Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Generic non-branded headers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Generic non-branded headers...

eBay Motors: Stainless Steel Header Honda Fit/ Fit Sport 06 07 2006 (item 330194517977 end time Dec-03-07 19:45:08 PST)

I know I'm going to get some slack for posting about this and asking, but has ANYONE out there taken the risk and bought and installed anything like this? I know the whole concept of getting what you pay for, but like anything else in the market, it can be easy for companies to obtain patents and designs and market parts that are similar to equal to big brand name ones and half the cost. After all, nowadays we often are paying a premium simply for the name.
Anyway, the price seems right, and from the images, they look similar to the megan headers. Which brings up two points: Megan is a quality brand, so if they mimicked their design, well it's got to be decent. Second, megan also had some problems with their earlier design - I'd be concerned if this is simply non-branded factory second stuff from Megan, in an attempt to still make some kind of return on their early mistake.
I've also seen some generic ceramic headers for even less. Search ebay to see the references I've made.
Any constructive input would be much appreciated (please don't just simply tell me I'm dumb for even considering generic parts, I know I'm taking a risk asking this, I just want to know if someone has been brave enough to see if they can save some cash and trying this out)
Anyway, thanks in advance.

Also, on a related note - anyone know if skunk2 has headers in their lineup? I am getting the 50mm catback from them, and headers are next on my list. Since it seems that 50mm will suffice for the Jackson racing 5lb S/C kit I need to free up the headers now, and honestly with the S/C investment, if I could save a few clams on headers, I'm all for it.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
i don't think that's a generic brand, it looks exactly the same as the megan racing headers.

LMAOOO this is the biggest crap ever:

Increase 10-16 Horse Power and Torque

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
yeah I ignored their HP claims.
But anything could be better then oem, right? If it's the megan header, it probably is just one that never made it out of the factory so it doesn't have any branding or warranty...
What do people think - is it worth it to give it a shot?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
what's the price and do they have somekind of warranty/ satisfaction gauranteed? (probably not). if its not too much for you, i'd do it, and for the risk, i'd push a +1 rep power.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
I think I might give it a shot. It might open up a world of opportunity to other people out there who have considered this but were hesitant. Lets face it - if we can save some money we can put it towards another aspect of the car. I'll give this thread a couple days though to see what comes of it. Maybe someone has already done this and will shed some light. I search the forums with the terms generic, ebay, and header and nothing directly related popped up unfortunately.
Everyone could use some rep points haha!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
email the seller for intsalled pics, usually there is a test dummy who has had there car mocked up for the product. that is if they made it, but if they are reselling others crap than they might not have a pic. no harm in asking.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
yeah I ignored their HP claims.
But anything could be better then oem, right? I

be careful, i wouldn't be too sure about that. lots of testing goes into the oem parts no?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Alright so there's a similar thread going about the ceramic POS headers also seen on ebay. I posted there asking about the stainless ones.
I contacted the seller, haven't heard anything yet, but I reviewed their feedback - 2 things - they have sold a variety of generic header applications - preludes, tegs, accords, and even parts for 240sx, some other nissans, and 2jz supras. I think there was also some turbo manifolds for wrx's and evo's. All recieved 100% positive feedback, and overall the seller has a perfect track record. Also, they have a variety of Megan branded items for sale, so I wouldn't be surprised if this simply is a megan designed header without any sort of branding. I'm waiting for some more specifics from the seller, and I just might give these a shot. Only question is are they the old style with leaky problems or the newer improved ones...

Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Well I emailed the seller asking about whether these were related to megan racing or not, and what sort of quality guarantee they have, and if they had any sort of pictures of it mocked up on a test car. this is what I got. It wasn't very helpful and pretty vague:
Hi,

This is a no brand name header and we do not have the pictures with item installed, thank you.

Regards,
ebstores

Edit: Needless to say I plan on waiting, saving up, and getting some T1R headers. :-)

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
with that reply i would say that it might not even fit. how can you sell a product without at least trying it on a dummy car for at least fitment concerns. any responsible ebay knock off seller will have pics of their crap installed. this is a big 10 on the waste of money scale.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Come on guys! 10-16hp

Man, my T1R Header, 50S exhuast & Fujita CAI don't even make 10hp all together!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah I would stray away from sketchy offerings like this when it is something as important as your headers. Who knows how good the actual welding job is on those headers? Hell, there will probably be a leak somewhere. They just stole Megan's design and copied it and got a manufacturer probably from China to reproduce it. I highly recommend that you stay away from parts like this for major components. Air fresheners, interior trim pieces, sure, but engine parts? I wouldn't do it...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
lol, megan IS a knock off company. they started on ebay!

i will PUT MONEY on it that this header is made in the SAME place as all the SSAC and OBX and Megan stuff. I know that megan, obx, and SSAC are from the same place...the owner of SSAC's brother is my best friends neighbor...and he's there ALL the time and we've talked about where he gets his stuff.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
lol, megan IS a knock off company. they started on ebay!

i will PUT MONEY on it that this header is made in the SAME place as all the SSAC and OBX and Megan stuff. I know that megan, obx, and SSAC are from the same place...the owner of SSAC's brother is my best friends neighbor...and he's there ALL the time and we've talked about where he gets his stuff.
Okay, so what does that say for quality? If they are megan headers made in the same place as the megan headers just no fancy emblem/badge put on to them, wouldn't they theoretically fit the same and perform the same as Megan?

And yes, I definitely am bringing this one back to life, ha.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Generic parts = Fail

Old 11-04-2008, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
How generic are they if they may be made in the same place as megan's headers and use the same design?

It's not uncommon to find identical parts (automotive or otherwise) that share the same design but no big name badge (or no badge at all) and thus no big price tag.

I can get them for $60 bucks. So I may have to bring it a shop and have them touch up the welds - Maybe. Still seems worth it if they flow better/efficient.

I see where people justify buying more big name parts (I have the skunk2 50mm cat back) but does that automatically mean smaller companies or generic companies (I have a no-name intake setup from ebay that works just fine) are terrible?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
i love my megan header...nothing great but no probs with it at all...megan is a great brand of car parts. no one ever said that EVERYTHING cheap is made cheap, ive never had probs with any megan parts for my 240

Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
hmmm...thats WAY too iffy if you ask me. i'm not necessarily a "brand name" person...but i DO believe you get what you pay for. Megan, Weapon R, and DC sports make great affordable headers...occasionally there are fitment issues with the Weapon R and Megan...but i DO believe those issues have been taken care of...personally, im gonna go with the T1R header eventually...i've never read anything negative about it, if you have the money and price isn't a big issue...a sure thing would be Mugen or T1R.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
never buy generic peformance parts. they are only looking for profit not quality products. You never know what your buying!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
How generic are they if they may be made in the same place as megan's headers and use the same design?

It's not uncommon to find identical parts (automotive or otherwise) that share the same design but no big name badge (or no badge at all) and thus no big price tag.

I can get them for $60 bucks. So I may have to bring it a shop and have them touch up the welds - Maybe. Still seems worth it if they flow better/efficient.

I see where people justify buying more big name parts (I have the skunk2 50mm cat back) but does that automatically mean smaller companies or generic companies (I have a no-name intake setup from ebay that works just fine) are terrible?

yeah but resale value is nothing on cheap parts because no one else will trust the quality of it

Quick Reply: Generic non-branded headers...