Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Does titanium "rust"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Does titanium "rust"?

Title pretty says it all, though maybe rust is not the best word to use for titanium -- how about corrode instead? Just wondering b/c I was detailing my ride yesterday and it was the first chance I've really had to go over it in detail since winter. We have salt here 'cause of snow and I noticed what looks like rust spots on the tip of my J's axleback -- not everywhere, but in areas here and there. Cannister and piping seem OK, just the tip. So, does anyone know for certain if titanium will corrode with road salt or in general? Anyone with a J's in salty areas notice any corrosion on theirs? It's nothing that a bit of 0000 steel wool won't clear up, but just curious. Sucks if it does as I thought ti was corrosion-proof like stainless.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
even thoughh titanium has excellent resist to corrosion, it can still rust but not easy to.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Banned
Yep like he said ^^^^^ it's highly rust RESISTANT not rust proof. And it will corrode with a whitish film. But the question is does yours have a coating of something else or is it polished titanium only?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned
It is possible that only parts of your exhaust are made of Ti. Submarine hulls are Ti, and don't rust in the ocean. Artificial hip joints, pins used in bone fracture repair, implantable defibrillators, are all made of Titanium. So in the most acidic and/or corrosive atmospheres, no "rust" (oxidation).

Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. After doing a bit of research after my post, from what I've found almost everything points to that ti generally doesn't corrode except under certain severe conditions (hi-temp) and is particularly resistant to salts among other things (per Manxman's example). The "corrosion" on mine is not white like ti-oxide, but dark and, well, rusty looking. J's website says the exhaust is 100% titanium, so either the "corrosion" is possibly road grime baked on and hardened, and not oxidation, or the muffler I have is . . . . hmmm. Best thing is to steel wool it and see if there's any pitting at the corrosion spots, if so, that's not a good sign. More on this as I look into it.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned
Suggestion-
Put a magnet on the "rusty" areas. If the magnet sticks, it's not Ti. Titanium is an alloy of Ruthenium, Aluminum, and Vanadium. All non-magnetic. Your "rust" is probably baked-on road debris (oil, road tar, etc.).

Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
it wud b interesting to know if the things we buy r actually genuine or fakes and we have no idea what so ever...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I build black hawks....they use a little bit of titanium. Never seen it rust

Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
steel wool can take forever. use your rotary tool or drill with a metal
brush tip to remove rust. goes MUCH faster.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Banned
We had special figure 8 repelling attachments made up for the State Police Tactical Unit out of titanium at electric boat (freebe). And unfortunately I had a trunk leak and the figure 8 was in a B-4 bag at the bottom of the trunk and got wet and it sure will rust and get a film of white corrosion and this was pure 100% government spec titanium from the left overs after building a fast attack sub.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Suggestion-
Put a magnet on the "rusty" areas. If the magnet sticks, it's not Ti. Titanium is an alloy of Ruthenium, Aluminum, and Vanadium. All non-magnetic. Your "rust" is probably baked-on road debris (oil, road tar, etc.).
Good suggestion, and don't know why I didn't think to try it. With that, good news -- magnet didn't stick, so it's legit ti and I agree that at this point it's probably baked road muck. I'll work it over this weekend and see how it comes out, probably pretty good I'd imagine. One thing though, ti is an element, not an alloy though there are numerous alloys made with it for various purposes. Titanium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, here's some pics of the spotting just for illustration:

Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned
To correct your "correction", pure Ti is never used by itself in manufacturing- always as an alloy, always with varying amounts of aluminum and vanadium. Your exhaust is an alloy. BTW, try a Scotch-Brite pad on the muck.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
steel wool can take forever. use your rotary tool or drill with a metal
brush tip to remove rust. goes MUCH faster.
Good tip if you don't have a finish to worry about, but I don't want to ruin the blue hue, so it's 0000, light oil, and muscle-power all the way. When I used to work on restoring antique rifles many years ago, it was the only way to remove the surface rust/grime w/o scratching the part or damaging the blueing, which is just microns think. I need the exercise anyway.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
I need the exercise anyway.
haha, let us no how u get on...

Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
could be accumulated pinrust that gathered from driving. The titanium isn't rusting but the specks of metal dust stuck to it are

Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Good suggestion, and don't know why I didn't think to try it. With that, good news -- magnet didn't stick, so it's legit ti and I agree that at this point it's probably baked road muck. I'll work it over this weekend and see how it comes out, probably pretty good I'd imagine. One thing though, ti is an element, not an alloy though there are numerous alloys made with it for various purposes. Titanium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, here's some pics of the spotting just for illustration:

Mine looks the same way...scotch-brite is your friend!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wave
Mine looks the same way...scotch-brite is your friend!
That's a bit comforting I suppose. Haven't had a chance to polish it yet -- crappy weather and too much booked for the weekend to find some freetime. Soon, soon. . .

Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
magic ERASER!!!

dude...those scrub brushes literally take anything away.
and i dont know where it all goes.

reminds me of that one movie...where you spray the stuff on shit. and the shit disappears heh