Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Not your standard OBD II thread...

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Not your standard OBD II thread...

Hey all,

I purchased a 2013 Honda Fit Sport new recently and I am thoroughly enjoying it! This isn't my first post, but hopefully this will be close enough...

Being a bit of a hacker/nerd, today I spent some time messing with the raw OBD II interface and scoured the internet for some Honda specific OBD II information.

Yes, we all know you can pull trouble codes, clear them, and track live system information such as throttle position, MAF voltages, O2 sensor readings... and all that... But you can also use the OBD II port to communicate directly with pretty much every electrical system in the car and tell it to do lots of... interesting things. Like:

- force the instrument cluster's display to display whatever you want.
- bounce the tach needle around
- slam on the brakes for you on command...

You just need to know the Honda communication specifications... which Honda (and pretty much every company except big rig manufacturers) keeps proprietary.

Has anyone here played with this kind of thing with the fit specifically? Are there any mechanics that might have a few leads on this kind of information?

Specifically, I'm looking for the Enhanced Diagnostics modes for the ISO 15765-4 (CAN 29/500) diagnostic protocol (the OBD II protocol the 2013 Honda Fit uses).

Some more food for thought (sorry, these aren't specific to the Fit/Jazz):
http://www.canbushack.com/blog/index.php?title=service-s-please

Thanks!
Jamis

Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
That sounds pretty cool, not sure how many of us are capable of pulling off a feat like that!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, good luck.

I know that whenever I have attempted to improve performance (whether it be with mechanical mods or programming) I usually don't see much of a benefit!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 PM
My goal with this isn't to change any of the performance characteristics but more to just see what's on the cars CAN bus.

This is the exact technique used in a lot of those self driving car projects... The steering, brakes, accelerator, and transmission are all computer controlled anyways... So just tell them what to do.

So, mostly, for fun!