Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Possibly Transmission or Shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Possibly Transmission or Shifter issue

Hello,

I had posted a similar thread elsewhere in the forum, but think this might be the better sub for my problem.

I am driving a '13 MT Sport Fit which I bought last September. It has about 12K miles on it. After a few thousand miles I noticed a clicking noise and feel when shifting from 1st into 2nd. It was more evident when I shift at higher RPM's but is still noticeable when I shift as low as 2500 or 2750. My standard shift points are between 3-3500.

The second issue involves 5th gear. When shifting into 5th, it is a mixed bag. Sometimes it all slides right in, and sometimes it feels like it is scraping against a wall or something similar. It is also very common to a hear a rattle when in 5th, sometimes soft and sometimes loud enough to hear over the radio. And sometimes no noise at all. All I have to do is rest my hand on my shifter, or slightly press it in any direction and the noise will stop but as soon as I release my hand it comes back.

I recently was at the dealer for both issues. The 2nd gear issue the dealer wrote off and said it was "normal" due to the fact that it was not hard to get into the gear. I was not too pleased with that answer and feel like it is probably related to whatever issue is going on with 5th so I plan to press it more.

Unfortunately for the issue in 5th, it was poring rain when I went out with the tech. He tried to say he did not feel anything during the shift into second but one of the clicks was very noticeable so that is when he said it was normal. He said he did not feel anything when moving into 5th and due to the rain the rattling sound was to soft to hear.

I will be bringing it back in for the 5th gear and to press the issue in 2nd further, but was really hoping to get some kind of feed back. They said until they have something conclusive during a drive with the car they will not look into any of the issues further. I am headed back next week, but if anyone has any advice or has had similar issues (with hopeful resolutions) that would be very helpful to me. The tech also said at this specific dealership, they had not done any work on any of the 2013 MT fits, so I am not sure how they would or would not know if something was normal if they had done no work on them yet.