Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Post Mid-Life Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Post Mid-Life Crisis

Hi. A Nissan Versa Note sent me here. I already had my mid-life crisis years ago and I can't even remember how I dealt with it (my wife probably remembers though). But these days I now get Senior Discounts at most places - except at car dealerships.

One a recent vacation I rented a Nissan Versa Note and enjoyed most of the driving experience. When I got home, I researched the Note and got on a bunny trail that led to Honda Fits.

I'm joining FitFreak to learn more about what owners really think about their Fits. I am in the market for a new car so it may as well be a Honda Fit that will placate my post mid-life crisis.

It's nice to meet you all.

Last edited by Peterjens; 04-16-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Note vs Fit

I'm on my second Fit Sport. The first (2007 GD) had its life tragically ended by a hit & run driver! Another Fit was the only car I considered as a replacement. I endured another LONG wait for a 5 speed manual car. As I approach the third anniversary (2012 GE), I STILL love it (but never as much as the first one, LOL!) Out of curiosity, I checked out the Note, and found it to be lacking; as a more "seasoned" driver, there are certain expectations in quality/options/etc. that after years of driving one comes to expect. The Fit met them, the Note did not. The 2015 GK models are again a sea change; more space, better options, SUNROOF & leather (EX-L) availabilty! Obviously, I'm somewhat biased, but I would choose the Fit over the Note, but do your reasearch, arrange to DRIVE both of them, and then it domes down to : "Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice!" Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Plus backup cameras for those aging eyes...lol. I kid, but I'm a newbie as well, and have to say, I'm really happy with my choice of a Honda Fit.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I have been in many a Note, wouldn't ever buy one if the Fit was an option.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Test drive both as close to back to back as you can. It wasn't even a contest when I was shopping. Everything about the Fit was better to me than the Note.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Peterjens
Hi. A Nissan Versa Note sent me here. I already had my mid-life crisis years ago and I can't even remember how I dealt with it (my wife probably remembers though). But these days I now get Senior Discounts at most places - except at car dealerships.

One a recent vacation I rented a Nissan Versa Note and enjoyed most of the driving experience. When I got home, I researched the Note and got on a bunny trail that led to Honda Fits.

I'm joining FitFreak to learn more about what owners really think about their Fits. I am in the market for a new car so it may as well be a Honda Fit that will placate my post mid-life crisis.

It's nice to meet you all.
If you really enjoy driving small cars, i suggest you get the MT sport. It is actually pretty fun to drive this car. I currently run a '12 MT sport as my winter beater/grocery getter.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
I suggest you get the MT sport. It is actually pretty fun to drive this car.
After reading the Mt vs CVT thread(s) here and other web sources, I am set on the CVT. Can't wait for my 15 year old Altima to need repair or Honda to offer some incentive to buy.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't consider a 2015 Fit if I were car shopping today.

Untested (and generally horrible) CVT, that made in Mexico build quality (), the total lack of passenger space and horrible driving manners make it a non-option.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

Untested (and generally horrible) CVT, that made in Mexico build quality (), the total lack of passenger space and horrible driving manners make it a non-option.
Please explain your claims. So far I have some issues (on a CN made fit) but none that would warrant claims like yours. I personally despise auto but this CVT is great!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'd be willing to buy a used low-mileage Fit. What year do you suggest for a short list?

Peterjens
an ex-Cheesehead (Oregon, WI)

Old 05-31-2015, 03:36 PM
There are two threads that potential buyers should read through before making a purchase. The first one is something like "I've had zero problems with my 2015+ Fit" and the other is something like "What you don't like about your 2015+ Fit".

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'd be willing to buy a used low-mileage Fit. What year do you suggest for a short list?

Peterjens
an ex-Cheesehead (Oregon, WI)
Guy I share an office with spent a few years in Oregon, WI! And I know of Oregon, I grew up nearby-ish.

I prefer the 12/13 Fits to the 15+, although the automatic in those years is a bit awful

Unfortunately Honda went from bad to worst in terms of non-manual options (in my opinion).

Old 05-31-2015, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CN_Fit
Please explain your claims. So far I have some issues (on a CN made fit) but none that would warrant claims like yours. I personally despise auto but this CVT is great!
The CVT is new for the Fit, thus untested.

I deem it awful in terms of driving feel, that constant slipping feeling is terrible..and I just hate the sounds affiliated with the CVT.

Made in Mexico 'quality' is something to be examined throughout the years to come, I don't trust build quality remaining high once assembly is moved to Mexico.

Lack of passenger space, my 6' self can not fit comfortably in a single seat in the car, I hit my head on the headliner in the rear and the front seats do not go far back enough.

Horrible driving manners = Hugely overboosted steering/brakes. The GE was/is bad enough, the GK is just ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 AM
Recommend the 2012 or 2013, as it had most of the minor upgrades for the previous gen (such as more sound proofing, minor face lift, and other small things), and also drives incredibly well. Plus like others have mentioned the build quality. However, you will see less MPG unfortunately, and no backup camera in case you want such a thing, but otherwise its a great buy!

Old 06-02-2015, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
OP here. Thanks for the 12/13 and thread recommendation. I will adjust my sights to include those years. Now to find someone who babied their low mileage Fit and wants to sell it for a 2015 version.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I prefer the 12/13 Fits to the 15+
OP here. Since you posted this I have been looking at 12/13 but one big concern is the difference in the miles/gallon rating. If I keep my next car as long as I usually do (15 years), the difference adds up. Thoughts?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've had mine for a year, and have fitted roof racks to the top and a large cargo basket. I'm able to fit a good amount of gear in and on the car, but my MPG suffers dramatically from the basket ontop. I get about 18mpg fully loaded and gear strapped down. Making the move to a truck in the near future.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
My mechanic has mentioned I should take off my Yakima bike rack when I'm not portaging bikes. He said it could save 5 mpg. Easier said than done.

My concern is the 2015's have better estimated mpg than the 12/13's but the 2015's are made in Mexico.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
My mechanic has mentioned I should take off my Yakima bike rack when I'm not portaging bikes. He said it could save 5 mpg. Easier said than done.

My concern is the 2015's have better estimated mpg than the 12/13's but the 2015's are made in Mexico.
I don't really see any reason why you wouldn't go for gd5. It's a great little car, just figure out the seating position.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Just got back from my first test drive in a used 2015 Fit EX - CVT. I thought nothing of the cabin noise - seemed quiet to me as I drove on roads of various degrees of texture and speeds. The shifting was much better than the Versa Note I rented while on vacation. I was happy about that since I have only owned manuals. No weird smells from the AC or heater. Those were my main concerns. I am having Honda perform a pre-purchase service The owner works for American Honda in Portland and it was used a corporate runner for parts and picking up Honda execs at hotels. They sold the car to 2nd owner at 10K (at a employee discount) and he has put 4.5k on. They are now expecting a second child and now is looking to buy an Odyssey. He's asking $15,800 for it. KKB $16575 (excellent) and $16237 (very good). What do you all think?

Last edited by Peterjens; 06-13-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: ETA KKB prices

Quick Reply: Post Mid-Life Crisis