Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

even lighter batteries

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:27 PM
I would love to see a picture of that, did you have to add any diodes or circuitry?
thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 04:28 PM
that is the ultra capacitor with small battery arrangement

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
If anyone is interested in doing some other reading ill leave this here.
TeamSwift ? View topic - Racing battery

Devmail have you tried to revive your battery at all?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
I did try but it was toast. Once it goes down to 9 volts it's dead apparently. The charger wouldn't even try, said "battery voltage too low."

Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes using a Dumb charger and giving it a slow charge will get it going enough to balance charge it again.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Guys I have been testing a lightweight solution that is budget friendly and reliable.

look on ebay for an ultracapacitor assembly. Seller is landlec or similar. The device looks like 6 blue D cell batteries on a circuit board.

I combined this with a small sealed battery purchased from Batteries Plus. The small 2-3 pound battery serves only to maintain voltage, as the capacitor has started my car even at 7 volts.

You MUST turn off your dome light and remove any scanner devices if you leave the car for over 24 hours.

It is cold here in Wisconsin and this setup has started my car great. However, I have two powerful 12inch subs wired up with nearly 2000watts of Kenwood amp glory, and I have determined you must quit the music 10 minutes before turning the car off.

The ultracapcitor is $90-95 shipped, the small battery was $20 or 25, and the project box and black rtv to seal the box was about $10. This is assuming you have 3-4 feet of 8 gauge laying around and some connectors.

If someone would like pictures of my setup, I will TRY to load them into my photobucket and post them. I am extremely busy at my buddy's shop, as I have no job and work to pay my bills when his workload is over his head. Always busy at a shop that does literally everything minus machine work lol
I would like pictures of your setup.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
**Update**

My sister successfully killed my little Evo battery last Tuesday. She was in my car with the music on, air on, charging her phone, etc, while the car was not running. Stayed like that for about an hour or so while I was tending to some things. Car would not start after that.

That little battery had 0 issues up to that point. Oh well!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Damn, just give her the bill for a new one lol. Yeah that's definitely the major drawback of these batteries but damn are they light!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
One more thing on this battery. I noticed that the stock battery (44B19L-S) is 340CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). If I had to do this again, I'd pick one of two of these Ballistic batteries -->

12 Cell EVO2 (12 Cell EVO2 L) $229.95
Weight = 2.44lbs.
360 amps

Or the 16 Cell EVO2
Weight = 3.5lbs
480 amps

At least these two would give you a piece of mind if you live in the colder climates. They should be able to match the stock CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at minimum with little to no penalty to weight. Just a thought!

I'm fairly excited. I just orded the 360 amp EVO2 moments ago. Can't wait until it arrives.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Very interested in these Evo2 batteries. Does anyone know what kind of life you can expect of them (barring any accidental deep discharges)?

Also, I'm wondering how necessary it is to keep the battery balanced. From what I've read about LI-ion batteries, they don't usually need to be balanced if your depth of discharge is minimal. For a daily driver, it seems like your typical depth of discharge would be pretty low since the battery charges every time you drive the car. Have any of you found that it doesn't really need to be balanced under normal DD conditions?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by C-Web
Very interested in these Evo2 batteries. Does anyone know what kind of life you can expect of them (barring any accidental deep discharges)?

Also, I'm wondering how necessary it is to keep the battery balanced. From what I've read about LI-ion batteries, they don't usually need to be balanced if your depth of discharge is minimal. For a daily driver, it seems like your typical depth of discharge would be pretty low since the battery charges every time you drive the car. Have any of you found that it doesn't really need to be balanced under normal DD conditions?
Mine only needed balance charging after a few months of use in sub zero temps. But this year I will use a regular battery in the winter. So no I don't think it's necessary in its normal operating temps.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail
Mine only needed balance charging after a few months of use in sub zero temps. But this year I will use a regular battery in the winter. So no I don't think it's necessary in its normal operating temps.
I think I'm going to do the same thing as well (Change the battery for the winter months). Now that my wife is driving the Fit, I don't want to take any chances.

I think I'm going to order up the 720 amp Evo battery for my RAV4 next. I think the RAV4's battery is around 44lbs stock compared to the 5lb Evo battery. Yeah....damn these things are light.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Just don't use a trickle charger/battery maintainer on a Odyssey, they don't like it, they like a hard fast slam charge to keep them happy. Best way is a heavy duty charger and a timer that turns the charger on about once every few weeks I've personally charged them and left them on the shelf for 2 years and they easily started a 14:1 454 V8..

The lithiums(Shorai, and thier ilk.) like to be control charged and when you start them in cold weather, turn on a load for about 3 to 5 minutes before you try and start the vehicle this pre-warms the battery so you get full starting current. This is a huge topic on the bike forums for big BMW and KTM machines that are hard on batteries..

Cheers

Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a nice tray for these tiny batteries! 8 Cell Tray | MUR Engineering

I was thinking of fab bing my own out of aluminum with a a skunk2 billet tie down. I'll have pics if that turns out ok.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail
Here is a nice tray for these tiny batteries! 8 Cell Tray | MUR Engineering

I was thinking of fab bing my own out of aluminum with a a skunk2 billet tie down. I'll have pics if that turns out ok.
Thanks for this link. I may have to pick up a couple of these. It's funny that the site describes exactly what I have been doing
Conceived out of necessity, MUR is proud to offer a battery tray for the Ballistic EVO2 8 cell battery. Current alternatives require you to use foam to compensate for the difference in battery size or even use zip ties to secure the battery to the chassis. These alternative options were not to our standards, so we sought to design a light weight, durable tray made from billet aluminum 6061-T6 that would accommodate for their size while providing a secure way of protecting your investment.
I am still using the foam that came with the battery and zip ties.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yup I've been using the foam and zip ties also, LOL

Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure you have something a bit more robust if you show up for track events, thats one I don't let by on tech..

Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Here is a nice tray for these batteries: 8 Cell Tray | MUR Engineering

Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
I used a tiny DEKA on both my 1500 cc Vulcan sidecar rig and Fit for a number of years.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Successfully killed my second 8 cell battery. Left the car outside a few nights, weather got fairly cold...must have been a small current draw, and Bangor.. another dead one. Looks like it might be discontinued as well? Blargh.