Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KWSC a/c hose clamp

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
KWSC a/c hose clamp

Just a heads up, the clamp that holds the A/C hose away from the alternator pulley just snapped for me a day or two ago. It snapped off and now my A/C hose has a hole where the pulley burned through it. If anybody with the KWSC notices lack of cold air with A/C on, I'd check to make sure that hose hasn't come loose. For now I'm keeping the A/C hose away from the alternator pulley with some wire. Is there anything problematic with driving w/ the A/C hose damaged & no refrigerant due to the leak, other than having no A/C available? I don't need to use A/C right not and no time to get it fixed unless it absolutely needs to be done.

Does anyone know how much getting that A/C hose replaced will cost? It's the one that goes vertically in front of the alternator pulley crimped on both ends.

Edit: I checked Bernardi Parts and looks like the hose is part of the whole assembly part# 80311-SAA-G02, part name "HOSE, SUCTION" for $85. I'm going to guess that I'll need to replace that whole set and then get the refrigerant refilled... what a pain!

Last edited by Koi; 03-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
I checked Bernardi Parts and looks like the hose is part of the whole assembly part# 80311-SAA-G02, part name "HOSE, SUCTION" for $85. I'm going to guess that I'll need to replace that whole set and then get the refrigerant refilled... what a pain!
that's exactly what you gotta get

Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
I had a hose go bad on a 79 Ford F-150 that was brand new.... The dealership was going to take awhile to get one and I found a shop in Dallas that specialized in hoses that repaired it for me for next to nothing..... Thanks for the heads up..... It is dark, wet and cold outside but I am off to the barn to check out the clamp on mine and make sure it isn't under undue pressure..... Good luck on finding a place to fix it, they may be able to add some length to the hose or something to insure that the same problem will not happen again.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I'll have to see if it's repairable first, and if not then just get the assembly including the hose replaced. I've sent KW an email regarding the clamp snapping; hopefully they or I will be able to find a more secure way to keep the hose from coming loose/snapping off again - a more durable clamp better able to withstand the tension of the hose would be great.

First thing to do will be bending the A/C line under the alternator and see if that lessens the tension of the hose.

Last edited by Koi; 03-20-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I've had 2 of these snap now. please post if you find a more durable clamp to use. I think with the motor movement from the soft motor mounts are to blame. A large diameter washer after the clamp and between the bolt might also give some strength to the clamp, as mine snaps at the hole drilled for the bolt.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
I tweaked the metal part of the lines on mine enough that I don't even need or have a clamp on the line... I forgot that I had even done that.. My mounts have completely gone south since the upgrade but there is no sign of rubbing anywhere,

Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I bent the metal part of the a/c hose further away and used multiple zip ties to hold it in place where the cushion clamp used to be... hasn't given me any trouble so far and I'm pretty sure multiple heavy duty zip ties will be more secure compared to a thin piece of metal that easily bends and snaps.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I tweaked the metal part of the lines on mine enough that I don't even need or have a clamp on the line... I forgot that I had even done that.. My mounts have completely gone south since the upgrade but there is no sign of rubbing anywhere,
This is what you are supposed to do. The aluminum tubing will move and you push it back so the stress is not all on the small clamp. The small clamp is there to keep it from vibrating around, not supporting a tensioned A/C hose.

-Oscar Jr.