Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Based on your previous work that you've shared here, I would call it an educated guess at worst. I am sure you realize the implications for all GE owners of succesfully pulling off this project. Everyone that has been blue balled when manufacturers/vendors start a thread and then flake.

My work and plans on the GD are only to make more power more efficiently and reliably. Most of the pioneering has been done there, aside from testing limits.

You have just opened up a whole world for some of these guys if this can be put to use and DIY tuned! From previous discussions you seem very well versed from the bits of theory we've thrown back and forth over time, I'm curious though, have you had the chance to tune your own car via laptop app like the FIC? Or will this be another leap of faith? So far you seem to be doing quite well with this approach
Never used anything like fic before but I've spent a couple hours every week reading reading reading. I have a clear picture of how to make a maf clamp map, map clamp map, map driven fuel map, o2 skew, injector correction, etc. but we shall see how theory meets practice.

On thursday Ill probably be spending half my day soldering the crap out of the stock harness to install the fic. Then Ill throw in the injectors and make the injector correction map. Then over the next week Ill make a bunch of logs and begin building my maf clamp map. Map clamp map is stupid easy, just find the max voltage value in the logs and set everything above 15 psi to that voltage. MAF on the other hand is a bit more complicated as you need to find the max MAF voltage for each rpm. I suppose I could just check valve off the stock MAP sensor since the fic has unboard MAP sensor

In fact, while Im saving up for the last remaining parts I could try and tune for WR header and extract another hp or two from it.

I think the key thing with the FIC is going to be the o2 skew. The o2 skew seems to be what gives you the power to keep the ecu from fighting your tunning with fuel trims. Its just a mater of finding the correct skew to correspond with the desired AFR which also seems to be a bit of trial and error. Just keep it low load and I can hopefully find it without breaking anything.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 12-14-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
If I told you that I made the ultimate leap of faith and bought an r18 turbo kit just to see if the r18 flange worked, would you think me mad? I'm probably going to just buy some cheap wrap at winners circle in downtown joliet once I'm happy with the positioning. Ambient temps are going to be so low for a while that I'm going to run it at 7psi with no intercooler just to get the base tune down. Once spring comes around or I start bleeding off the actuator, in goes the fmic and some heat wrap.
I have a 400cfm side mount intercooler that typically gets put in fenderwells and such if you would like it. It is the one on the right, and will flow more than enough for the T25 in that 5 bolt turbine housing!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the offer! The kit did come with a fmic though and my inner ricer couldn't live without a little rice in front. Not to mention the 'turkey gobble' greddy rs bov it came with. (which is hilarious to go on youtube and see the never ending bench racer comments about how 'that's compressor surge not the bov' in regards to the distinct sound the rs makes)

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the offer! The kit did come with a fmic though and my inner ricer couldn't live without a little rice in front. Not to mention the 'turkey gobble' greddy rs bov it came with. (which is hilarious to go on youtube and see the never ending bench racer comments about how 'that's compressor surge not the bov' in regards to the distinct sound the rs makes)
Not bad you got a core with the kit too? Bought used I am guessing.. The RS has a unique sound to it, I like my current Type-S more than the HKS SSQ or the 1G DSM valve. Nice sharp release with a flutter, it is recirculated though, Function>Form on this car

Youtube comments make me weep for humanity

Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
I've been thinking about if I will end up needing to recirc or not. Part of me thinks I will because of the loss of metered air, but then again it wont really be metered air because of the maf clamp. I will be map tuned for all the air above the stock maf threshold and the map sensor will respond instantly since it is inside the manifold and the pressure lost is outside the manifold. I guess only time will tell.

O wait, I'm a tardlet, I drive an AT. I make boost during the shift too I probably wont even blow off enough boost to hear anything or drop below the maf clamp... O well I always wanted to do an MT swap anyway.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 12-14-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
While looking for more info about our Fit's bearings, like their basic dimensions before, I call Clevite or ACL and pester them.. I stumbled across this interesting post on NABR :

Don't go there, they will ban 99.9% of the people reading this post. Seriously.

At one point it was invite only.. "Snobby" maybe, but they don't put up with any BS what so ever, which I kind of like to be honest. But to be privy to some information, and even to search or post requires going through a tedious obstacle course.

It's kind of a "You need or want us, do we need you?" type situation.
I checked it out they seem stuck up on the parts you can access. Your right on the tech that they dont fool around but they like to belittle people asking questions at least on the few I looked at. The info is intense though, so thats where you got the structure for your posts( thats good).

Last edited by SilverBullet; 12-14-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I've been thinking about if I will end up needing to recirc or not. Part of me thinks I will because of the loss of metered air, but then again it wont really be metered air because of the maf clamp. I will be map tuned for all the air above the stock maf threshold and the map sensor will respond instantly since it is inside the manifold and the pressure lost is outside the manifold. I guess only time will tell.

O wait, I'm a tardlet, I drive an AT. I make boost during the shift too I probably wont even blow off enough boost to hear anything or drop below the maf clamp... O well I always wanted to do an MT swap anyway.

Sorry meant to respond to this earlier and could've sworn I did.. kinda fried from Finals.. one more tomorrow and done for the semester!

Even with a MAF Hz clamp function, you still need to the sensor setup in a blow through instead of a draw through function and if you do blow-off to atmosphere you will need to do so pre-MAF to avoid metering issues.. Unless the MAP takes over at 100kPa or later.

Either way, you aren't going to be moving enough air to have a NEED to evacuate the whole charge pipe when the throttle shuts unless you are surging.

An MT swap wouldn't be too bad! But you can help us answer some more questions using an AT. On a GE at least it is unexplored territory from what I have come across!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I checked it out they seem stuck up on the parts you can access. Your right on the tech that they dont fool around but they like to belittle people asking questions at least on the few I looked at. The info is intense though, so thats where you got the structure for your posts( thats good).

It is a fantastic site for the wealth of info, but they are a picky crowd. I had an account, tempted to apply for another.

The problem is they routinely purge the site of people who don't post often, and most of us don't post often because they will ban you if you misspell anything or ask a seemingly dumb question. For this reason they don't even offer an edit feature to encourage to not be so dumb in the first place.

And if you don't get your post count up at a certain rate you cannot get the basic search feature. Then if you want access to the more discreet sections with real hard data and experience from the guys out setting records and creating new or innovative parts you have to get cleared by a moderator based on behaviour and who knows, what he had for breakfast?

Beyond that you actually have to pay to get to the Holy Grail(s) on the site.

IMHO, it is worth it but I have just never had the time or inclination. Everyone once in a while they will unluck a section temporarily for public consumption, or they will allow people to sign up. But usually registration is not an option, sometimes you need a referral or like Ferrari and Ruf Porsches they come seek you if you are worthy..

No smileys either, another bannable offense. Sounds ridiculous but I like what they have achieved through their nazi forum etiquette.

For instance, I am not even logged in and clicked the quote button to grab a tech post just now and the links default to this:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Not actually banned though, but it should tell you what you are in for if you decide to sign up. No cutesy made up logins allowed either. It is your first and last name or nothing, unless you are someone special, even then it's rare.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are so far ahead of me in this high tech stuff that I have had to start looking at 2 stroke bicycle motor conversions and 4 stroke mini bikes to feel like I can accomplish something performance wise.... It was fun watching the chubby kid, that helps me on my car sometimes, run down the road beside my wife on her mini bike I got her for her sixtieth birthday giving her instructions.... I am going to have to change the rear sprocket so it can get up the driveway.... Did you know there are nitrous kits for 66cc bike motors?... I might put on of those on the mini bike after the old lady is more comfortable with it.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Here is a brilliant example of what sort of abuse to expect haha They DO NOT like new guy threads..

Thought I would introduce myself. - Team NABR

2010-12-10, 06:01:04 #1 JohnDorian
FNG (fucking new guy)

Hello! I'm John. People call me John, or J, or John-Dorian (which is my full first name, and unfortunately the same as the main Scrubs character - believe me I've had my fair share of abuse).
I'm 21 years old, and stumbled across this forum one way or another quite a while back. I was interested in joining, mainly due to my appreciation of your rules about grammar and spelling, and also due to the seemingly friendly nature of the forum.
I have just finished a degree in the United Kingdom studying speech and language, and am currently working for a research team studying child language development.

I own 3 cars at the moment. I will give some details on them when asked (the reason for this is because I'm unsure whether this is the appropriate sub-forum to be posting about my cars in).

Anyway, thank you for letting me join, I hope I am welcomed, and I really appreciate your rules on spelling and grammar importance.

Thanks, John.
2010-12-10, 06:06:55 #3 IainThornton
FNG (fucking new guy)

Seriously, no one gives a shit. Read the rules, dickhead.
You will find the section regarding the disdain of 'welcome threads'.

Now shut the fuck up and let the good people of Team NABR live without your shit.
2010-12-10, 06:08:28 #4 JohnDorian
FNG (fucking new guy)

I thought this forum was really friendly?
I apologise for my mistake in posting, please forgive me, and don't touch any of my cavities if that's what you're planning.
2010-12-10, 06:11:16 #5 IainThornton
FNG (fucking new guy)

You'll find that everyone is an asshole at heart.
Welcome to the layer cake, son

Now give me useful information or get out of my fucking face

Man, I wish they had that 'asshole' smiley on other forums
2010-12-10, 06:26:57 #36 MikeRizz
NABR Veteran

If you read all the rules you would know we are not interested in these introductions! Thread closed!

Or this one:
http://www.teamnabr.com/vbb/showthre...t=32924&page=2

2010-12-10, 09:52:31 #52 Hal
NABR Brigadier General

Thread closed, Idiots banned.

I guess we should have let them deal with the Germans on their own.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-15-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
The FNG shit brings back memories of Vietnam.... Every time a TACParty radio operator went home on leave, was sick, wounded or on R&R I would be sent to that company until they returned.... I believe the term FNG originated in Vietnam and was a Marine Corps thing... Those guys on that forum also referred to someone as a Brigadier General and veteran.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
I think it's hilarious how "big" people can talk behind a keyboard.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
I went to a Marine Corp Forum that a friend of mine frequented and ran into a chronic "Lifer", that gave me a ration of shit. I set him straight about my credentials and never went back.....I don't have room in my delicate psyche for that kind of nonsense.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I went to a Marine Corp Forum that a friend of mine frequented and ran into a chronic "Lifer", that gave me a ration of shit. I set him straight about my credentials and never went back.....I don't have room in my delicate psyche for that kind of nonsense.
That sort of thing gets old pretty fast, some people just have to turn everything into a contest. Usually not worth one's time.

And cool background on the FNG, makes sense. When you graduate from FNG status you become "prepubescent" haha

Originally Posted by thefit09
I think it's hilarious how "big" people can talk behind a keyboard.
Agreed for the most part, but I do appreciate the no BS attitudes they carry.

Well internet tough guy stuff aside, most of them do walk the walk over there. My 650whp ambitions are on the very low end of the spectrum there, and about middle of the pack on the ECMTuning forums, so it is somewhat humbling.

There is quite a bit of elitism. Some deserved I guess.

After all:
Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM
These had me cracking up:

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
I found a few things you might like. http://www.stonis-world.net/docs/eng...ohol_fuels.pdf, http://www.aspenesco.com/PRV_inducti...l_overview.pdf,

Last edited by SilverBullet; 12-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
Ninja edit vocabulary malfunction. Used exducer instead of turbine.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Ninja edit vocabulary malfunction. Used exducer instead of turbine.

Meh the turbine has an exducer lol Close enough I guess since I am not sure which post you needed to tweak..

Anywho, I have been allowed access to a vault of information again after a long break and hope to be able to share some of it here as long as it doesn't step on any toes or get me a ban.

But heres something cool I found while researching a contributor there..

Mostly stock 2009 Corvette (Intake/Headers) with an EMCO Sequential gearbox! The sound of dog gears is chilling in person, and you can definitely hear the whine and each gear banging home:

YouTube - LG Motorsports Corvette Z06 EMCO Sequential Transmission 1/4 Mile

That is actually a circuit/road course transmission that Lou Gigliotti is playing with on a drag strip.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Meh the turbine has an exducer lol Close enough I guess since I am not sure which post you needed to tweak..

Anywho, I have been allowed access to a vault of information again after a long break and hope to be able to share some of it here as long as it doesn't step on any toes or get me a ban.

But heres something cool I found while researching a contributor there..

Mostly stock 2009 Corvette (Intake/Headers) with an EMCO Sequential gearbox! The sound of dog gears is chilling in person, and you can definitely hear the whine and each gear banging home:

YouTube - LG Motorsports Corvette Z06 EMCO Sequential Transmission 1/4 Mile

That is actually a circuit/road course transmission that Lou Gigliotti is playing with on a drag strip.

I love that sound of the air shift and just enough engine whine and gear slamming. Sounds almost like my Truck.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
DSM I show my 16 year old son this site and he wanted to add some thing

YouTube - Veyron Killer? GT-R Alpha 9 Does 0-60 in 2.6 Sec!
YouTube - AMS Alpha 9 GT-R goes 10.1 @138 on Pump Gas!

I guess I am teaching him well.

Quick Reply: L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?