Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

FIT IPOD questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know about the Sport... the fact that you guys already have functionality tied to the 'Aux' button may make for weird interactions between this unit and your OEM Aux-in. Also, don't you have a CD changer too? The PA11HON2 makes the head unit think it's a CD changer. I suppose it's worth a try but I have no experience with it!

Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
hey matt thanks for the speedy reply...I had one more question though: When you are placing the order for the part it asks you to enter your vehicle info. to get the free instructions and accessories for it, but it says that it is not compatible with the car? Should I pass on it then and just order the unit? I am not very comfortable with doing my own install, so I would take it to my local installer: would it be an easy install for them? Thanks,sorry for the long post.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mattschechter
I don't know about the Sport... the fact that you guys already have functionality tied to the 'Aux' button may make for weird interactions between this unit and your OEM Aux-in. Also, don't you have a CD changer too? The PA11HON2 makes the head unit think it's a CD changer. I suppose it's worth a try but I have no experience with it!

Nah, Sports don't have a CD changer. It's a single-CD.

Hopefully Crutchfield or USA Spec will update their website soon.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:21 AM
I can't say much of anything about Crutchfield as I ordered it from USA Spec directly, but it shouldn't be too hard for your local guy. I would recomend printing the install instructions (not the users guide) for the Honda MusicLink off of the Fit Accessories section of www.collegehillshonda.com and giving them to the installer. They cover how to safely remove the head unit without damaging anything... don't bother with the cord placement instructions though... no need to cut the glovebox or anything. FWIW, my test is Saturday so I'm hoping to make a nice writeup with pics after then. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Any updates?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
bump for possible updates?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
[quote=mattschechter]Note that the item you posted from Circuit City is for Panasonic head units and not for OEM Honda Fit stereos (ie. it won't work).

mattschechter,
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying that you have a Panasonic head unit in your base model Fit? Cause I've been looking for some way to install an after market radio and can't find a dash kit or anything. Please let me know!
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, I bought the Honda Music Link before reading the reviews. Some good points: iPod safely stowed in the glove box, iPod being charged, interface is digital and leaving the AUX input available for another device. The interface...well its quite cute and horrible. Cute because it can announce the songs (text to voice) over the sound system. Horrible because you must have impeccable timing to push the "seek" button right after the first letter is announced. Often do not get the predicted results. My workaround is just to play in random mode most of the time, or select one of about a half dozen playlists. Do not get the info tags on the DISP button however, anyone know how to do this from Music Link?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up iPod to Aux adapter under $10

All you need to hook your iPod up to your Fits Aux input is this.

This is mine it's short but they come in various lengths.

3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug
Male-to-male connectors

While this doesn't charge your iPod it works just the same. Plug one end into the iPods headphone jack and the other into the Aux jack.

You can find it here at Radio Shack for about $4 with a 6' cable. I use this to play MP3's using my Archos Jukebox and the Aux jack.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind....5mm%20%20male

You can always get an auto charger for the iPod and have it pluged in and charging while using this since it doesn't get in the way of the charger connection because it uses the headphone jack.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Hey mattschechter, any updates on the usa spec install?

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Cool - BUT... It's not a real line level out without adding a resistor. It would sound even better if you had a real iPOD componet cable that came out the bottom instead of the earphone.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Works for me just fine.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Works for me just fine.
^^ what he said ^^

The sound quality is nearly inaudible unless you compared side by side.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
For a difference of around $150 I'll live with it either way. Besides I don't own an iPod...lol.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I did this with Ipod and the sound was great. I eventually use it for my XM Roady XT. It sounds great too. Not like the FM transmitter or Tape. Eventually I'll figure how to hardwire to free up aux port. Anyone know how to do that? Hide the install and such...
Thanks.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
If you could find just the plug for the back of the stereo where the Honda iPod adapter plugs in it should be pretty easy to do since it's supposed to be the same plug for a cd changer you should be able to find one.

You would basically be making your own iPod adapter doing it that way.

Unless you just splice into the wires going to the Aux Jack. You would just have to make sure you didn't have 2 things hooked up thru it at the same time like 1 thru the splice and 1 pluged into the jack. It should be easy to do.

Here's how the Aux Jack is wired.

Hope that helps. If you're going to do it how about doing a DIY while you're at it for anyone else that wants to do the same thing ?

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
iPod auxillary jack vs. Music Link

Just bought a Fit and one of the attractive features was the aux jack to connect iPod and be able to use CD Player buttons to control iPod.

Unfortunately, the only dash button that works when connected through aux jack is the volume. No song display or shuffling capabilities.

Does this mean I have to buy a Music Link. I have heard bad reviews about the Link and it is spendy $$.

Any advice?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Retired Moderator
If you want full control over the iPod, then yes, you need music link. What I recommend you do is either wait for the dash trim from Metra or other companies and install a iPod compatible deck. A cheaper alternative is to buy the wireless remote control for your iPod. They usually come with a velcro strap that you can use to strap it to your steering wheel. Use that in conjunction with the AUX jack and you are good to go.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
On hold: Honda Music Link for iPod

FYI, my dealer called yesterday and said that Honda North America has put a hold on dealer installations of the Music Link for iPod kits due to "software problems discovered by Honda and Apple". So, for my NHBP Fit Sport 5MT that I take delivery on Friday I'll have to use the AUX port instead. He didn't have an estimate of when the problem would be resolved or when the Music Link kits would be again available.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
So, does anyone have a positive experience to report using the Dension ice>Link or an another solution for integrating the iPod with the Fit Sport sound system?

Quick Reply: FIT IPOD questions