deer hit my car, that part was replaced so those scratches are all gone!
That's the answer: when you have too many scratches, go deer hunting.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I just bought my car 2 days ago and mine had swirls on it straight from the dealership... I am a complete Newbtard with cars and my friends pointed them out to me. He said they probably dried my car with a dirt shammy.... So I went today to have another key laser cut and told them I wasn't happy with the swirls all over my car. They are going to take my car next week and buff it out. Thank goodness I could blame it on them . WOOT!

Quick Reply: how to get rid of the scratches on your car?