Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

Replacing stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
It absolutely makes a huge difference. I've got 6 1/2 MB Quart 100 rms component speakers in the front and 5 1/4 Alpine type R 100 rms components in the rear only bring powered by that alpine amp and I can't even turn the gains all the way up, the different in clarity is huge

Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Cnordt I saw the amp you got linked on another thread. Does the cars harness plug right in or with an adapter? Or do you have to splice some wires or rewire the cars harness?

Also do you think you would see dramatic improvement even with the stock speakers?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yazoo82
Cnordt I saw the amp you got linked on another thread. Does the cars harness plug right in or with an adapter? Or do you have to splice some wires or rewire the cars harness?

Also do you think you would see dramatic improvement even with the stock speakers?
If you are going with the stock head unit then you will need to at least splice in the speaker leads. You can connect the ground wire to the chassis seperatly, run the power wire to the battery, and run the blue amp wire to the radio fuze. The amp will definitely improve the stock speakers, but they will never sound real clean. Not sure if you have ever looked at the stock speakers, but they are paper garbage with very little power (you can tell by the very tiny magnet that powers them) so just about anything aftermarket will be an improvement.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 AM
Do you have to run separate power to the battery? You can't just run off the radio power?

And so long as you run the blue wire to the radio there's no issues of the amp not running when on aux, cd, radio? Ie the amp is on always so long as the car is on?

Last edited by Yazoo82; 05-18-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yazoo82
Do you have to run separate power to the battery? You can't just run off the radio power?

And so long as you run the blue wire to the radio there's no issues of the amp not running when on aux, cd, radio? Ie the amp is on always so long as the car is on?
You can tap the ground and power wires in to the stock radio wires, some people prefer running separate bigger gauge cables for amps but that Alpine amp doesn't use enough power to need big gauge wires. The stock radio doesn't really have a remote wire to splice in that blue wire from the amp. You are better off running the remote wire to the fuse box and hooking it up directly to the radio fuse. That's the advantage to having an aftermarket head unit, they have a blue remote wire ready to use so you don't have to hook in to the fuse box.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:38 PM
I'd like to put my .02 in on this. The stock speakers can be amped but only by say a small 25x4 amp. That's all the stock speakers could carry. Anyone wanna opine on this?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
I'd like to put my .02 in on this. The stock speakers can be amped but only by say a small 25x4 amp. That's all the stock speakers could carry. Anyone wanna opine on this?
The amp he's talking about is that small Alpine power pack unit, but like I told him.. they are going to sound like crap no matter what considering they are cheap paper.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Just my 2 cents. .... go to crutchfield.com. do your research there you can compare EVERYTHING and do it "apples to apples" And you can learn about what you want from a hu and speakers etc....then look up devices that will meet your needs. I like to have a good radio (i know. .. Olds school) some you want to check the FM decibel sensitivity. .. and they teach you all about that kind of stuff. If you're new to mod of stereo stuff this company is a great start!

Old 05-22-2016, 02:02 PM
This is all Great advice and I really appreciate the equipment listings.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 PM
hey i have a 2007 fit sport i also have a similar question id like to put in door speakers without having to mess with the stock stereo the sound system is just so bad i plan on putting in an amp and subs but just for now id like to replace at least 2 if possible 4 depending on what i can do with no amp.. and the factory wires

Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ndub
hey i have a 2007 fit sport i also have a similar question id like to put in door speakers without having to mess with the stock stereo the sound system is just so bad i plan on putting in an amp and subs but just for now id like to replace at least 2 if possible 4 depending on what i can do with no amp.. and the factory wires
Replacing the stock speakers without upgrading your head unit will do minimal to no effect at all since the oem head unit output is capped to provide power only to oem speakers. If you do decide to go aftermarket, they can at least provide enough power for aftermarket speakers.

I have an aftermarket Sony deck with 2 JBL 3-way speakers up front and kept the rear speakers oem and I find it enough for daily driving.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
Replacing the stock speakers without upgrading your head unit will do minimal to no effect at all since the oem head unit output is capped to provide power only to oem speakers. If you do decide to go aftermarket, they can at least provide enough power for aftermarket speakers.

I have an aftermarket Sony deck with 2 JBL 3-way speakers up front and kept the rear speakers oem and I find it enough for daily driving.
i plan on upgrading the whole shabang just for now id like to start at the front speakers id start with the stereo itself but the speakers are very much sub par.. and the mount and stuff for the fit isnt cheap so i just cant afford to upgrade everything at once

Old 08-14-2016, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ndub
i plan on upgrading the whole shabang just for now id like to start at the front speakers id start with the stereo itself but the speakers are very much sub par.. and the mount and stuff for the fit isnt cheap so i just cant afford to upgrade everything at once
I see you have the Sport model which comes with the door tweeters, correct?
The dash kits are pretty cheap now (Around $50usd give or take), and a decent aftermarket unit should run you not more than $150. Just my suggestion, start with the head unit first, you'll see that it will make a noticeable difference.

When I upgraded my deck, I really didn't see the need to get aftermarket speakers but since I only have the base model and no tweeters, that's only when I bought my 3-ways.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 PM
As a side note, i also wanted to upgrade my speakers but everyone told me i needed an amp. I did some looking around and some reading and found that JBL makes OEM stock replacement speakers.

I looked into the GTO628 and the GTO638 both with 2ohm impedance. After market speakers, amps and all are generally 4ohm.

I bought 2 of the GTO638 to try and i was very pleasantly surprised at the clarity and tweeter it added. Compared the rear stock to the front JBL was a world of difference. I now appreciate certain music i use to hate and i can hear all kinds of fancy intstruments that were non existent with the oem speakers.

Easy as, i just ordered another 2 this morning for the rears.

I do have a stealth pioneer sub in the back also which adds to the set up. I am very happy with this. A world away from the stock speakers, they are garbage.

oem HU are 2ohm, after markets are 4ohm - so if you want a better than stock quality replace the speakers with 2ohm ones. If you go 4 ohm you will need amp and all.

2ohm speakers are not very easy to come by and they cost twice as much as the regular 4ohm speakers too.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by spootnik
As a side note, i also wanted to upgrade my speakers but everyone told me i needed an amp. I did some looking around and some reading and found that JBL makes OEM stock replacement speakers.

I looked into the GTO628 and the GTO638 both with 2ohm impedance. After market speakers, amps and all are generally 4ohm.

I bought 2 of the GTO638 to try and i was very pleasantly surprised at the clarity and tweeter it added. Compared the rear stock to the front JBL was a world of difference. I now appreciate certain music i use to hate and i can hear all kinds of fancy intstruments that were non existent with the oem speakers.

Easy as, i just ordered another 2 this morning for the rears.

I do have a stealth pioneer sub in the back also which adds to the set up. I am very happy with this. A world away from the stock speakers, they are garbage.

oem HU are 2ohm, after markets are 4ohm - so if you want a better than stock quality replace the speakers with 2ohm ones. If you go 4 ohm you will need amp and all.

2ohm speakers are not very easy to come by and they cost twice as much as the regular 4ohm speakers too.
I did 2-ohm as well. Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1. I added an amp to stock deck though. That said, 2 ohm speakers like infinity and sister brand JBL double the output safely from the deck. For example, the stock deck makes 160 watts max. When you drop in 2 ohm speakers to replace 4 ohm ones, you've pretty much double the wattage from 160 to 320 watts. U can tell by the added volume at say 30 on stock speakers vs JBL's.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
I did 2-ohm as well. Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1.

Yeah i was tempted with infinity but the price tag was almost double the JBL so i settled for the cheaper option and JBL is a good brand anyway.

I did my rears yesterday, finally. I lost two screws in the process as it was getting dark and i rushed the job which was a big mistake but anyway .... The sound is great now. It won't vibrate widows and wake up the neighbourhood but for my personal pleasure inside the car it's great to finally hear some good music and extra musical instruments (Lows and Mids) - Though the mids on the jbl are more of a gimmick but the difference with the oem are night and day.

Now maybe if i get board eventually i might consider an amp, maybe

Next task > some yakima whispbar Heavy duty !

Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah i was tempted with infinity but the price tag was almost double the JBL so i settled for the cheaper option and JBL is a good brand anyway.

I did my rears yesterday, finally. I lost two screws in the process as it was getting dark and i rushed the job which was a big mistake but anyway .... The sound is great now. It won't vibrate widows and wake up the neighbourhood but for my personal pleasure inside the car it's great to finally hear some good music and extra musical instruments (Lows and Mids) - Though the mids on the jbl are more of a gimmick but the difference with the oem are night and day.

Now maybe if i get board eventually i might consider an amp, maybe

Next task > some yakima whispbar Heavy duty !
JBL and Infinity are actually made by the same company (Harmon Kardon), so you just about have the same speakers. I put Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components in my front doors and Alpine Type R 5 1/4 components in the rear. I cut holes I the rear door panels for tweeters and i don't regret it at all lol. If you are going to be pushing aftermarket speakers, you should look in to adding an amp, doesn't have to be anything crazy. There are several companies now making "power pack" units pushing an extra 45 watts per channel that can fit behind your dash. Look at the Alpine KTP-445U amp, it will make a huge improvement to those speakers, won't require you to run a separate power wire from the battery, and doesn't cost too much.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by cnordt24
Look at the Alpine KTP-445U amp, it will make a huge improvement to those speakers, won't require you to run a separate power wire from the battery, and doesn't cost too much.

Hmmm, now you are tempting me and i know my wife will just kill me if i talk about one more mod but maybe i wait 2 weeks then i'll mention it .

$100 worth and easy install i see.

How easy is it to get behind the oem HU and those wires ?

Are there RCA connectors from the oem HU for this amp or will i require some kind of adapters or converters ?

thanks

Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, now you are tempting me and i know my wife will just kill me if i talk about one more mod but maybe i wait 2 weeks then i'll mention it .

$100 worth and easy install i see.

How easy is it to get behind the oem HU and those wires ?

Are there RCA connectors from the oem HU for this amp or will i require some kind of adapters or converters ?

thanks
The stereo isn't too hard to pop out (at least it wasn't on my GD), as for wiring the unit it depends if you plan on staying with the stock radio or going aftermarket. If you plan on staying stock, you will need to splice in to the speaker wires. This can be a little complicated depending on which Fit you have. If you go aftermarket radio then it's really easy and you can wire the amp in to the aftermarket harness. I wired that Alpine power pack in to my wife's old CRV, she wanted to keep the stock stereo so I had to wire the amp in to the speaker wires. The only spot was down under the dash after the speaker wires passed through the stock amp. Then I needed RCA/Speaker wire adapters.. So unless you are comfortable with car stereo, just get an aftermarket unit. Sound is usually cleaner anyways.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:34 PM
People might not agree with me

Hey guys,
for last 7 years I have been driving Jazz, this is my second Jazz, as children sits in the rear, in Finland my both Jazz came without speakers, and when I open the door panel, the Holes are blocked with Styrofoam (I can upload pic).

Anyways ,coming to the topic, I tried to install in my old honda 2006 and Now my current 2008 I am trying to install rear speakers, But why After market speakers does not sound as good as the Factory installed?
I know many or almost all, does not agree with me, but I tried 2 way and 3 ways speakers from Pioneer to Rockford, Sony Xplod, Renegade, Alpine and Kenwood. but NONE gives as good bass as my factory installed front speakers.

what are the watts for fit/jazz rear speakers for Factory installed Stereo?
if I want to buy new one,

OR where to buy factory original speaker (Not Aftermarket)
if the suggested speaker I try and if I not like it, I really would like to have original speakers but if I can get the same loud, clear and bass sound as my original speakers, I would go to OEM.

please suggest guys,

thank you very much in advance.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock speakers