Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Egr valve and engine light

Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Egr valve and engine light

I'm new on this forum and have a questions about the EGR valve, that i hope one of you has an answer to.

My Honda Jazz (Fit) has a blocked off EGR-valve (the previous owner had this done). Because the engine light was on and started to bother me, i brought it to a car shop and had a new EGR valve installed, that i bought online (at the car shop i learned that the old valve was blocked off with a metal plate). As soon as i drove off (the engine light was off) the car started to shudder and shake. I probably drove about 500/600 metres and drove back to the car shop. Because i didn't have time to have him investigate any further he blocked off the new valve and my car drove as "smooth" as it did before with the old blocked off valve and the engine light is "on" again.

I'm a noob but tried to inform myself by reading different threads. I've been reading about the ECU and resetting it after modifications. Should that have been done in order to reset and avoid shuddering? Should something else have been installed/removed or cleaned besides the valve? Are there any other explanations? A friend of a friend repairs cars and i would like him to take a look. Could removing the plate and resetting the ECU resolve the problem?
I also find that the car has less mpg (kilometers in the Netherlands ;-) than could be expected of a car like this. Could this be related to the EGR situation?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm not a pro, but there should be a way to reset the ECU after reinstalling the EGR valve; probably involving pulling a fuse or the negative battery cable first. There's also an Idle Learn Procedure that may be part of the process. I'd Google it and/or search this forum for info.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks.

I will look into this Idle learn procedure.