Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Pennzoil Platinum is Amazing!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Pennzoil Platinum is Amazing!!

Ok, I have tried 4 different versions of full Synthetic Oil in my Honda so far. I started with Royal Purple, then moved to Quaker State, then to Mobile 1 and most recently to Pennzoil.

Each time I get similar results... put the oil in, car runs great & it comes out usually only a bit darker than the color it goes in.

So anyway, a couple of months ago I spot Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic on sale for a good price. So I figure what the heck and pick it up, I noticed it had a little blurb that said "Removes 45% of engine sludge on the first change!" but didn't give it much thought.

This week my engine "wrench" reminder light came on letting me know it was time to change the oil, I picked up some more Pennzoil and did the change.

Man... I am telling you. The oil that came out was a dark black... at first I was concerned thinking something was really wrong. It went in a golden clear and I was expecting maybe a darker tint of that color to come out... but what happened is it literally cleaned out every last big of sludge (which I didn't even think was there!).

Seriously, this stuff... amazing. It actually cleans out the crap in your engine that the filter can't pick up... none of the other brands I have tried ever pull this much out.

Anyway, just thought I would share!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, I'm going to see if I can find any other reviews on this. Sounds like a great product so long as the oil itself is not becoming "sludgy".

Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I found the website on it

Pennzoil - Not just oil, Pennzoil

Apparently there is another product they launched, I have never seen it in stores yet though.

Pennzoil - Not just oil, Pennzoil

Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Pennzoil Platinum is extremely well reviewed on bobistheoilguy as well - one of the best inexpensive synthetic's available.

That said, I wouldn't ever use oil color as a reliable indicator of anything.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Pennzoil Platinum is extremely well reviewed on bobistheoilguy as well - one of the best inexpensive synthetic's available.

That said, I wouldn't ever use oil color as a reliable indicator of anything.
I agree, oil is supposed to be darker coming out, that means its doing its job, so color isn't the entire be all, end all but its a factor to a point. IMO the most important thing in the oil change is the filter and this is why I only run a Mobil 1 or K&N due to what's inside of it, namely, double the amount of filtering paper and the use of synthetic element too

To this date, I've got 6300 miles on the car and the oil is still golden, so either this thing runs perfect as far as lean tune or that factory Honda filter is one good filter too!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
the color of the oil does not necessarily tell you how well your engine was "cleaned." the color of oil changes as it's used due to its chemical properties too, not just from dirt particles and such. the only way to really analyze your oil is to get it analyzed in a lab. don't buy into everything motor oil companies put on their packaging labels.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
^^ I just noticed your user tag "supervillian" lol

I was just shocked at the difference coming out between the other oils and Pennzoil... really crazy. Mobile 1 especially almost comes out as clean as it goes in my engine! Royal Purple is a bit harder to figure out, but you can see it is still pretty clear even used once you get it into a plastic bottle.

I think I am going to be switching my truck to Pennzoil too next time around.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Try to get your hands on "Total". I'd like to know your thoughts.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
^^ Where can you buy it?