Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

how to clean the black rubber around the window outside??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:53 PM
how to clean the black rubber around the window outside??

i tried ti clean some dust off from that black rubber using an tissue..and afters wards it leaves 3 white lines on it??what is that ?! is that a scratch??! omfg..is there any way that i can get rid off these white line marks?????!><

Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 AM
i have my own detailing business and i use a product called wet&black to clean up that rubber.....and when waxing it would be a good idea to tape off that rubber...ive had many cars come in with the rubber all stained and messed up from the owner getting wax on it and not wiping it off

Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I use the Ice wax on the car and the trim, makes it nice and pretty

-joe

Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
I use the Ice wax on the car and the trim, makes it nice and pretty

-joe
Ice wax is a good top wax and does clean trim good but it really sucks at clean anything on the body of the car

Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Black parts around windows

I just noticed that I have a rock chip in the black paint on the door of the car where the windows roll up into (in the area directly behind the driver's head on the outside of the car). You can actually see the orange paint of the rest of the car underneath this paint...

Since the paint is a flat black, I am wondering what sort of touch up options I have. There does not seem to be anything offered on the website (that I can see) for purchase.

I initially thought of using a Sharpie marker, but then quickly punched myself in the head to get that idea out of my brain...

Thoughts?

Old 08-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Wow, if it's regular paint, think of the options man. You could COLOR match the pillars to the rest of the car??? I wonder if anyone has done that yet?

Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
My understanding is that it isn't paint, but essentially a large applique. I saw pics around fitfreak of someone who had peeled all the black off of their pillars.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Hmm, the applique things seems right. It doesn't seem like your typical paint chip and more like a tear into the material that is on the door. I guess I might be able to flatten out the tear and make it look fairly smooth...

Old 08-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I wonder if you could order a new piece to be installed? I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe worth a call to your local Honda dealer.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Packy
I wonder if you could order a new piece to be installed? I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe worth a call to your local Honda dealer.

Good luck!
When I picked up my Fit the area of this black trim at the rear of thefront drivers side door at the top was a little ragged. It's obviously an applique of some sort, looks like vinyl. Honda had to order a whole piece to have this replaced...what exactly the extent of this piece was I didn't ask. I was just glad to have it fixed because everytime I got into the car this was staring me in the face.

Hope this helps,

bob

Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Packy

Good luck!
If you register your Fit on Honda's website, you'll have access to the "Owners Link". In the parts-section you can order and pickup parts at a dealer of you choice (if they have the part). I remember seeing this applique there for about $12 depending if it is the top or side one. The website is below...

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda

Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Tried to fix a scratch but made it worse!!!!!!

The scratch is on the side rear door triangular matte black window trim. It was very small so I decided on buffing it off but it made the matte very glossy.

I then use some 2000 sand paper to get it less shiny and it got too dull and grey looking

Then I waxed the whole piece and it got shiny. Is this piece made of plastic? How can I get it to match the rest of the trim? Everytime I try to fix a scratch it seems to get worse. I included an older pic of the trim part I am talking about. Should I even bother on taking it somewhere so they can match the color to the rest of the trim?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
lol yeah that's plastic.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
sorry man... But thats just funny. Not laughin at you by the way, my recommendation could be Mothers "back to black" liquid. Helps the plastic go to its normal color an makes plastic scratches less visible. Dont actually know how bad the scratch is. But yeah, its plastic man.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
sorry if you thought I was laughing at "you" I was laughing at what you did. Things like that I'd leave alone until I find information on how to fix it. But you tried. Fits_all's idea is pretty good. i'd give that a shot.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
thanks. Back to black helped me some years ago, for example, when I though you could apply paste wax onto a plastic non painted bumper and buff-machine it. Try to do that(dont), youll end up with a flat surface, extra -ultra semi gloss plastic. But yeah, "back to black" helped me there, so I guess in your condition should be more effective. At least that's what I think. Think of it as an "stealth" solution, not a solving one.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
That black piece is easy to replace it's a vinyl plastic decal like thing that you can just peel off and install another piece. trying to buff or paint will never get you a match. Or just take them all off and run body color.
Glad my first post made people laugh a bit. I read it again and it is kind of funny. Anyway I don't think it is a decal on my car. It is a piece of thick plastic, I found out with a magnet last night after I logged off. Maybe in a different country is a decal? I don't know.

Even if I use the back to black, I will have to buff the other side also because now one side is very flat and somewhat shiny and the other is kind of poreous or rough to the touch, like a matte feel. As long as both pieces match each other appearance on each side I am ok with that.

That is what happens when I let my wife drive the car. She did it with the car keys while getting something in the back seat, or so she says. We have to share the car sometimes. Wonder what she will do to my rims someday

Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
check college hills honda $20 for a new piece

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by nsx280ps
check college hills honda $20 for a new piece
Thank you!!!!!!. Will order asap.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Boz
Im 33% polish so I use windex and It works fine with me. Cleans alright for the price and its not harsh enough to ruin the material....

Quick Reply: how to clean the black rubber around the window outside??