Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Is it a remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Is it a remote starter?

So I just bought a used 2010 Honda Fit Sport! And I park it and go to lock it with the remote and the engine starts up by itself. doors locked. no key in the ignition. I do a double take, unlock the car, turn off the engine, and try it again. I press the lock button on my key and the car starts a few seconds later. this happens a few times, so I try just pressing the button once instead of twice, which seems to work.

The dealer doesn't know anything about this, and thinks I have a remote starter installed, but I can't find any paperwork on a remote starter for a honda fit sport that lets you use your original key (HLIK-1T). Anyone know anything? should I be searching for an electrical issue?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
You have a remote start installed, that's the only way the car would start like that.

Some types are able to use the original keyless fob (and this sounds you have like that type), you just do a certain button dance to start the car.

It's not factory installed and it's not a Honda genuine accessory.

It's an aftermarket system, although a dealership could have installed it.
Some dealerships do install aftermarket stuff, just like any other place.
Or it could have been installed by a box store like Circuit City, Best Buy, or any local stereo and electronics shop, etc.

If you want to know more about it, crawl under the dash and find the controller and find the names and numbers and google that.