Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Pioneer AVICX910BT or Kenwood DNX6140

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Pioneer AVICX910BT or Kenwood DNX6140

Help me choose I can't decide... Doing some traveling this summer before college starts again and i'm going to install a navigation unit, that way I don't have to use my iphone lol... For you tech guys, your help is needed between the pioneer and the kenwood.

P.s., when it says dvd playback, does that mean being able to see a dvd movie? I'm lost when it comes to this stuff, I haven't had a custom stereo in a while...

Thanks in advance,
me

Old 06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
I'm going to chime in to this one since i just recently bought the kenwood dnx-6140. Let me tell u, I made the SMARTEST decision picking this headunit over the F90 from pioneer. The #1 reason? LAG AND BOOT UP TIME!! Here are some specs i have on my kenwood:

Startup time: AMAZINGLY FAST for basically a computer loading up. I have music playing in about 10 seconds (hooked up to an ipod, dvd, radio, or aux port in front) and the gps is ready to go in about 23 seconds.

Bluetooth sync up: about 10 seconds, i'm ready to make phone calls. I can even send TEXTS!! Yeah u heard me, i can read and send texts through my headunit!! It's the bombest stuff. However since my phone is older (samsung sync) i have some trouble with it, but i don't text while i drive anyways so i don't use the function much.

Ipod connection:
The ipod hookup is literally instantly. 10 seconds and it's playing music. I have only 2 MINOR downfalls to the unit. The navigating through the headunig is extremely fast and quick to find songs or playlists, there is NO lag!! One of them is that the headunit has a memory function. Let's say ur listning to ur playlist and ur on a song and u plug it in to the car, the headunit will continue to play where u left off. Very awesome featuer. HOWEVER, if u turn off the car with the ipod plugged in and turn the car back on, u will clear out the memory and ur music will start from the first song (so mine is ABC123 by the jackson 5 [RIP MICHAEL JACKSON U WERE THE GREATEST!!!]) so i'd have to go back and find the song. Not a huge hassle but it does get annoying if u don't disconnect ur ipod.

Another minor thingie. I keep music videos, cartoon episodes (mainly family guy, simpsons and spongebob) and LOTS of movies on my ipod. When i watch them using the ipod dock connector, for some reason the picture gets stretched and i lose about 3/4 inches of the picture on both sides. I thought it was zoomed in but it's not. Nothing huge but u lose a little bit cut off the sides. THIS DOES NOT DO IT WITH DVD'S. U see dvd's perfectly, only when i watch movies/music videos/cartoons through my ipod. Maybe i'll figure it out, but i got over it (and i'm a perfectionist!)

DVD playback:
I did the ebrake mod. All i did is when ur wiring up the pin harness to the radio harness, u gotta ground the light green wire that's for the ebrake. Now i can drive and watch dvd's and also use the navi to type in a location. I watch dvd's while i drive, so? I do it cuz it's funny listening to spongebob going to work. The navigation is very simple. You touch a portion of the screen and it allows you to highlight the dvd title screen or functions. Super clear and crisp video while watchin dvd's! Amazing quality!!

GPS:
Okay this was a dealbreaker for me for sure. I LOVE the navi on this thing! It's powered by garmin and so it ALWAYS has reception and it's PINPOINT accurate! The instructions states that you have to mount the gps antenna on the outside of the car, but behind the headunit there is a long metal rebar. I just stuck it to that (magnetized) and hoped it would work through the plastic of our dash. I have ALWAYS full reception all the time!

Sync up time to a satellite, literally seconds. Re-routing is also very fast, taking only about 3-4 seconds on how to get back on track. The screen is also very crisp and clear and is easily readible.

Radio: right now i'm using just the regular tuner, but i'm gonna get an HD tuner very soon. The radio however is very strong and comes in clear, a LOT clearer then the oem headunit. I also love it cuz u can customize the radio station settings. It also picks up the data from the radio (like on KISSFM it will tell me what song is playing and by who).

Equilizer and settings:
There are LOTS of settings for this unit. No joke, there is a crap load. I'm still getting used to it and still learning about new functions. The equilizer is a bit hard to understand and a little difficult to find that sweet spot where the sound is always clear, but i'm almost there. I've only had it for a week, GOSH! lol.

Design: Definitely a HUGE decision maker between this and the F90 because both of them have rotary volume knobs. I HATE button volumes and prefer rotaries. One reason why i picked the kenwood over the pioneer is because you actually have something to grab onto. The wheel sticks out about 3/4 inches thick and it's fully rubber, so grabbing it is no problem. The pioneer is only about 2mm thick and might be a bit to grab on, especialy because the rotary also has buttons (u can push it up, down, left right). The kenwood only goes in for the ATT function for quick volume dimming (po-po).

The buttons on the side has quick access to GPS, telephone, rear view camera, and turning off the unit. The display also has a million colors to choose from so u will find that perfect color to match ur interior or any color u desire. The front AUX port is also very handy if u wanna use a regular mp3 player.

All in all, i made a GREAT deicision picking the kenwood dnx-6140 over the pioneer f90BT because of all the facts above. Would i buy it all over again? HELL YEAH!!

My post aint s**t without pix. Please excuse the gap on the top right corner of the headunit. I got the corner to fit PERFECTLY by slightly heating up the back of the plastic and moulding it so it fits properly. Now all i need is an OEM honda clip and it'll hold it in perfectly. Also had to do the pin mod for the HVAC controls for them to sit properly. Took about 1/2 hour to get it perfect (cuz i'm a perfectionist ):

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 06-26-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Stay away from pioneer!!! Nothing but problems for me and my f90

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
cool, thanks for the replies guys... I might go with the kenwood then. I'm building a custom fiberglass enclosure too for the hatch as we speak, it'll hold either a 10 or 12" jl audio, perfect for up too .75 cu.ft for a sealed enclosure. I honestly don't know if to buy a shallow jl or just a regular jl, the enclosure will work with both, gr...

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
BUT he is asking about the f910..which is a new model
not the f90
maybe pioneer fixed the lag issue? idont know?
but kenwood has garmin..so im leaning toward kenwood my self
I might go witht he 7140

Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107

Impressive-looking HU...and sounds like the functionality's up to snuff too! I wish we had this on our shores...

One question: Does the faceplate detach for security purposes?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Impressive-looking HU...and sounds like the functionality's up to snuff too! I wish we had this on our shores...

One question: Does the faceplate detach for security purposes?
I wish it did. But it's okay i got insurance on my headunit now so if someone steals it, gonna get back $1350 for anotherone. It only cost me $2 more per month.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
I've been looking into the latest Navi units myself, and after reviewing, toying, reading, etc.... I am alsmot decided for the new Eclipse AVN726E:
ECLIPSE DVD-Video/USB Multi-Source Receiver/ 7inch Wide Screen Monitor/Navigation/ Built-in Bluetooth wireless technology AVN726E | Fujitsu Ten

Manual:
AVN726E Online Manual / ECLIPSE

This thing appears to be stunning. Look at the manual and you will get a good idea of the impressive feature set. Some drawbacks I could find however were: no album art, only 2 button color assignment (screen has 6 color skins though), and lastly no volume knob.

I used to think Eclipse was crap, but it is a Fujitsu brand, and looks like their latest units are above the typical brands.