Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Is AC compressor install a DIY job?

Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Is AC compressor install a DIY job?

I am unemployed and exploring my options....

My AC compressor is dead. Local shop says $700 for the parts alone, which would turn into $1000 with labor.

I see used compressors off of wrecks on ebay for $100 or so.

I am willing to take the gamble on the part, especially with a warranty.

Is the install a DIY job? I have a fair amount of shade tree mechanic experience under my belt. I would have the coolant added by a shop.

On the disassembly, is there coolant capture to think about?

Thanks for the advice.

D.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 AM
It's not a DIY job I would even consider tackling. If there's refrigerant left in the system, recapture ought to be a consideration (for legal/environmental reasons mainly). There is also the dangers associated with relatively high pressure gasses and the potential for frostbite if they suddenly escape and similar things. You may also need unusual tools for the various fittings—I'm not really sure there. You also need to avoid getting contamination in the system; it would not take much dirt at all to mess up parts of the system, particularly the thermal expansion valve and compressor.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
All valid points by DrewE.

I'd ask the A/C shop if they could evacuate the system first (making note of the amount of recovered R134 for a credit). THEN, DIY the new compressor you bought. THEN, have the shop recharge and test the system.

Note that there are other components that A/C shops routinely replace when a system is opened up. They do this for valid reasons. Ask before you start wrenching.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don't mention the reason you are replacing the compressor, but if it has blown apart as CR-V compressors have been known to do, the entire system needs to be purged of the metallic shrapnel that results from the failure.

If only the compressor clutch needs to be replaced, you MIGHT be able to do this without releasing any R134...

Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If only the compressor clutch needs to be replaced, you MIGHT be able to do this without releasing any R134...
Quite likely, in fact, as the clutch is more a part of the pulley than the compressor itself. It appears you just the center bolt, possibly remove a snap ring or two, and apply a puller as needed. That's well within the abilities of many shade tree mechanics. Access to the clutch isn't ideal, but that's life with small cars and tight engine bays.

But...if it's only the clutch that's bad, why would the shop be quoting for a replacement compressor? The clutch is available separately, for less money, and is less work to replace. Any shop that recommended the complete compressor replacement when only the clutch was bad is incompetent or worse. (Of course, if the compressor is worn but still working, it may be sensible to replace them together rather than do just the clutch...but I suspect that's not the typical case.)

Old 07-05-2014, 12:59 PM
legally, this is a shop only job unless you are certified.

Honestly though, no one will care.

I bet you can change the compressor in less then 30 minutes. Go spend 20-50 bucks on a can of AC recharge with the handle/pump thing, and be on your way.

OR

If you are unemployed, skip the repair until you are employed again. Consider it a bonus or gift of some sort, to fix it when you are getting that paper again!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
I had this job done on my car. My car did indeed need the full compressor, not just the clutch. It was a 2.7 hour job at my mechanic. I used a junkyard compressor as well. I expected my mechanic to push me to use a 3rd party remanufactured compressor (I think you can get them for the mid $200's after coupons, etc) since that would have made his life easier, but he thought a salvage one was better. I guess he has seen a lot of really poorly put together remanufactured's, so his advice was that, obviously the new expensive Honda parts were the best, but that salvage parts were the best budget option. The warranty on remanufactureds is appallingly short; like 3 months or 6 months.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice.

I can live without air for a long time. The only annoyance is the noise the dead compressor makes.

I will be selling the car within the next year or so, and that is really the only reason I have to fix the AC.

I guess I could sell the car as is, with an appropriate discount for the non-functioning AC.

Again, Thanks.