General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
part of the problem with the older vw's is dat they were made in germany. my mexican GTI has been very reliable thus far. not one single problem.
With how quickly you go through daily drivers I don't foresee any issues

you folks have experience with VMR wheels? how is the quality and overall wear?
i like their 19" size wheels... was thinking about getting a set next season. they aren't the lightest though, but not super heavy either.

for example their 18x8.5 are like 20lbs.
stock GTI 18" wheels are 25lbs
my OZ 18" are 17lbs can definitely feel da power and braking advantage.
I've never had any personal experience with them, but they seem like one of those fly-by-night Chinese/Taiwanese wheel companies. No physical address listed on their website is a big turn-off for me.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah it is out of warranty and that is a big thing that scares me.

Seems like keeping the Fit is more and more becoming the better/smarter option. Passengers in the back will just have to suck it up on bumpy roads haha. Hell maybe my rear struts are shot? But they aren't leaking and rebound fine. Not that continuous bounce.

Which VMR wheels?

I'd personally stick to the lighter OZ just for that lower rotational mass.
I'm going through the same thing. I'm extremely torn between keeping the Fit and reaping the financial comfort or selling/trading it for a 2014+ Mazda 6 with a manual.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
shinjari- honestly my '12 GE was flawless when i sold it and it was an enjoyable car. if i had more garage space i wouldve kept it and probably just updated the HU again with a carplay unit to get nav and all.

as far as VMR, i am looking at the V803, V810, V701 in 19" in gunmetal color.
i suppose it really depends if i want to go more dressup or not. not that the oz wheels look bad, they are tuner wheel design and wanted a tad more upscale look.

mike- lol'ed at how quick i go through dd's. but i usually drive them for 4-5yrs before i sell so not that quick. im not sure how long im going to keep my GTI though...im kinda kicking myself for not getting the S3. but then if i bought the S3 5-6months back, id probably be kicking myself for not getting a Golf-R. lol i just like hatches in general.

yah, thanks for ur response on VMR. i too am not certain how long they're going to stick around and kind of worried about sourcing replacements down da road in case i hit a pot hole or something. maybe i should just keep within the OZ HLT series.. plus i can source them from tirerack easily which is a huge plus!!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
so this am i had a BUNCH of errands to run and since my wife was working from home today, decided to borrow her GK... to save fuel $.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
so i read that this aluminum engine/tranny mount bushing insert for my GTI is supposed to help with reducing wheel spin. not sure about dat, but people say they were able to rid wheel hop so i decided to give it a try. should have the piece in a couple of days... will install if not 0F over da weekend. lol

as for my car and GK... very dirty and salty. will stay this way for a while. i prefer not washing da car unless necessary. this is to prevent unnecessary scratches, swirls, and rust. yah, keep da car outside and frozen/dry if u want to prevent rust.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
pressured up the tires on the GK and my dd. will add air in the spare when it's light out maybe over da weekend. since my dd's are outside i like to adjust pressure before the sun's out as it throws off the psi on one side of da car due to heat from sun light.

anyway, im set till maybe mid-late JAN.

before u know it, winter will be over.. going to be a very short winter dis yr for sure.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
as for my car and GK... very dirty and salty. will stay this way for a while. i prefer not washing da car unless necessary. this is to prevent unnecessary scratches, swirls, and rust. yah, keep da car outside and frozen/dry if u want to prevent rust.
Go on.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
wat do u mean go on? Been doing dis for yrs on my dd's. Worst rusted dd was da one I kept washing frequently and garage kept. Bought new, car looked like it was 5yrs old after 1-2 winters. If u think about it dat is the worst condition for a car with salt on it. Wet with remaining salt (doesn't take much to rust), can't dry over night completely.

If u can wash ur car at home with no salt kick up from the return trip from da car wash place, have a heated garage with a couple of fans running over night, then yah dat would be great.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
wat do u mean go on? Been doing dis for yrs on my dd's. Worst rusted dd was da one I kept washing frequently and garage kept. Bought new, car looked like it was 5yrs old after 1-2 winters. If u think about it dat is the worst condition for a car with salt on it. Wet with remaining salt (doesn't take much to rust), can't dry over night completely.

If u can wash ur car at home with no salt kick up from the return trip from da car wash place, have a heated garage with a couple of fans running over night, then yah dat would be great.
It does make sense.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I installed that aluminum tranny mount insert thing on my GTI over the weekend and it does make the car feel more crisp and no more wheel hop!

On off throttle in 1st feels good and the 1-2 shift is very crisp now.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
How's the GTI been doing in snow/cold? My Fit has failed to start a few times already this winter & has always done so, on both batteries I've had in it.

Between that & my general dissatisfaction with the car, I'm going to be selling it & the GTI is a front runner for its replacement. Thoughts?

Old 12-15-2016, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
How's the GTI been doing in snow/cold? My Fit has failed to start a few times already this winter & has always done so, on both batteries I've had in it.

Between that & my general dissatisfaction with the car, I'm going to be selling it & the GTI is a front runner for its replacement. Thoughts?
No issue on the GTI. i think the current gen GTI is great if you dont mind the lower mpg vs Fit and paying premium gas. i mean it can run on regular but why get a turbo and not use the power, right?

the DSG is good for the commute but it really takes out the fun.. since u have the s2k it might be a good variation though. i dont mind the DSG for the commute, but i would mind it if it was my only car. id definitely get the GolfR in MT if that was da case (or actually just get the STI and forget VW all together).

Old 12-15-2016, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
No issue on the GTI. i think the current gen GTI is great if you dont mind the lower mpg vs Fit and paying premium gas. i mean it can run on regular but why get a turbo and not use the power, right?

the DSG is good for the commute but it really takes out the fun.. since u have the s2k it might be a good variation though. i dont mind the DSG for the commute, but i would mind it if it was my only car. id definitely get the GolfR in MT if that was da case (or actually just get the STI and forget VW all together).
I'd definitely do the standard 6MT, its cheaper too

Fuel economy & VW reliability are my two main concerns. I know I'm a very fuel efficient driver (averaging 30 MPG in an S2000 is pretty much unheard of) and the GTI is rated as more efficient than the Fit somehow, so I don't think it'll be too huge a hit. VW reliability is terrifying though.

Subaru fuel economy is way too bad for me.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
even with ur pro driving, i think it will be a struggle to get anywhere close to the Fit's mpg (especially vs GK CVT) with the GTI. i donno, maybe u can prove me wrong.

drove the GTI in moderate snow today with the DWS06. with its weight and electronics (stability control) it actually drove quite well. kinda impressed actually.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
oh yah, i got an email from cobb dat they now have the access port for the mk7 GTI's..

i already swapped da intake on mine and running piggyback so i think ill pass.. its fast enough.
you really need to use their intake (or factory) if u want to run their otc maps.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
holy crap..seeing 40's in the forecast dis weekend. like a xmas present from Santa.

definitely going to wash the dd's.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Happy holidays everyone!!

Hope santa brings u wat u want tomorrow.

For me I already got and opened my presents from me. Haha no car things this yr, since I already spent a good chunk of change buying 2 new cars this yr .. got stuff for my other cave aka music room. nord piano3 and a MacBook Pro.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Happy holidays everyone!!

Hope santa brings u wat u want tomorrow.

For me I already got and opened my presents from me. Haha no car things this yr, since I already spent a good chunk of change buying 2 new cars this yr .. got stuff for my other cave aka music room. nord piano3 and a MacBook Pro.
Happy Holidays to you as well!

The new MacBook Pro with the touch bar above the keyboard? Hope you like it!

I treated myself to a pair of limited release Jordans, have never spent more than $60 on shoes....did so this time

Old 12-23-2016, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Happy Holidays to you as well!

The new MacBook Pro with the touch bar above the keyboard? Hope you like it!

I treated myself to a pair of limited release Jordans, have never spent more than $60 on shoes....did so this time
thanks!! . nice on da Jordans!

I read some horrible reviews on the 2016 MBP's i so decided to go with the more matured 2015 one. I'm a fingertip oriented guy and so I can't have the function keys moving around or changing per program. defeats the purpose. I also heard the new ones are buggy.

one other turn off on the 2016 MBP was I didn't want to use dongles for connectivity. and I'm going to be running the transcend memory expansion in the SD slot 24/7 so needed the SD slot too. I'm real happy with the unit so far. . from the way the power's draining I can get 18hrs run time per day with time to spare since I'm using it mostly for surfing and some picture viewing, etc.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
thanks!! . nice on da Jordans!

I read some horrible reviews on the 2016 MBP's i so decided to go with the more matured 2015 one. I'm a fingertip oriented guy and so I can't have the function keys moving around or changing per program. defeats the purpose. I also heard the new ones are buggy.

one other turn off on the 2016 MBP was I didn't want to use dongles for connectivity. and I'm going to be running the transcend memory expansion in the SD slot 24/7 so needed the SD slot too. I'm real happy with the unit so far. . from the way the power's draining I can get 18hrs run time per day with time to spare since I'm using it mostly for surfing and some picture viewing, etc.
Nice to see some thought into getting what fits your needs rather than going for the newest/shiniest thing, hope it continues to work out for you

Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
thanks, yah. I'm glad I read and watched the reviews before I went shopping. my initial thought process was that ALL MBP's were reliable from past experience, but the 2016's do not seem to be the case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?