Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Thermal Shield Intake Gasket

Old 02-15-2007, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Thermal Shield Intake Gasket

I was cruising around Password JDM's website and I found this part. They claim it adds horsepower and lowers intake temperature. Just wondering if its worth the 40 bucks and if it would really do what it claims? here's the link
Password:JDM Thermal Shield Intake Gasket (Honda) | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM

Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 AM
yeah this just replaces the stock intake manifold gasket, it stops metal to metal contact between the intake manifold and the head so it reduces the air temperature coming in. RSX people have been using it for a while now "with good results"

Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
i had a hondata one on my s2k and theres a company on the honda-tech forums selling these for $29 shipped.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
do you know the link? i dont cruise honda-tech too often just because i hate the people on there.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by quangalang
yeah this just replaces the stock intake manifold gasket, it stops metal to metal contact between the intake manifold and the head so it reduces the air temperature coming in. RSX people have been using it for a while now "with good results"
Yes, i have one on my EP3 and good result. It's a very good investment.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by integradriv3r
do you know the link? i dont cruise honda-tech too often just because i hate the people on there.
Honda-Tech.com: Performance: Power Rev Racing (P2R) Thermal Intake Gaskets

Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 PM
i had one on my B18 hatch, got it from passwordjdm, it melted within a few days, just went back to a stock gasket on a aftermarket intake manifold.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
There is a company called Outlaw Engineering and they make what they call Thermoblok spacers that put a fair amount of distance between the head and intake manifold and this does a number of things to help the motor. In some applications they all sell MAF spacers as well made of the same material serving the same function.

Here is the site: Outlaw Engineering

They dont have a GD3 application yet but im sure if a group of us showed them enough interest we can see a set of spacers show up in a matter of a few months. There is alot of interesting info on the site as well as testimonials and dynographs of pretty much all there applications. Its also one of the best bang for the bucks out there for HP gains. On my other car which isnt much more powerful then the Fit stock, a full set of these spacers registered about 5-6whp for less then 120 bucks. Now if they can get something similar for the Fit that would be an awesome value for the money.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
here is their reply:

Thank you for your interest in ThermoBlok Spacer Kits. We have been developing ThermoBlok insulators for many new applications, but the Fit's engine is not currently on the list. Our prototyping work order is organized by demand and to date, there hasn't been much interest in insulators for this motor, yet. We generally request 20 commitments prior to the design, prototyping, and production of a new performance part. Pricing for a set, including intake manifold and throttle body insulators along with necessary hardware such as lengthened studs would be in the $100 or less range.

Please assess the interest for your group and let us know.

Best Regards,
Sean Morgan
Outlaw Engineering

Old 03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
isn't the Fit's intake manifold made of composite already? so there wouldn't be much need for another plastic gasket.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
the top half is composite, the bottom half is aluminum. I think the gasket is for where the bottom connects to the head to help reduce heat but i am not sure.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:41 PM
that would make sense. I went out to look at my fit a minute ago, and the whole thing looked aluminum. so I guess I am wrong. an insulated gasket probably could do no harm.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
take your intake manifold cover off and you will see where the aluminum bottom connects to the plastic top.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
yeah the gasket would put lessen the heat tranfer between the metal
head and the metal intake manifold...a nice thickness but not too thick would prob help the FiT

depending on the maker of the "gasket/spacer" and the thickness...it can reduce the heat and also give some possible performance by the engine thinkin the runner maybe longer. i had one "plenum" spacer on my truck and it seemed to help with the heat...and one on my egr also..

Has anyone put one of these on their fit and notice any difference???

Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah these don't necessarily make power like adding headers or opening up the intake but by reducing the heat transfer they just allow the power that the motor is making currently to be made more effieciently. Which, in terms of engine performance usually means more freed up power to be found somewhere else within the motor.

Same concept as phenolic spacers for the throttle body.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
i'm going to pick up one of these and probably do a writeup on it. I know there are two companies making it right now, password:jdm and hondata. Personally, i think im going to get the hondata one.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
it looks like a complicated job through the hondata installation guide.. anyone fancy a write up on diy of this thing??

Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
i did this on my 06 civic si and it was not that bad. the hardest part is taking th im off. it took me about 2 hours to get it done. i can find a diy for you guys. it wont be for the fit but they are all virtually the same thing.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Very old thread but still need to know

Did anyone get this item installed and if so what type of gains ?
PASSWORD THERMAL GASKET: HONDA FIT 07-08-Options Auto Salon - Sport Compact Car Performance Parts
It sounds interesting and is cheep.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
Did anyone get this item installed and if so what type of gains ?
PASSWORD THERMAL GASKET: HONDA FIT 07-08-Options Auto Salon - Sport Compact Car Performance Parts
It sounds interesting and is cheep.
I never really found anything on this as well. Curious if it will help at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermal Shield Intake Gasket