Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Hmmm..

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
In other updates:

Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Good info! Also reminded me to stop using cfm for lbs/min... I'm definetly going with a good ole electric exhaust cut out. I'll just use the programable 12v out on the fmic so it only opens on wot and positive boost levels. I have driven open downpipe and it is such and incredibly brutal yet beautiful experience. The noise would strike fear in... Anything.

Right now I'm still making up my mind on if I'll even try to pull the head or just buy a 10k used engine for $800 shipped. I'm leaning towards new engine and throw the old one on a stand to build as parts become available.
Check out the Apexi exhaust control valve.. It's cable operated, comes in very large diameters and cost a lot less then the electric cut outs.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Just some pics I wanted to share:

Now some of the ones I took of the Fit today:

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-31-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
A nice looking GD! But an fmic would make it look even better!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
A nice looking GD! But an fmic would make it look even better!

Soon enough! I am still trying to find a way to make this work:

I am waiting on a couple people to get back to me about a manifold with 38mm external wastegate, as well as an FIC and harness. Otherwise everything else is ready!

This 14B should make this thing fly!

500cfm @ 25psi = 35lbs/min, or enough air for ~350whp! (This map is for a single turbo of a 3.0L twin-turbo, so the lines represent 1.45L displacement)

I am hoping a couple gallons of 118oct toluene mixed with pump 93 will allow me to do this till I save up for another meth kit

And I just finished making the car "flush" yet hellafunctional:

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-31-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Some updates to share:

Gapped down to 0.030" in anticipation of some boost here soon!

This is about where things begin to get exciting:

The turbo I will be using while I modify the 14B for more flow

Nice big T3 tubular manifold!

The downpipe that will let me get up and running while I save up for a real one with a wastegate dump for the 14B:

Old 04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Some updates to share:

Gapped down to 0.030" in anticipation of some boost here soon!

This is about where things begin to get exciting:

The turbo I will be using while I modify the 14B for more flow

Nice big T3 tubular manifold!

The downpipe that will let me get up and running while I save up for a real one with a wastegate dump for the 14B:
Do you have plans to polish and gasket match the head, turbo, exhaust? I think it could be worth it in the long run. I should not have watch that show this weekend. It gave me all sorts of ideas with no money or time.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
DSM gets to play with all the cool toys

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Do you have plans to polish and gasket match the head, turbo, exhaust? I think it could be worth it in the long run. I should not have watch that show this weekend. It gave me all sorts of ideas with no money or time.
I do indeed! and I knife-edge all dividers as well! I am currently modifying the compressor and turbine housings on the 14B and still debating on whether or not to go from the 6cm2 turbine inlet to the 7cm2 inlet found on the 16G turbos from the Evo 3 for more top end!

Originally Posted by XJP5
DSM gets to play with all the cool toys
Sometimes some fun ones wind up here

A couple came in today actually.. My ETC for the Fit showed up:

Thinking about writing a review after I get a couple more days of playing with it. It's an interesting little device and so far I am enjoying it! Install and calibration took all of 3 minutes! Thanks twpanson!

The Laser got some toys today as well:

Big primary, equal length runner tubular manifold!

Should be a nice upgrade from my restrictive ported/polished/knife-edged stock style manifold.

Haven't installed this yet, I have other stuff to tweak before this goes on.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
and all I could do is watch and salivate...

Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I am pretty impressed with this ETC...

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM
So much tech stuff I want to share here, new things keep coming up and I keep losing track of my thoughts.

One thing non-tech related that threw me for a loop:

The mother of one of the kids I tutor for (8th grade math lol) asked me how I squeezed into a Smart Car tonight

In less depressing news another compound turbo gas 4 cylinder was born! Leclerc's 2G DSM... Check out the downpipe:
Name:  DSCN0681.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0087.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  84.0 KB

Using the bigger of the two turbos pictured below as well as an Evo 3 TD05H 16G:
Name:  DSCN0515.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  72.6 KB

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 04-06-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 AM
I have been thinking about trying to set up a g-sensor referenced boost/timing control system to aid with cornering. I already have a boost-by-gear setup, but this looks like it will be considerably more involved. Some sort of piggyback may be necessary..

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Now after a couple days using Panson's Race version ETC I am thoroughly impressed!

In town on SP7 it makes for smoother starts because it eliminates the dip or S-curve the stock throttle map calls for and on the highway it makes a big difference in overtaking and merging.

Being able to toggle between Eco1, Normal and SP7 at the push of a button has been pretty nice.

And even though Eco1 by its self is not going to increase mileage and a couple days is too early to tell, the sluggish response it creates has encouraged me to drive slower when using that setting.

Of the 9 Sport settings SP7 has been my favorite. It is far more aggressive than Normal and SP1-6, but not as touchy as SP8 or 9

SP8 or 9 on the street are a blast when already rolling or on the highway for 4th gear passing, but from a standstill even the lightest breeze on the gas pedal has the engine turning 4000rpm+

For a full bore start on some sticky tires at a track or strip this might be a good thing, but on the street without looking like a teenager it just makes a lot of noise and an excessive amount of clutch slip to keep from pulling through first and second gear.

On the highway or in town, bumping up to SP8 or 9 makes for a crazy change in passing acceleration, a lot like having a lightened flywheel.

To really take advantage of this I am using 93 E0 gas and 6 range IK22's. Combined with the sticky rubber and 10.x lb/each 15x7 wheels, the Fit has now become a nuisance for a surprising array of presumably faster cars.

Cannot wait to start playing with the tune via FIC and ultimately start boosting on some Toluene blends!

Boost and being able to manipulate the throttle and VTEC should make for some absurd torque figures across the board!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
That's all BS.... You need to recalibrate your butt dyno.... I have the old boxy ETC that only has 5 eco modes and 7 sp modes... Anything over sp 3 is difficult to modulate in traffic. Going from driving in the ec 5 mode on a regular basis and then trying to use sp7 makes it appear that I have never driven a manual transmission car before or I'm an idiot that thinks whoever is beside me at a stop light wants to race.... I told you it would rev like it would if you'd installed a light flywheel... I am thinking about one of the small Braille batteries or maybe the same by Deka.. Let me know what you think... I need more room under the hood.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Will upgrading my ETC to the new Race version get me any gains on the track or is 8 and 9 just too touchy? I was a little unhappy that 7 still has a noticable wind-up, but maybe anything more makes it undrivable?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have a difficult time trying to take off from a dead stop without breaking the front tires loose in SP7. Trying to lightly lift off and reapply the throttle very lightly results in more tire spin and bucking... With boost SP3 is about as high as I have been able to use in traffic and I also get out of the hole better in that setting.. 0 to 60 runs in SP7 are 2 seconds slower due to wheel spin... It wasn't so bad on 5PSI boost... I use the EC5 setting more than any other now that I have the high boost kit.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have a difficult time trying to take off from a dead stop without breaking the front tires loose in SP7. Trying to lightly lift off and reapply the throttle very lightly results in more tire spin and bucking... With boost SP3 is about as high as I have been able to use in traffic and I also get out of the hole better in that setting.. 0 to 60 runs in SP7 are 2 seconds slower due to wheel spin... It wasn't so bad on 5PSI boost... I use the EC5 setting more than any other now that I have the high boost kit.

That's gotta be a wild ride! And good to know as i'll probably be doing the same thing.

I figure this will be like a ghetto form of boost-by-gear because I can use the throttle plate to control spool/load in first and 2nd with Eco settings then hit the mode button and toggle up to SP mode.

Any time to work on your water/meth system lately?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tauwolf
Will upgrading my ETC to the new Race version get me any gains on the track or is 8 and 9 just too touchy? I was a little unhappy that 7 still has a noticable wind-up, but maybe anything more makes it undrivable?
Maybe, tough to say really, since I have only had this Race version.

Since I am N/A still I have been spending most of my time in SP7, because SP8-9 are too twitchy and sensitive for the street, especially from a stand still.

The throttle also closes faster then it would otherwise in SP mode and that might be useful on a tight track to throw the rear around, but that will entirely depend on your setup and driving style... the change in passing power at least in the low-mid range could be useful on the track, since you'll probably spend all your time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on a circuit.

Or it could make it less predictable, so that will be for you to decide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?