Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Burning smell on track: Coming from transmission/engine?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Burning smell on track: Coming from transmission/engine?

Hey guys,

yesterday I took my car again to the Nurburgring for some laps on the Grand Prix track. After four laps, I noticed a burning smell inside the car that was gone after cruising half a lap. Do you have any idea where this might come from?

I am aware that the CVT automatic transmission is not primarily built for racing purposes but do you think this is a reason for the smell? I used the manual mode to shift gears. Another interesting aspect could be that the exhaust is quite new. It has been on the car for the last four weeks.

Thanks for any tip or advice.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
After 4 weeks the exhaust shouldn't smell unless you've a leak.
It wouldn't hurt to get a tranny cooler if you going to the track often.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Could be the exhaust. That usually makes a burning plastic kind of smell. Could be the transmission fluid. Could be brake fluid.

Just out of curiosity, are you running upgraded brake pads? You could easily glaze over standard brake pads with track abuse.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
hmm is your clutch getting soft? it might be the clutch at time when i go mountain runs... my clutch tend to smell and get soft =P

Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Im|Inside|Fit
hmm is your clutch getting soft? it might be the clutch at time when i go mountain runs... my clutch tend to smell and get soft =P
He's got the CVT.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
The constant velocity is rubber band drive. If it smells like rubber the belt is over heating or maybe worse. You might want to see what the replacement cost on a belt is and find out how difficult it is to replace before committing yourself and car to the race track.....Racing is a game where you have to pay to play.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
Could be the exhaust. That usually makes a burning plastic kind of smell. Could be the transmission fluid. Could be brake fluid.

Just out of curiosity, are you running upgraded brake pads? You could easily glaze over standard brake pads with track abuse.
I am not sure. The exhaust had a bad smell for approx. 3 days or so, then it was all gone. I checked the transmission fluid after driving and it was almost on "max". I am running standard pads (I am not sure whether other pads are allowed here or not but I'll check that).

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The constant velocity is rubber band drive. If it smells like rubber the belt is over heating or maybe worse. You might want to see what the replacement cost on a belt is and find out how difficult it is to replace before committing yourself and car to the race track.....Racing is a game where you have to pay to play.
That sounds quite logic. The car ran approx. 60,000 km until today so that it could be replaced. I'll ask my dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for all your tips. Thumbs up!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've noticed that odd, burning plastic smell after driving harder than I normally do. No track time, just interstate. I had the O2 sensor replaced at 13,000 miles. Wonder if maybe the wiring wasn't too close to the exhaust manifold...

Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Lucky, I wish i could take my fit on that track! gl with that smell.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys for some reason I also get like a burning oil smell coming through the vents when I push it a bit on the e-way.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
My exhaust smells funny when I put nitro methane in the fuel tank.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
You probably have a bad Flux Capacitor.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by Necos07
You probably have a bad Flux Capacitor.

haha Flux capacitor! thats good!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
Nicola Tesla built a Flux Capacitor for Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion automobile of the 1930s but it was said to have been stolen by a General Motors executive that designed the Camaro, opened a car company in Ireland, married a beautiful model and got busted with a mess of nose candy..... Michael J. Fox was some how involved in all of his in some manner. That was what the guy in Houston that sells 116 octane fuel and nitro methane to time travelers told a friend of a friend.... Flux Capacitors are for sale on the net if you are interested.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
I woulda guessed clutch too, since that can smell pretty bad pretty quick, but ionno about the CVT.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
hey my fit CVT does too
burn smell inside after i rev it a little

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTornado
Hey guys,

yesterday I took my car again to the Nurburgring for some laps on the Grand Prix track. After four laps, I noticed a burning smell inside the car that was gone after cruising half a lap. Do you have any idea where this might come from?

I am aware that the CVT automatic transmission is not primarily built for racing purposes but do you think this is a reason for the smell? I used the manual mode to shift gears. Another interesting aspect could be that the exhaust is quite new. It has been on the car for the last four weeks.

Thanks for any tip or advice.
I track my car on the stock Honda/Nissin brake pads and shoes and I don't have a problem with them glazing over, so I think you can rule those out.

I suggest you take a long hard look at your CVT and its clutch packs. Those are the Achilles' heel of the CVT and the reason why breaking 120 WHP is not advisable on a CVT'ed GD or GE.

Furthermore, even with stock power levels, the CVT clutch packs reportedly aren't very tolerant of rough throttle applications.

Maybe you ought to swap out your CVT fluid as well. How often you keep the fluid fresh will make or break the CVT's quality of operation, as many GD-driving Filipinos have found out the hard way.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Got a follow-up question.

Does the burning smell come when you use the A/C blower? I get that sometimes (rarely these days), but it does go away by itself. I've never been able to trace it to any specific origin but the link to the A/C is consistent.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by Necos07
Hey guys for some reason I also get like a burning oil smell coming through the vents when I push it a bit on the e-way.
kind of "hair burned" smell

Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Got a follow-up question.

Does the burning smell come when you use the A/C blower? I get that sometimes (rarely these days), but it does go away by itself. I've never been able to trace it to any specific origin but the link to the A/C is consistent.

yup i think its coming from A/C vent
still curious wats the smelly sources

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burning smell on track: Coming from transmission/engine?