Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member

For those that would like to try the ILP to see if it will improve gas mileage, here are the instructions from the Helms service manual for a 2007 FIT, pg. 11-268

Then idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM/PCM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:

-replace ECM/PCM
-Reset ECM/PCM
-Update ECM/PCM
-Replace or clean throttle body

Note:Erasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.

Procedure

1. make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.

2. reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.

3. turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.

4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).

5. let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.)

Good luck... hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Seems a little different from the Pilot
But thanks for the hookup!
(had to look these up)
ECM = Engine control Module
PCM = Powertrain COntrol Module
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
HDS = Honda Diagnostic System (maybe)

Last edited by crimsona; 08-11-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crimsona
Seems a little different from the Pilot
But thanks for the hookup!
Yep, which is why I posted it. There seems to be differences on how this is accomplished and I guess it varies from model to model. These instructions are specific to the FIT.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM
How do you:

reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Weezer
How do you:

reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS?
HDS= Honda Diagnostic System.

I didn't have one, so I disconnected the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes instead.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
does it work?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Just tried it the other day... can't say for sure. The reason I posted this was so that others could try it if they wanted to find out for themselves if it helps them.

I'll post results of my mileage when I get to fill the tank next.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 PM
kkim (or anyone that's done the idle learn) -anxiously waiting - maybe this is the missing piece (i.e some dealers do it, some don't) Did it help??

Old 08-15-2006, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
LOL... haven't been through a complete tank yet, but I should be filling this evening. Will post the results once the numbers are in.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
so this way is Fit specific?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Filled the tank tonight and got 36.46mpg. I was hoping for a bit more as I have been averaging 32-35mpg before doing the ILP. Still, this was my highest reading to date, though I was being very careful on trying to maximize mpg. The tank before this one was about 35 mpg.

Still, I recommend you try it as the car seems to idle a bit smoother and the slight hesitation I had starting off in first, on occasion, seems to be gone.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by gimme
so this way is Fit specific?
No, it's the same for a Honda Stream, Honda civic EP3, Honda integra DC5, CRV, ...

Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by kkim
For those that would like to try the ILP to see if it will improve gas mileage, here are the instructions from the Helms service manual for a 2007 FIT, pg. 11-268

Procedure

1. make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.

2. reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.

3. turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.

4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).

5. let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.)
It seems that the idle learn procedure described in the technical manual is a shortened version of the one described in the 2007 Honda Fit PDI dated May 18, 2006:

37. Do the idle learn procedure (the engine should be warmed up and idling from step 36, and the cooling fans should have already cycled twice:

• Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio unit, defogger, lights, etc.) are off.

• Let the engine idle (throttle closed and all electrical items off) for 10 minutes

The latest PDI also states that it supersedes the preliminary PDI dated April 14, 2006. If you are going to go through the trouble of doing the idle learn procedure yourself, I would recommend doing the longer version just to be sure.

Last edited by claymore; 08-19-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 AM
when you say keep the throttle closed, does that mean just put the car in park?

i have an automatic base, i never know if you guys are talking only stick or auto. especially when you start saying throttle.

i notice my a drag in my car. when i need to excellerate quickly to merge or revover from some moron driving in front of me, i notice that the tycometer (is that the throttle thing? goes up to almost 4000 rpms before the car kicks in to high speed. then it drops down to 2000 or less. but i have to put my peddle on the meddle to get my car to move into a higer speed, is that normal?

Old 08-18-2006, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
when you say keep the throttle closed, does that mean just put the car in park?

"throttle closed" means keep your foot off the gas pedal.... just let it idle on it's own.

Last edited by kkim; 08-18-2006 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM
how do i know engine coolant temperature?

thank you so much for explainin throttle closed or for that sake what the heck a throttle is!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
how do i know engine coolant temperature?

thank you so much for explainin throttle closed or for that sake what the heck a throttle is!
no, you don't need to know what the temp is, just when you hear the fan come on, you'll notice it...

Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I tried it out today. I think it is acting slightly different. It seems to idle at a lower RPM now (under 1,000), and the transmission seems to be smoother where it once was not. I'll have to look into the MPG changes, if any, after the next few fill-ups.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
To date, I have averaged 29.5 mpg. I have almost 6,000 miles on my Fit.

I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to have my ECU reset with the HDS at my dealer, and to perform the idle-learn procedure. This probably wasn't done at PDI as they were in a rush to get it ready for me - they barely got it washed and cleaned up!!

I'll report back my finding after the procedure is done, and I run a tank through it - it'll probably be about this time next week when I report.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Unless you are having IDLE SPEED problems this fix is not going to do anything. All you are doing is putting the ECU back to normal specs and it will take into account your driving habits and you go right back to where you were before you started.

Why does everybody think your car has been mysteriously de-tuned and or the factory didn't set it correctly in the first place? This "Fix" is not a fix it is a normal after repairs or mods service procedure only to reset the ECU AFTER CHANGES. If you got your Fit and it had less than 100 miles how in the world could someone have made any changes. If your idle speed is normal don't waste your time doing this it will give you no changes and has nothing to do with mileage or smoothness.
You may be correct, however, why is it specified in the PDI?

Quick Reply: ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure