Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

HOW-TO: Bumper removal & License Plate Relocator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
HOW-TO: Bumper removal & License Plate Relocator

What's up ladies n gents, koolkevin1107 here with another writeup. I have been asked this question over a dozen times and have seen it posted all over the place. This is a How-to on removing your bumper and installing a license plate bracket. I have a Password:jdm one but this goes for all L shaped brackets. Here we go!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

First, locate the bumper clips in the engine bay. There are 4 of them. U stick a screwdriver in the notch and turn. The center will pop off, then just remove the clip.

Here is the next part. Most people get totally scared about unclipping the bottom portion of the bumper because they think there are soo many clips n screws when actually all u have to do is remove 4 clips and 2 screws from the bottom. I have identified which ones u need to remove, u don't need to take out any more because these are the ones u need. Take a look:

The first ones are the ones at the ends of the bumper by the wheels. These are the LONGEST clips. When u realize u take out the clips, u'll see there are 2 sizes, long n short. Most of em are short but these end ones are the only long ones. NOTE: The clips on the bottom of the bumper might be a little difficult to take out because debris gets in between it. When u do remove them, i recommend washing them to get the debris out so they are easy to install.

Here is under the bumper. When u look, u will find 2 phillips screws (with washers) located underneath the foglight areas and 2 clips going towards the center. Also, make note on which underpanel sit on each other because when u put the bumper back on, you have to overlap the splash guards. The ones attached to the bumper go OVER the big one located under the engine.

Next are the 2 screws at the ends of the bumpers where the bumper meets the fender. Again, only 2 screws (1 on each side). These do NOT have washers.

Here is the last "scary" part. The bumper is clipped on along the bottom of the bumper and fender. If you have never removed the bumper, the first time u try it's on there pretty tight. Just pull hard towards u and they will unclip. Don't worry, use a lil elbow grease.

Sport people! Continue with instructions. Base people, skip this step.

Remove the foglight housing. Take a 10mm or phillips screw and take out the screw. REach in and unclip the foglight. For the first couple times, this is VERY HARD so if u can't do it, grow some muscles .

Perfect! now the bumper should come right out.

Next, review the license plate relocator u have. I got the cool jdm tyte password:jdm one but u can use the cusco or any generic aftermarket ones u see on ebay, they all do the same thing.

That little metal piece goes inside the bumper to make it stronger.

Now mount the license plate to the bracket and dry test to see where you want to locate it. Couple reminders:

- Don't let the back part of the bracket touch the front face of the bumper. Leave it some space (1-2mm should be good) or else u'll have a scratch in your bumper

- If you are going to mount it on the drivers side, do not move the bracket so far over that the license plate blocks the "air channels" next 2 the foglights. Those holes are there to feed fresh air to the intake

- People w/ foglights, don't forget to leave some space so u can fit a screwdriver to remove the screw for the foglight.

Newayz, once u toy with where u want it mounted, take a sharpie and mark it underneath. Take a drill the same size as the bolts and punch 2 holes. They don't have to be perfect as long as it goes through because remember, nobody will see it once the bracket is mounted. This is a shot from the bottom of the bumper looking up:

This is the shot of the inside of the bumper:

USE LOCKTITE! I recommend going to pepboys or kragen n getting some BLUE non-permaent locktite. This is a fluid that when dries, it doesn't allow the bolts to come loose, but can be opened using regular tools.

Now re-install the bumper. If u see it's hard to go on the side that u installed the bracket, take off the bumper and look at the bumper support, sometimes the bolts are catching this foam piece. Just notch it where u see the indentations. I only had to notch the passenger side when i installed the bracket on my friends car, but mine didn't need notching on the drivers side.

Install is reverse of removal.

PERFECT! now u have a JDM tyte license plate relocator!

Hope i educated everybody. Remember, If you guys liked this thread, please give me some rep points. It's simple. On the first post, there is a little gray character in the top right corner of the post (next to the post number and "permalink") click him and click agree. thanks again guys! Oh btw look out for a LOT more writeups from me, especially a BIG one that everybody will want to see .

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 07-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Nice write up! What kinda intake is that?

+rep

Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. When i started doing writeups everybody would view and comment, but i feel like nobody looks at em anymore. What do i talk 2 much in them? lol.

Intake is a LastStation powerbox from japan. One of the very few pieces brought overseas.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
another good write up.keep em coming

Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Good piece. When you had the bumber off-where there any good points to attach nerf bars to. 90% of my driving is in DC and parallel parkers will take a toll on my bumpers. Was also thinking of incorporating tye down points in the bars for carrying my canoe.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Great job with this write up, it is very helpful especially the instructions on how to take the front bumper off. I was kind of scared to do it before. Now I will be able to install those type r badges with no worries (hopefully).

Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I wish i could relocate mine, the idiots at the dealership screwed in a license holder directly into my bumper so if i moved it there would be a hole where it was.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Hi great DIY, does anyone know where I can order a plate relocater from that will ship too Canada, Password JDM won't ship to canada, and I'd like to get something similar to this.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM
help?

When you put the bumper back on did it require two people to keep from marring the bumper? Were there any issues with the bumper lining up perfectly when you reassembled?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
no none at all. Since i have taken off my bumper like 100 times i know how 2 put it on w/o scratching anything, but if its ur first time, i recommend getting 2-3 guys 2 get everything lined up perfectly, one on each side and you in the middle. No i didn't have any problem with reassembly. If u did, something is getting caught somewhere (and it's most likely the plastic garnish underneath the car)

Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice write up! I was just wondering where people have installed plastic washers where the bumpers meet the fenders. I was just looking at that picture where your removing the screw where the bumper and the fender meet. I have read on this site that where the bumper and fender meet is too tight causing some of the paint to rub and flake off. Have you had this problem? Thanks.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Sweet man, thanks for the writeup. I can't wait to try this out.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the elaborate write-up: it puts me in confidence to install the 2 piece bumper grill that's been collecting dust in my basement for 3 months now!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice write up! I have the shop service manual... but nothing beats a good write up with pics! More power to ya, hmmm lessee what other write ups you got...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
sweet look easy enough time to order one :0

Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
this is not bashing your thread. i just wanted to give some heads up that i only paid 1.33 for my plate relocator kit. granite, its not "passwordjdm" but it does the job...and it looks sick just like koolkevins ride.

just go to home depot. buy 2 90degree bent brackets. and then just buy self tapping screw...and wala you got your self some relocation kit= $1.33

if you guys what to spend 25 bucks for one..thats up to you, they look the same to me. heh

plus you dont have to remove your bumper. its simple, easy, and money saving.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
this is not bashing your thread. i just wanted to give some heads up that i only paid 1.33 for my plate relocator kit. granite, its not "passwordjdm" but it does the job...and it looks sick just like koolkevins ride.

just go to home depot. buy 2 90degree bent brackets. and then just buy self tapping screw...and wala you got your self some relocation kit= $1.33

if you guys what to spend 25 bucks for one..thats up to you, they look the same to me. heh

plus you dont have to remove your bumper. its simple, easy, and money saving.
Ya that is a great way to do it also, cheap and effective. The only downside i don't like about that is the self tapping screws, they tend to come loose, especially when ur driving and the air is pushing up against the license plate. My friend did the self tapping screws and one day his license plate flew under his car and punctured his tire. IMO, the right angle bracket thing is very cheap n effective, but i would use a nut and bolt instead of self tapping screws.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Retired Moderator
Thanks man, i just ordered mine the other day and i was not aware that i had to remove the bumper. It doesnt seem to hard though.

Tyler

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
this is a great write up!
just a couple questions: 1. when you remove the foglights, that step is after you take the bumper of the car, right? 2. is installing the actually license plate bracket difficult? im not the most technical person out there but ive done simple things before, ive just never taken off the bumper.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
i shall do this during the summer
hahaha

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Bumper removal & License Plate Relocator