Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Slims Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slimchriz
Hey thanks for the info, so the kit isn't plug n play?
No, the piggy-back is not plug-n-play. I think about 4 taps and 3 intercepts, not a lot, just kinda tight area to solder. Also a bit nerve racking, finding the correct wires and positioning the harness, etc. Good place to take some extra time to triple check your work.

A while ago I noticed they have a new plug-n-play loom listed on their price list:
Sprintex - Superchargers and Supercharger Systems | Price List

Here is a link to the install manual (might as well start studying):
http://www.sprintex.com.au/wp-conten...s-Rev-1.00.pdf

Old 08-16-2014, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
No, the piggy-back is not plug-n-play. I think about 4 taps and 3 intercepts, not a lot, just kinda tight area to solder. Also a bit nerve racking, finding the correct wires and positioning the harness, etc. Good place to take some extra time to triple check your work.

A while ago I noticed they have a new plug-n-play loom listed on their price list:
Sprintex - Superchargers and Supercharger Systems | Price List

Here is a link to the install manual (might as well start studying):
http://www.sprintex.com.au/wp-conten...s-Rev-1.00.pdf

Awesome thanks, I was just reading up on the smt8l on their website and was blown away by the lack of connection compared to the FIC. Hoping this comes tomorrow I actually have the whole front of the car off and the headlights. Also the top wiper cowl wipers the black metal panal wipers and cowl mount on lol. So pretty much everything but the hood.

The wiper cowl and such is off for Koni struts to go in and the bumper ect is off so I can adjust my pojectors. I didnt tighten them enough when I installed them and they are slowly getting off center and rotating.

Funny thing is my wife just told me we have this big thing to goto tomorrow... nothing like advance notice hah.

But back to the SC and the smt8 Im thinking the fic will be a better option for what I want but smt8 has some night features I want too... hell may try and run both!

EDIT: Damn just looked at the install instructions you linked and Im already at step 9 hah. If this gets in tomorrow I could have it in before sun up on sunday. Harness is stupid easy to get to with headlights out and ECU bracket is just 2 bolts so will be a clear view and easy access , Even if it doesnt come in Ill solder some leads to the wires so it will be easy to drop in later.

Last edited by slimchriz; 08-16-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
SC install.

Just installed a Sprintex supercharger last weekend. It was surprisingly easy installation. Took just shy of 6 hours to install. I have had no issues, I have yet to get the limp mode. The one suggestion I would recommend is coming up with a container for the smt8 as I'm concerned about the potential for a moisture problem. I have yet to find a way to protect the piggy back but hope to have a solution that will work this weekend.
What additional mods will you currently have after the supercharger.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciocc
Just installed a Sprintex supercharger last weekend. It was surprisingly easy installation. Took just shy of 6 hours to install. I have had no issues, I have yet to get the limp mode. The one suggestion I would recommend is coming up with a container for the smt8 as I'm concerned about the potential for a moisture problem. I have yet to find a way to protect the piggy back but hope to have a solution that will work this weekend.
What additional mods will you currently have after the supercharger.
Funny you mention that, I just completed wiring it in and looking at the SMT8 I can see its encased in epoxy inside a plastic case. But I can see where the usb port is a little wider than the case and the plastic bulges slightly. The case has pulled away from the epoxy in this spot.
It looks like its fully encased in epoxy so this shouldnt be to big an issue unless there are voids.
The plugs are not weather-tight though so I agree with you, it should at least have weatherproof connections.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
I would suggest mounting it with the connector pointing down as to not collect water, and packing the connectors with dielectric grease.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Couple things I found that might speed things up for you:
1. Don't remove the fuel rail, just bend the tabs. They bend easily but be gently.
2. Don't remove the under tray when you put the belt on. You can snake the belt on from the top and access the tensioner from the top too.
3.Routing the new fuel line is a bit tricky. I ended it up bring over the SC's elbow just behind the throttle body to attach it to the fuel rail.

Last edited by jibberjabbs; 08-17-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
Couple things I found that might speed things up for you:
1. Don't remove the fuel rail, just bend the tabs. They bend easily but be gently.
2. Don't remove the under tray when you put the belt on. You can snake the belt on from the top and access the tensioner from the top too.
3.Routing the new fuel line is a bit tricky. I ended it up bring over the SC's elbow just behind the throttle body to attach it to the fuel rail.
Completed the install and cranked it over started right up, figured it would crank a bit without fuel in the rail or the line...
idles good, havnt taken it out yet have to wait till the kids are in bed to put the bumper on and test drive it.

This SMT8L unit does have the bad pins as well and likely why crx had issues with, specifically the pink pin was pushed right out the back of the connector It was probly a very intermittent connection at least.

Also the map sensors pins were already starting to corrode a bit even though there are water tight connectors... Needless to say I thoroughly greased all the connectors. Im pretty anal about electrical connectors and have a big tube of grease for the purpose as Ive had too many cars with gremlins that turned out to be corroded connectors.

If I keep the unit I will use the new pins and connector to route it inside the cabin.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
WOOOOOHOOOO!

Took it for a short shakedown run, no issues yet.
Met the rev limiter a fewtimes not used to getting there so quick

Damn this thing is loud with an intake and no wiper cowl pulled in the garage and my wife immeadiatly opened the door and asked why I installed police sirens in my car.
I just laughed, I cant explain it to her she just space out anytime I tell her anything about my car. I just said yah it makes that noise now.

Boost gauge read 10 PSI spike! I will need to richen up the fueling some I think.

Ok off to bed two days off being oncall at work will be hell especially with no sleep and the SCs whine in the back of my mind lol.

Have pictures but may be few days before I get them up.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
UPDATE,

Ok first full day being SC'd: noticed significant hesitation from 5500rpm to 6500 and the common holding high rpm full limp mode issue as noted by almost all.

Second day loaded Gary's 91oct stock map and added some more fuel up top in problem area. Vast improvement better response, more power and no hesitation at higher rpm. Havnt tested the holding high rpm issue again yet, maybe in a few minutes at lunch I'll try.

I went through the SMT8 wiring yesterday trying to map out what Chanel's are used and for what also to see what is still available.
I will post my findings later as it's on paper at home, but I'm not impressed with the way it is set up. Perhaps I don't fully grasp the logic, actually I can firmly state that it escapes me on some things. I'm hoping Gary can shed some light on the setup as I think to really tune it properly we need to first understand how it sees the signals and where it gets them from. i.e., TPS position is not taken from tps sensor but is output of another analog out from SMT8, assuming this is something to do with the drive by wire setup on our cars.

That being said it is running well at the moment logged some data (not that there is to much to log with this unit) and everything seem ok for now.

When I get my wideband afr gauge I will fine tune it some more so I don't have to run so rich out of ignorance.
Need to sell some stuff first as PayPal is maxed out and budget is blown to hell.

Anyone need a SS turbo mani? Or a turbo! Or want to trade a uego for either! ;-)

Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Get them pics up!

Damn hearing about these builds really want to make me drop the hammer on a SC or K. I've really been thinking about a K lately.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Get them pics up!

Damn hearing about these builds really want to make me drop the hammer on a SC or K. I've really been thinking about a K lately.
Thanks for the motivation Roller, been distracted with another issue. Blew out two tires other day on way home from work. There was a Thule roof rack in the road and it was dark... Two tires one spare... Goodtimes! Have some mismatched wheels now but replacement tires coming in today.

Will get pictures up ASAP, hoping tonight have lots of pics on that camera we need to download anyways.

Last edited by slimchriz; 08-27-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: DAMN AUTO CORRECT!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
slimchriz, How are those RDX injectors working out for you? Did you end up using the adaptors or changing the plugs? I am a bit concerned cramming the adaptors under the sprintex.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I am running rdx injectors and its a direct replacement for the stock injectors. the only thing that requires some work is installing Toyota sienna side marker clips.