Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

2 mufflers any disadvantages?

Old 03-17-2007, 06:12 PM
2 mufflers any disadvantages?

Hi! Am from the Philippines, was driving down the freeway yesterday evening and so a Jazz passby with 2 mufflers installed. Currently I've only got 1 in which is an HKS. Was wondering if this is possible did he use a 4-1-2? Will there be any power loss if I installed an additional into mine and from where did the "T" connection come out from.

I'm a big fan of your website, checking it out on a daily basis and finding new tips for my car. I use to drive a Nissan Patrol and now after owning a Jazz for just 3 months, I wish I had purchased one earlier.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
The term "4-2-1" refers to header design, it has nothing to do with the rest of the exhaust. A header either has a 4 runners, to 2, then to 1... or it skips the 2 and is a 4-1 header.

There is only one collector from the header so any 4 cylinder car should only have 1 exhaust system. When you see dual exhaust on 4-cylinder cars like the S2000 it's just because there is a split in the exhaust after the cat to seperate 2 different mufflers.

This is done for looks only. It isn't beneficial to performance in any way whatsoever. It just adds weight and unnessecary complication to the exhaust system, and it doesn't even look good.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Plim
The term "4-2-1" refers to header design, it has nothing to do with the rest of the exhaust. A header either has a 4 runners, to 2, then to 1... or it skips the 2 and is a 4-1 header.

There is only one collector from the header so any 4 cylinder car should only have 1 exhaust system. When you see dual exhaust on 4-cylinder cars like the S2000 it's just because there is a split in the exhaust after the cat to seperate 2 different mufflers.

This is done for looks only. It isn't beneficial to performance in any way whatsoever. It just adds weight and unnessecary complication to the exhaust system, and it doesn't even look good.
Thanks for the education Pilm, didn't realize those terms were different and only for the headers. I'm really in a knot with what I want to do with my Jazz. Its a 1.3 iDSI, I've already installed a turbo charger, HKS exhaust and K&N open intake. Don't know what to do else and I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment, so I'm debating between interior mods or exterior mods as quite happy with power-wise right now.

Any suggestions?!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by konradh
Thanks for the education Pilm, didn't realize those terms were different and only for the headers. I'm really in a knot with what I want to do with my Jazz. Its a 1.3 iDSI, I've already installed a turbo charger, HKS exhaust and K&N open intake. Don't know what to do else and I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment, so I'm debating between interior mods or exterior mods as quite happy with power-wise right now.

Any suggestions?!
Well I'm not familiar with the iDSI but I wouldn't even really heavily mod a fit engine wise regardless of the motor. It's nice to keep it fuel efficient and reliable... that's what these cars are for.

I guess the best thing to do would be suspension and wheels if you wanna play with it some more.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by konradh

Any suggestions?!
Also, the Jazz that you saw would not have had two mufflers. Two tail pipes from one muffler is offered by at least one exhaust manufacturer, but I forgot which one.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Thumbs up

i have two tailpipes and like the look and sound....no mufflers

Old 04-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
Also, the Jazz that you saw would not have had two mufflers. Two tail pipes from one muffler is offered by at least one exhaust manufacturer, but I forgot which one.
No really came up close to the Jazz and saw 1 muffler coming out of the left side and the other of the right side. One tailpipe each. Looked underneath anyway it's too cramped up on the driver's side, there'll be too many bends. Am saving up for suspension and wheels right now just as Plim's advise.