Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Honda HDS HIM diagnostic system review/info

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Honda HDS HIM diagnostic system review/info

So I have had a lot of question on my HDS clone setup lately so I thought I would do a bit of a review. HDS is a general term for Honda's Diagnostic System. HIM is the specific tool (Honda Interface Module). Honda has had several tools, the HIM is two or three generations old, but the newer ones are not cloned yet (GNA600 & MVCI).
So if you don’t know there are all kinds of clones of Honda’s HDS HIM diagnostic system out there on the internets. I made a leap of faith and picked one up on DHgate.com about two years ago to reprogram my TPMS sensors (I hate you Honda for this TPMS crap system). I was hesitant because it did not state that it supported my 2011 Fit. The cracked HDS software version that came with it did not cover my car, but I was able to find a newer version (V2.024.05) on the internet that worked. I have successfully used the TPMS features, CKP relearn, idle relearn, ECU reset, and cleared DTS faults. I belive this thing can data log, reprogram gauge clusters, and reprogram the immobilizer for new keys, but have not tried these things yet.

Here is a pic of mine if it helps.

It came with various connectors for self-verification testing too.

So the HDS only has a RS232 DB9 serial port (no usb),and most laptops don't have them anymore. The adaptor will plug into your laptops usb and replicate a RS232 port. You will probably need a RS232 to USB adaptor too. I have always had good luck with FTDI adapters. Future Technology Devices Intl - UC232R-10 The HDS will only connect to com port 1. So you may have to change your com port assigned number when you use a usb adapter. I have only used the HDS on a windows XP laptop so I cannot confirm this works on newer Windows.

Here is another possible option I have not tried yet, but would love to because it is much cheaper and uses USB! Looks like it uses the same HDS software!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-Tuning-HDS-Diagnostic-Cable-For-Honda-/360738677104?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53fdb36170&vxp=mtr
And if you are going to do TPMS you might want to look at triggering tools, if not you have to deflate and re-inflate a wheel to trigger the sensor. Our TPMS sensors only only transmit when they are spinning over ~26MPH, detect a rapid pressure change, or are triggered with a 125Mhz signal. Here is the trigger tool I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIPS003B-Tire-Inflation-Positioning-Sensor-Switch-Tool-Cars-Trucks-Valve-Wheel-/191026626567?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2c7a130007&vxp=mtrBut I found one on ebay used for $50.

Overall this is a very powerful tool that lets you do about everything the dealer can!
The factory service manual pretty much explains how to use the HDS in all of Honda's trouble shooting procedures. All of the things I have used have matched up, like TPMS and CKP relearn.

This is the closest thing to a manual for the HDS itself I could find:
http://www.motodok.com/Documentation...-Acura-hds.pdf

Here are a few more things it claims to do:

Honda functions include:
• DTC reading and clearing
• Snapshot function (capture data relative to a trigger event)
• Vehicle data display (value, line graph, or bar graph formats)
• DLC locator diagrams
• Data list display (real-time display of ECU parameters)
• Onboard tutorial
• Generic scan tool runs basic tests on non-Honda/Acura vehicles (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)
• Control module update functions (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)

Last edited by jibberjabbs; 01-16-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I always thought those things were much more limited... good info. Got to look in to one of these.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Awesome, so what can it do and how well does it do it? How easy is it to use? Just a short list of most useful stuff would be cool.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Awesome, so what can it do and how well does it do it? How easy is it to use? Just a short list of most useful stuff would be cool.
The factory service manual pretty much explains how to use the HDS in all of Honda's trouble shooting procedures. All of the things I have used have matched up, like TPMS and CKP relearn.

This is the closest thing to a manual for the HDS itself I could find:
http://www.motodok.com/Documentation...-Acura-hds.pdf

Here are a few more things it claims to do:

Honda functions include:
• DTC reading and clearing
• Snapshot function (capture data relative to a trigger event)
• Vehicle data display (value, line graph, or bar graph formats)
• DLC locator diagrams
• Data list display (real-time display of ECU parameters)
• Onboard tutorial
• Generic scan tool runs basic tests on non-Honda/Acura vehicles (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)
• Control module update functions (HDS Tablet and Pocket Tester only)

Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I brought a 2013 Auto Scanner for Honda Him HDS Tool Car Diagnostic Tool RS232 USB Cable from Zeus Tech on eBay. Just got it hooked up to my 2009 Honda Fit Sport. It work fine.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
You guys throw away your old stuff too? Lol.....at one point I have a complete library of FSM's......

I hate the newer HDS, you have to log in and if you don't after so many times you haven't it locks itself up...

Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hello,

Did anybody here ever successfully used this tool with Windows 7?
I don't have windows XP computer anymore...

Thanks

Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hello,

Did anybody here ever successfully used this tool with Windows 7?
I don't have windows XP computer anymore...

Thanks
Yes, I have used it successfully with Windows 7.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Hello,

Do you guys know if it is a good idea to get an independent power supply for the HIM, as if you turn back the ignition key or start the car the power supply cuts off and that supposedly reboots (and damages?!) the HIM module.

Thx

Old 05-22-2015, 07:38 PM
How's it going?

Hi there jibberjabs, i am thinking of getting one of these from alibaba and was wondering if you had managed to use any of the dealer functions? In particular immo key registering and module replace sync, test via laptop control, ecu programming?
If you have tried any of these did you need to enter a password (from honda iN system or a code calculator)? I'd like to know how if any of these calculators work.
I would appreciate any help or advise you can give me. I was also looking at the MVCI x-horse but not sure if that can do the special functions.
Would be good to hear from you.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:39 PM
HDS HIM PCM Password

I have been doing a lot of digging around and seen that some websites claim to do this like icc and:

but you have to register and pay for tokens. But i found this:

which is some free software but you have to buy the dongle.
If you do get a chance to try one of these functions you may be able to get one code free on the weboctpus link as advertised.

So from your experience it seems it may be worth getting one just for the diagnostics and calibration.

I guess these modules are update-able in terms of HDS software? The other thing ive been told is to make sure it is double board.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Sorry the links didn't come out.

I have been doing a lot of digging around and seen that some websites claim to do this like icc and:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...93990622,d.ZGU

Honda HDS IMMO PCM Code Calculator

If you do get a chance to try one of these functions you may be able to get one code free on the weboctpus link as advertised.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by bonylad
You guys throw away your old stuff too? Lol.....at one point I have a complete library of FSM's......

I hate the newer HDS, you have to log in and if you don't after so many times you haven't it locks itself up...
What happens to the new hds? Log in when you want to use it or are you talking about the passwords for dealer functions? What version are you referring trouble and what version is best?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:37 AM
cruise control

i have HDS (3.015.020 verison) loaded on win xp, i found no where to activate the cruise control software, any instruction will be appreciated
and how load it work on win 7

Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Liliflower
i have HDS (3.015.020 verison) loaded on win xp, i found no where to activate the cruise control software, any instruction will be appreciated
and how load it work on win 7
What are you attempting to do with the HDS?

I have not used the version you have, but the older versions work on win7 for me.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 AM
I just want to get the code read and cleared. And also need some module upgraded. I have a XP laptop and loaded OK

Old 08-28-2015, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
People having Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate can use the Windows XP Mode:
Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by vipt20
Sorry the links didn't come out.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...93990622,d.ZGU

[url=http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/hds-immo-pcm-code-calculator-for-honda.html[/url]

the HDS IMMO Code calculator is required when access to some control modules/some functions
Package Offer V3.015.20 HDS HIM Diagnostic Tool Plus HDS IMMO PCM Code Calculator for Honda
HDS system with HDS IMMO calculator costs less

Last edited by Liliflower; 12-16-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
I am happy to report that by learning from Jibberjabbs post here, I finally figure out how to get my HIM diagnostic tools running. Thanks Jibberjabbs.

So I bought this on eBay exactly months ago,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221181010022?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Good seller, fast shipping, and I haven't tried it until yesterday.
I install the software following the video, but somehow I can't get the unit to connect.
I do notice that when I plug in my USB to Serial adapter that came included with this unit, the laptop told me fail to install driver... so after doing deduction, I finally realize the problem is the USB to Serial Adapter.
I tried to install the driver that came with the USB to Serial Adapter, but the software have error, could not even start installing it.
I look at the website and try to download from the manufacturer, but each time I click download, it is block by the host/manufacturer website...
what the...

so I think,... hmmm there must be only handful of chip manufacturer for this device so I RANDOMLY download several USB to Serial adapter from internet and finally by trial and error (luckily I am right on the second download), I got the serial driver to work!

Ok.. so I test again and I still fail to connect,
so I look at the best source for Honda Fit which is... FITFREAK hahaha...
and got into this thread and realize that Jibberjabbs point out, I need to set to
COM1

Yes, that is the key COM1,...

and I just finished using this HIM for Learning the Throttle Position again after installing the MaxBore Larger Throttle Body !!!

I am so relief and happy now...
because this open another way for the Sprintex install that will need this tool!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:41 PM
help!!

hi, i have a problem whit my honda him
the sistems functions dont work but the dtc search works good
anyone know whats wrong??

Quick Reply: Honda HDS HIM diagnostic system review/info