Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

2015 Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
2015 Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Went about by-passing the throttle body coolant passage due to seeing high intake air temperatures that I believe is attributed to the hot coolant going through the throttle body. This isn't a how too or D.I.Y. post. Just showing you where the hoses are and what simple part you can use to get this done.

Here is a pic of the stock setup:

See those two hoses directly in the center of the pic? I believe both of those are coolant in and coolant out hoses. I simply disconnected them and used a brass fitting to connect them. I already had a plastic vacuum connector that was the correct size to do this (5/16" X 5/16" or 7.93mm X 7.93mm). I took it to a hardware store and matched the size I needed to a brass fitting. The fitting was $1.99.

I went about disconnecting those two hoses and connecting them together using this brass fitting.

Both hoses fit pretty snug but I still used the stock hose clamps on both of them. By-pass complete! Hopefully my air intake temperature is no more than +4F higher than ambient. It was reaching as high as 50-60F+ at times, pulling in air from the top of the hood. Unacceptable!

Not suggesting you do this at all, especially if you are in a colder climate. Just showing you that yes, it can be done and how easy it is to get it done.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
What was the end result?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
What was the end result?
Intake temperature still rises (According to the ECU). I'm still not sure where it is taking the measurement from. I can put my hand on the throttle body now without it being too hot to touch though.

Yes, it worked by cooling the the throttle body off. No, I have not been able to reduce the intake air temperature (Per the OB2). It doesn't even matter that I'm pulling air directly from the bumper. Something still isn't right. I have not seen intake air temperatures no where near what I saw though but it still rises, but slowly.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM
A barb fitting + clamp = crack in hose.

There is no way that for the short amount of time that the air goes through the TB that it will heat up enough to reduce power. You'll actually loose power once the throttle body start icing over.

Are you measuring intake temps while cruising? Your better of using aluminum heat barrier film on the airbox and ducting.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
A barb fitting + clamp = crack in hose.

There is no way that for the short amount of time that the air goes through the TB that it will heat up enough to reduce power. You'll actually loose power once the throttle body start icing over.

Are you measuring intake temps while cruising? Your better of using aluminum heat barrier film on the airbox and ducting.
I apologize for not answering your question sooner. Intake temperature would be 3-4F higher than the outside air temperature while cruising. Stop-n-go traffic, the temperature rose very slowly vs quickly before the modification.

I have returned it back to normal since I do not want any trouble if temps drop below 20F.

Also, you are right about the fitting. I did get a hole in one of the rubber pieces. I have since replaced it. No problems! Short answer is ....YES it works. I'm greedy though and want the intake to stay 3-4F even while in stop and go traffic. So be it!