Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler

I'm just wondering, has anyone been able to put a magnaflow glasspack on a honda fit? I know the muffler is all weird in the back with the gasses running in a U-shape, went to a shop to have them look at the car and see if it's possible, they said they weren't really sure

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exarchangel
I'm just wondering, has anyone been able to put a magnaflow glasspack on a honda fit? I know the muffler is all weird in the back with the gasses running in a U-shape, went to a shop to have them look at the car and see if it's possible, they said they weren't really sure
What are the stock muffler's specs? Inlet/exhaust diameter? Muffler length and the offset of the inlet/outlet pipes (Example: Center inlet, right-side outlet). That's all the info you need and you can purchase your own.

I always shoot for a straight through muffler. I'm considering changing out my stock 2015 LX muffler thinking it is exactly how you described it (All weird inside with gasses running in a U-shape). That can only hurt performance.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Could or should? That is the real question here, yes I'm sure with the correct inlet outlet configuration it is possible - now on to the should you part- absolutely not, those things are made for v8's and sound absolutely terrible on a 4 cylinder- you will screw up your back pressure which I don't care who tells you what, you need it, all 4 cylinders need it no back pressure means all your engine torque drops off and a possible CEL- If it was me and you really want to upgrade the exhaust I would look for a cat back system made for the car, if one exists, then look for you tube videos of the exhaust on the car and see if you are happy with the sound. I had a flowmaster 40 on a KIA sephia, no cat and 2 1/4 pipe and it ran like junk and sounded like junk- when I had my v6 mustang I checked out all the YouTube videos for different exhaust manufacturers and borla sounded the least ricey so that's what I went with

Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
The catalytic convertor(s) supply enough back pressure. A simple muffler change isn't going to make the back pressure disappear.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

There's the muffler specs, I was obviously thinking of the small one. As for it sounding like crap, I've heard it in real life on a 120HP civic, sounded GREAT! not like those fart cans you hear ripping it down the road from time to time.

In/OUt of the muffler would be 2.25", and 3.5" internal diameter. Changing the exhaust path from a near loop to a relatively straight shot at the end would, I THINK- increase performance just a little bit.

Of course, That's just my logic. I'm a musician, not a mechanic

Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by domoMKIV
The catalytic convertor(s) supply enough back pressure. A simple muffler change isn't going to make the back pressure disappear.
Just called the honda dealer to ask if changing anything would be an issue, they said it's all fine so long as I don't mess around with the catalytic convertor, seems you are correct sir!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM
what would happen if i put the glasspack in place of the resonator like this? sounds great on that small car, why not ours?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exarchangel
what would happen if i put the glasspack in place of the resonator like this? sounds great on that small car, why not ours?

Fiat 500 MagnaFlow Glasspack resonator sound - YouTube

Sounds like he's going WAY faster than he really is. I dunno!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Sounds like he's going WAY faster than he really is. I dunno!
I think he was just running out the gear, kinda lugging it, seemed like he stayed in 2nd most the time, the glasspack might work good as a resonator tho - as an aside do they make a tuner for the Fit?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
I saw a new V6 Charger running a setup like this the other day. I couldn't stop visibly laughing it was so loud but so slow. The guy saw me and I felt bad but it was ridiculous.

The Fit has two cats, so even straight pipe isn't as loud as a lot of cars.

Have you listened to the straight pipe sound clips for the Fit? There is quite a few of them. You'd be fine running a glasspack but i'd suggest keeping the piping size down to 2-2.5 inches unless you are going to run a resonator just so it doesn't sound as raspy and/or drone less at highway speeds.

"Backpressure" is a misnomer. It's exhaust scavenging that changes the powerband. Piping size and length determine these harmonics.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I saw a new V6 Charger running a setup like this the other day. I couldn't stop visibly laughing it was so loud but so slow. The guy saw me and I felt bad but it was ridiculous.

The Fit has two cats, so even straight pipe isn't as loud as a lot of cars.

Have you listened to the straight pipe sound clips for the Fit? There is quite a few of them. You'd be fine running a glasspack but i'd suggest keeping the piping size down to 2-2.5 inches unless you are going to run a resonator just so it doesn't sound as raspy and/or drone less at highway speeds.

"Backpressure" is a misnomer. It's exhaust scavenging that changes the powerband. Piping size and length determine these harmonics.

Wanderer, I tried looking through my Fit's exhaust but of course it is difficult while installed. I'm considering getting a straight through exhaust since I've never seen a stock one being straight through. The entry to the exhaust is offset while the exit is in the center. It almost looks like it could be straight through through (2015 LX CVT). Do previous year Fits have a straight through or not? Also, I considered disconnecting the muffler for testing but it doesn't have a flange piece to do this, like the previous year Fits.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
You mean the muffler itself?

The GE muffler is a bit strange, both inlet and outlet are on the back side... the outlet wraps around the muffler body and to the back of the car.

Most people say it's a space thing, but i'm not so sure. You could easily and cleanly fit a standard style muffler there like the GD has.

I have my suspicions it is an exhaust tuning thing, but maybe I read too much into it.

Since yours doesn't have a flange you'd have to cut and weld or do a whole catback? Either way you should be able to position the piping to run a straight through if you wanted.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Also, I considered disconnecting the muffler for testing but it doesn't have a flange piece to do this, like the previous year Fits.
So it's one solid piece to the manifold? Can you snap a pic?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
You mean the muffler itself?

The GE muffler is a bit strange, both inlet and outlet are on the back side... the outlet wraps around the muffler body and to the back of the car.

Most people say it's a space thing, but i'm not so sure. You could easily and cleanly fit a standard style muffler there like the GD has.

I have my suspicions it is an exhaust tuning thing, but maybe I read too much into it.

Since yours doesn't have a flange you'd have to cut and weld or do a whole catback? Either way you should be able to position the piping to run a straight through if you wanted.
Yes, I was asking about the muffler itself. The inlet to the 2015's is offset and the exit is in the center of the opposite side. Didn't realize some fits had this loop in it like in your pic. Yes, I'll have the inlet side piping cut and a new muffler installed. The only thing I'll be doing is changing the muffler to a straight through setup, with the biggest muffler I can fit in there (To keep sound at a minimum). The stock exhaust piping looks good in my opinion but I won't change it until I can see some documentation that it's worthwhile. I've always had positive results from changing out the muffler.

I just have a little doubt since I didn't get quite as good a result with the intake (Since Honda has done a fairly good job with the stock one). I'm not done here either.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
When i went to the muffler shop he told me i'd probably need a double offset on a muffler in the car....do you guys think that wouldn't be needed?