Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio controls on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Audio controls on steering wheel?

Is there a JDM or Mexico steering wheel that has the controls on it for a stereo?

I'm thinking of getting one and using a PAC interface for my AVIC-Z1

Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
what dash bezel are u using?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spider2k
what dash bezel are u using?
I would like to know this also.. please inform us

Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I pulled the steering wheel apart last week. There is a place for the contols and a dummy filler block in there but no extra wiring in the airbag clock spring. You would need to 'reassign' the dimmer wire and just ground the cruise button dimmer wire to the horn ground wire so they will not dim anymore. Honda only uses one wire for audio controls so you can use this now unused dimmer wire and cut it at the car side of the clock spring and run it to the radio. There should be an empty pin in the harness.

Last edited by claymore; 08-15-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:00 AM
your wheel looks the same as our European one. On the top of the range, we get full steering wheel control for the factory fit radio.

Al.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p11wrg
your wheel looks the same as our European one. On the top of the range, we get full steering wheel control for the factory fit radio.

Al.
But would it work...you guys are on the damn wrong side of the road

Seriously, I think it would work, its just a button and the silver trim that would need to be replaced. Any idea on the cost of the parts over there?

Scott

Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by alarmgui
I pulled the steering wheel apart last week. There is a place for the contols and a dummy filler block in there but no extra wiring in the airbag clock spring. You would need to 'reassign' the dimmer wire and just ground the cruise button dimmer wire to the horn ground wire so they will not dim anymore. Honda only uses one wire for audio controls so you can use this now unused dimmer wire and cut it at the car side of the clock spring and run it to the radio. There should be an empty pin in the harness.
Kinda funny. That's the way I was thinking of wiring it too. First thing I want is my damn service manual so I can see how the cruise controls are wired. Another option is to relocate the main cruise button to the dash and using that wire too.

I've asked Ben at AJ-Racing to see if the blank out plate on the left is the same in the other markets. If it is, the radio button plate will bolt up. Then the wiring.

The JDM Fit/Jazz has two wires from the radio to the buttons in the steering wheel. Not sure if one wire can simply be grounded or not.

Attached Thumbnails Audio controls on steering wheel?-fit_steering_audio_controls.jpg  
Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
On every Honda/Acura I've dealt with, when we use the steering wheel integration modules for aftermarket radios, the one wire is trigger and the other is simply ground. So you would be able to ground the steering control to the same horn button ground wire and only loose the dimming feature of the buttons. I assume the radio controls are lit too so you would have to jump those wires to the cruise wires..colors will prob match right up.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Good to know. Which of the two wires do you guys usually ground?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
After doing some more digging, looks like wiring these buttons will be even easier than I imagined! Since I have a manual Sport, there should be 2 unused wires in the steering wheel since I don't have the padle shifters and The manual and automatic USDM Fit Sport use the same cable reel! Here's hoping the CDM Fit Sport is build the same way.

If the pricing is reasonable, I'll be ordering the buttons.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Keep us posted on this as this may be a mod I do in the future...

Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I took my aiur bag out () and confirmed that there are 4 available pins in the cable reel. I've ordered the radion controls and steering sub harness from the JDM Fit from AJ Racing and I already have the extra wires to slip into the radio harnes.

As soon as I get the parts I'll be installing them and creating a how to.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SWEET!! one question is if there is 4 extra pins in the manual sports? cuz i have an auto sport and i was wondering if i need all of those wires. a writeup would be awsome.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Those 4 pins are used in the automatic sport for the paddle shifters. Simplest way to do it in an auto Sport is as recommended by alarmgui.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm interested in this mod...do you have any pics of the JDM audio controls??

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member

Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Got my service manual today. The famous pin 3 on the radio for steering controls must have been relocated. All the pin assignments on the Fit are at different locations than our 2000 Odyssey. GRRR...

Good news is my controls were shipped from AJ Racing in BC on Friday.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
How much ?? US preferably Can you forwward me a copy of that page? alarmgui@aol.com put FIT INFO in the header please.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I can't remember the exact price. IIRC it was around 140$ CDN (so around 120$ US) plus shipping, including the JDM steering sub harness.

I'll try to remember to bring the manual to work and scan the pages in question. I just found that the 2006 Civic EX has the radio controls on pins 4 (signal) and 5 (ground) of the 20 pin plug. This 20 pin plus isn't the same as the previous 20 pin plug. Most common wires are in the 17 pin plug.

If the other wire assignments are the same, I'll know where to wire up the steering mounted radio controls to the head unit.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
You'll be doing a write up with pics, right??

I'm really looking forward to this as I want to do this as well!!

Quick Reply: Audio controls on steering wheel?