Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Brake pedal activates lights without a key

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Brake pedal activates lights without a key

So I didnt drive my 07 Fit during the winter. The battery died. I charged it back up and finally reinstalled it and fired up the Fit. My passenger rear bottom brake light wont turn on even with a new LED bulb.

I drove it and noticed a weird clicking noise when I pressed the brake pedal. When I hit the brake pedal my center console lights, hazard button light, and front parking lights come on when I hit the brakes.

When I park the car and take the key out I can press the brake pedal and all those lights come on. With the door open, still with the key NOT in the ignition, the lights come on and the car dings like as if I left the key in the ignition.

Has this happened to someone else? How do I fix it?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 AM
I haven't encountered this specific problem before.

It sounds to me like you have some sort of a cross connection or short circuit between the brake lights and the tail lights/turn signals. Since the one brake light isn't working, it stands to reason that probably the wiring problem is associated with that location.

My first troubleshooting step would be to remove the bulb that isn't working and seeing if the brake lights work normally (except, of course, for the one that isn't there). If so, perhaps the bulb is broken, inserted wrongly, or the socket connections are bad. If the lights still don't work properly, I'd start tracing and checking the wiring from that light cluster back until I found where something was amiss—looking for things like chafing of the wires, rodent damage, etc.

Hope that helps. (By the way, the brake lights generally operate any time the brake pedal is pressed, key or no key, on most if not all cars.)

Old 04-15-2015, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drewe

my first troubleshooting step would be to remove the bulb that isn't working and seeing if the brake lights work normally (except, of course, for the one that isn't there). If so, perhaps the bulb is broken, inserted wrongly, or the socket connections are bad.

^^^ this

Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Its probably a problem with the LED bulb. I installed some in my tail lights and had a similar problem.