Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

They say I need a new throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Angry They say I need a new throttle body

I have a 2009 Fit with less than 30,000 miles on it (I don't go very far...). The past two mornings I have had acceleration problems. Yesterday, the repair at the dealership mentioned it may be a loose fuel cap. I tightened cap, and voila! Proper acceleration, and I drove it around all day. This a.m., again, engine light (not blinking) on, and very little acceleration. Drove it slowly to dealership, they ran the code and said I need new throttle body to the tune of $1000 bucks.

Anyone else have this experience? I don't trust the diagnosis...

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Can you drive the car still? I'd take it to autozone or buy my own code reader first. Find the code, do an online search and see what it come up with. Share that code on this forum and there are plenty of helpful owners here.

My personal take: Not sure about the miles and without codes It's just a guess but the MAF sensor is a cornerstone for this car....if it goes bad, you're dead in the water....but since you're still driving it could be a coil pack or plug....call Honda customer service, give them your vin and confirm any warranties for throttle body, coil packs since you fall in mileage.....

Biggest thing is get the CEL code first!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I was barely able to drive it. I had to do that drive on the right and wave people past me thing. This is the first time I've been hit with a major repair on the basis of a code, so I'm a little blindsided & didn't think to ask for the code. Thought I asked them for more details & waiting for them to get back to me.

Just a quick question (and thank you very much for your response!).. is the MAF sensor the same as the throttle body, or is it a component of the throttle body? Maybe it's just the MAF sensor that is bad....

Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
If you open up your hood and find your air intake (to the left of the battery, it's huge), the MAF(mass air flow) sensor is located on top of box where your filter is.

These things can go bad over time and I had the unpleasant experience of having mine go out.....I could barely drive and then the car would just stumble and turn off. Repair to the tune of 1k....and it turns out all I really needed was a new MAF sensor (but the dealership replaced coils, plugs and the sensor)

Since then I drive with a can of MAF sensor cleaner in the trunk just in case and have recently purchased a spare MAF online...all just in case

Back to your scenario: do you have anyone handy in the family? I ask because there is an ebay seller that has a throttle body for the fit and he is selling it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Throttle-Body-Assembly-Honda-Fit-2009-L15A7-1-5-/291113651361?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c7b9cca1

You'll find his prices are WAY fair....but I doubt it's the throttle body...

If there is an autozone or advance auto nearby, I'd go there and get a can of MAF sensor cleaner, use a star screwdriver to get the sensor out, and give the sensor area a few bursts....

Dont ask the dealership to do this....they'll probably BS you since they have you in the pipeline for a 1k repair...mine told me they didnt know about such a cleaner and could spray brake cleaner if I wanted (yeah right....would have killed the sensor)

Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks so much, Santiad. I'm lucky to have a fairly handy husband, so I can pass on this information. I really do appreciate your ideas on this. Stressed to the max about it, though. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
You're welcome...

remember Autozone and Advance can pull the codes for free and tell you what they are....just write them down and check online.

If it is the throttle body or anything along that route (coil pack, etc) you can do this own your own (through your husband ).

Not that hard, just alot of time since you'll have to take off the wipers, the wiper motor, cowl cover, cowl plate, etc.....lots of screws and clips but it's straightforward and will get you very "intimate" with your fit.

It's its the sensor, well that 30 minutes (5 to get it out and clean, 25 to clean, let it dry, then reinstall).

Good luck....keep us updated since it may help someone else down the road!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Santiad: the I got from the dealer is P2101.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lisa_marie23
Santiad: the I got from the dealer is P2101.
ETCSMDTC

P2101: Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) Malfunction
So yea if the proper diagnosis was performed than the throttle body would need to be replaced. Theres really no way around that if the throttle body sensor itself is bad. Hopefully the Tech diagnosed it properly tho. If I were you I would erase the DTC and drive it around and see how fast the code reappears. It COULD just be intermittent. This is strange to me cause I have yet to come across a bad Throttle body on 2nd gen fits, but never say never.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
damn....

I agree with D429302.....disconnect the black cable on the battery for 10 mins (make sure you have the radio code first though.....I saved mine to the notepad on my phone but you should have it somewhere)

reconnect and see how quickly it comes back.

BTW here is another site we all use for parts (it WILL be cheaper than what the dealership quotes since they mark it up) OEM Honda Parts & Honda Accessories - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

these are oem parts....even if you go to an independent mechanic, always use OEM parts when it comes down to parts that will be used under the hood.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you both, Santiad and D429302 for your help. The dealership did insist that replacement is the only fix (apologetically). At this point, I don't know if I want to put my hubby under the stress of fixing it or attempting to fix it. Honda will definitely be hearing from me, though, for whatever good it will do.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
well...call their Customer Care number...you call under warranty mileage and years and the throttle body certainly isn't a part that is replaced often...ask the service manager for a goodwill repair also, never hurts.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Good news! While I had planned on writing some letters today (I had to go home to get VIN), I got a message from my dealership repair that the part *is* under warranty, and it will be done at no cost. So, Whew! However, the fact that the part can't be cleaned and must be replaced because it is a "closed unit" (as explained to me) seems like a very bad design. Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 PM
I was about to ask about warranty, then got to the OP's post at the bottom. I see many folks on auto forums spending their own $$ and time chasing around an issue that should be covered under warranty. Everyone should read their owner's manuals: in the USA, there are various warranties besides the standard OEM bumper-to-bumper, and of course there are the classic "goodwill" repairs, so the first thought on anything but a standard maintenance item should be "can I get Honda to pay for it?"

Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
So true. Now, I am a lot smarter, and will definitely know better how to handle such situations. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 PM
So did replacing the throttle body fix the issue?

Old 08-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by tapatio1
So did replacing the throttle body fix the issue?
Bump

Tired of this piece of shit not working properly.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:23 PM
That was 6 years ago, Tapatio.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:15 AM
And this is the last Honda I buy. I have maintained this vehicle perfectly from day one and it’s falling apart at 70K miles. Bunch of bullshit.

UPDATE:

I had to replace the throttle body. Honda's are pieces of shit now. So sad to see them go from top dog back in the late 90's early 2000's to what they have become now. I'm done with this brand. Off to Tesla for my next car.

Last edited by tapatio1; 09-24-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by beginhere
This is sadly probably the last Honda I buy. I can't believe this fuel injector issue is not a recall. I have a 2016 with 65k miles. I got the P219A code and took it in to the shop. They gave me an estimate for $2500 (labor plus cost of parts including brand new injectors and fuel rail). They also stipulated that it may be more if they see the head needs to be replaced! This is unbelievable and I never thought I would be dealing with this on a 5 year old Honda.
Another update: I ended up finding a used throttle body on EBay for $45. I took it to my local mechanic and he charged me $150 for install and reprogram. So the total ended up being about $200 to fix the issue. It’s been driving well since then. I still won’t be buying a Honda again but at least I didn’t have to junk this one as there’s no way I would have put $2500 into it to fix it at the dealer.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:32 PM
2018 problem

I am having the same problem but i have a 2018.
P219a and P0420.
My MPG dropped from 35-37 to 30-32.
Also it only comes on when the weather gets below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. But still with the light off i have poor MPGs.

Ive only seen people post on here with ‘15-‘16 problems. Is it possible I have another issue?

Quick Reply: They say I need a new throttle body