Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Misfire Problem SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Thumbs up Misfire Problem SOLVED

I was one of the first Fit purchasers in the US. Purchased an '07 Sport Fit in September '06. I'm a 5-speed driver, so misfires are a REAL drag when banging through the gears.

The misfire started at about 80K miles. The car now has 125K miles. To say I'm sick of this problem is the understatement of the decade. I took it to two Honda dealerships a total of five times. I even took this issue up with American Honda Motor Company. Seems no one at Honda has any clue how to fix this problem when no error code is thrown.

Here's the deal, the first generation Fits are prone to this problem. The coil packs fail at around 75K miles. This is well documented in many Internet forums. When your first gen Fit develops the misfire - and it will - don't fiddle around. Replace all four coil packs. And DO NOT buy then from your Honda dealer. You'll get reamed on the price. Order four (4) Denso OEM coil pack units from partsgeekDOTcom. They're $65 each there.

I replaced all four coil packs today. And just for fun, I test drove it after each unit was replaced. Each replaced unit produced slight improvement. But apparently the #4 cylinder coil pack was the weakest one of the bunch, because when that one was replaced the misfires went away entirely. Even my 15 year old son who isn't a car nut like his dad was able to feel the increased power and smoothness during his evening driving lesson tonight. He also noticed that the K&N Typhoon intake system is quite a bit noisier when the engine is revving with no hesitation.

Got a misfire in your first gen Fit? Replace the coil packs and thank this forum when you do.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I'm currently sitting at the mechanic shop and my 2007 Fit has the same problem. The guy here said that the dealership parts were cheaper to get than anywhere else. I'm getting the 4 spark plugs and 4 coils replaced. 86.20 for the plugs and 406.80 for the coils!! I'm afraid to confront the guy on this because I know I can get cheaper ones...I just don't know what to do. I'm looking at almost $700 for this thing.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
140K and no misfires. Must be lucky.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 AM
I also replace my coil pack but with the hitachi one , at rockauto.com. It cost me 52$ cad each and wow.. the cars its so much fun to drive now !! Its a world of difference!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
No misfires here @ 110K miles.

BUT

We did do the valve adjustment at 62 K miles. Will prob check them again this summer.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
I can speculate that frequent need for valve adjustment is due to cheap engine oil use such as Supertech from Walmart The rocker arms on this car are aluminum so they will wear out much faster than hardened steel or polished cast iron arms on older cars
Two times I used Autozone brand oil and noticed engine ticking noise and piston slap noise. Switched back to Quaker State (same oil dealer put into my car since it was new) and noise is gone.
My relative goes to very expensive service station (they use Valvoline out of the quart cans) and no misfire at 100k

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Mine went at 88,000mi. It was like someone flipped a switch. Replaced packs and plugs.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitNFoxxy
I'm currently sitting at the mechanic shop and my 2007 Fit has the same problem. The guy here said that the dealership parts were cheaper to get than anywhere else. I'm getting the 4 spark plugs and 4 coils replaced. 86.20 for the plugs and 406.80 for the coils!! I'm afraid to confront the guy on this because I know I can get cheaper ones...I just don't know what to do. I'm looking at almost $700 for this thing.
Wow, afraid to confront somebody when it's costing you unnecessary cash. Maybe some assertion training would help.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:51 PM
so I am pretty sure im misfiring...

I have a noticeably louder idle, its slower off the line, and i took a video of my engine when she was parked and making the horrible sounds... 98000 miles, bought it at 23000 09 honda fit sport 5spd. I took a job deliverering auto parts up and down the bay area (CA) and racked up 30000 in about three months and she has hated me ever since... but i changed the oil every 7500, using 5w-20 ful syn mobil 1, a few different filters, but i think i like the fram, purely asthetics... umm no engine mods, but I did use Denso plugs at 93---, but she seems worse. I have checked the first two since putting them in and the plugs seem darker, I will go get electronic cleaner, after researching proper procedure, and check/ clean other two plugs/packs. I am basically broke tho, and I was planning on driving back to OH....Oh and i have an alignment problem that Firestone can't fix... they say it has a pull to the right, and with no adjustments on the rear, it cant be fixed without mod. I kept asking about the struts-shocks but they kinda blow me off... My unhappiness with auto mechanics has prompted me to learn as much as possible. I feel like I am going to get pulled over for drunk driving because my car pulls the right, i barely correct it and it like, slams left, its madness.I almost want to sell it and be rid of the problems... but with the current problems and some damages, the value and potential trade in, I don't know what to do.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:01 PM
I have been fighting with random misfiring on my 08 Fit Sport for a long time. Recently regapping the spark plugs to 0.44, and it seems to do the trick.

It first started at about 60K, with misfiring at random timing. I even had car stopped on the road couple times when the misfiring got worse, but some days it runs without problem. I then started to add fuel cleaner everytime I filled up my tank, and it seems helping. Then issue got worse again at about 90K. No clue what caused the issue, and car was at 90K, time for major service anyways. So I replaced everything needed for 90K maintenance, still misfiring ?!! Then I finally replaced 4 coil packs, problem solved ...... only for 6 months.

The coil packs I replaced were from Ebay, off brand, so I didn't really trust them anyways, so I replaced them again with OE replacement from my local supplier. Quality seems to be better than Ebay ones, and they sure fixed the problem again ....... for another 8 months. Although, the misfiring symptoms was not as bad as Ebay ones had caused; the car was still drive-able, and felt normal at normal RPM but power lost, and hesitation when accelerating.

After driving it for another few months, I decided to give it a try on regapping my spark plugs to 0.44 as I found some people mentioned online. My spark plugs are OEM NGK iridium, and they have 0.51 gap from factory. I reduced the gap on each plug to 0.44, then put everything back in without changing anything. After that, I decided to give it a test drive .... man, it runs excellent!!

The car has been running normal for a week. No more hesitation at accelerating, and car runs "lighter" on freeway ( power is back ) !!!. We will see how long it could stay good!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
problem not solved 100%

so a week ago I put denso iridium plugs in, and 4, brand new hitachi coil packs. Used the hot screw paste on'em, and dielectric paste etc, and torqued plugs and bolts to specification.

Car runs great, got a bit of its missing power back, but on idling speeds, I still get a little bit of the hiccups that started at ~70k miles.

What could the problem be? I know I need to adjust the valves, but they aren't terrible (I think). Any ideas folks?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Get back to us after you adjust the valves.

We checked our valves twice (every 60K miles) and the exhausts were TIGHT both times.

DO IT.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by yarek
so a week ago I put denso iridium plugs in, and 4, brand new hitachi coil packs. Used the hot screw paste on'em, and dielectric paste etc, and torqued plugs and bolts to specification.

Car runs great, got a bit of its missing power back, but on idling speeds, I still get a little bit of the hiccups that started at ~70k miles.

What could the problem be? I know I need to adjust the valves, but they aren't terrible (I think). Any ideas folks?
Clean iacv

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
ADJUST THE VALVES !!!!! Its too easy to keep dodging..

Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
any hints on where the IACV valve is? I was searching youtube but it only shows Honda Accord, not the fit. Again, it's the 1.5L engine I have.

Been too busy lately to get to the valves, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Not 100% sure but I don't think the fit (At least my 07) has an IACV. I believe it uses the throttle plate servo to control idle.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 AM
wow almost 205,000 km on mine and no misfires.... so lucky engine doesn't burn a drop of oil either!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
ADJUST THE VALVES !!!!! Its too easy to keep dodging..
Finally got to it yesterday. All but one intake valves were loose, and all exhaust valves were too tight. After I was done with it I ran the engine until the 'cold engine' light disappeared and the idle seemed somewhat smoother but still not perfect. I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see if any of the missing power came back. I noticed that lately it wasn't getting to the redline as happily as it used to...

My spark plugs have a fairly small gap. I don't remember what it was, but I think it was about half of what Honda recommends. But there are also smaller Ir spot plugs.

BTW, any consensus on the IACV? does 2008 Fit has it or not? and what does it look like?

Last edited by yarek; 06-20-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Miss fire help please!

Originally Posted by FitNerd
I was one of the first Fit purchasers in the US. Purchased an '07 Sport Fit in September '06. I'm a 5-speed driver, so misfires are a REAL drag when banging through the gears.

The misfire started at about 80K miles. The car now has 125K miles. To say I'm sick of this problem is the understatement of the decade. I took it to two Honda dealerships a total of five times. I even took this issue up with American Honda Motor Company. Seems no one at Honda has any clue how to fix this problem when no error code is thrown.

Here's the deal, the first generation Fits are prone to this problem. The coil packs fail at around 75K miles. This is well documented in many Internet forums. When your first gen Fit develops the misfire - and it will - don't fiddle around. Replace all four coil packs. And DO NOT buy then from your Honda dealer. You'll get reamed on the price. Order four (4) Denso OEM coil pack units from partsgeekDOTcom. They're $65 each there.

I replaced all four coil packs today. And just for fun, I test drove it after each unit was replaced. Each replaced unit produced slight improvement. But apparently the #4 cylinder coil pack was the weakest one of the bunch, because when that one was replaced the misfires went away entirely. Even my 15 year old son who isn't a car nut like his dad was able to feel the increased power and smoothness during his evening driving lesson tonight. He also noticed that the K&N Typhoon intake system is quite a bit noisier when the engine is revving with no hesitation.

Got a misfire in your first gen Fit? Replace the coil packs and thank this forum when you do.
I have a 2013 Honda Fit. Miss firing cylinder 4 only. Injector is good, coil pack is good. Spark plug was burnt out. That was replaced and now it's telling me there is no ground to the injector, therefore no fuel can in, causing my miss fire, does this me a wire, and if so does anyone have the diagram for my Honda's fuel injection wiring harness.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
problem fixed

well, I wish I updated you guys earlier. After a couple of days of driving (after I first replaced the spark plugs and coil packs, and then adjusted the valves) all the misfires went completely away. I've done about 10k miles since then and it's running like brand new (now at 107k).

To reiterate: replacing the coil packs and spark plugs helped a little. But valve adjustment really did the trick.

Quick Reply: Misfire Problem SOLVED