Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

Polk DB651 vs DB651S

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Polk DB651 vs DB651S

Hi awesome Fit folks! I've fallen off of the earth for a while, but now I'm back. So I have upgraded my head unit to a double din, and upgrading to some Polk front speakers to. To keep it short, DB651 vs DB651S. Regular vs shallow. 35Hz, vs 50Hz. I hear some people saying the DB651 will undoubtedly fit in the Fit. Crutchfield says they won't. I don't know, should I play it safe and go with the DB651S or just get the regular DB651. I believe the main difference is the protrusion of the tweeter on the DB651 sticks out more than the DB651S. What to get?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
The DB651 will fit with a spacer ring. I have them installed in the front and rear doors of my 2008 Fit Sport.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Hey thanks for that. Ibet it sounds fantastic! That's good to hear because I just went ahead and ordered thedb651. You say they need a spacer, can I ask you why? I thought if anything, I would half to shave off the inside of the OEM speaker grille to give tweet room.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cicatrix
Hey thanks for that. Ibet it sounds fantastic! That's good to hear because I just went ahead and ordered thedb651. You say they need a spacer, can I ask you why? I thought if anything, I would half to shave off the inside of the OEM speaker grille to give tweet room.
The spacer is so the magnet will clear the windows when they are rolled-down. There was no issue with tweeter clearance in my Fit, but it's a GD, so I can't speak for installation in a GE.

I got mine for $49.99 per pair at Fry's earlier this year, and for what I paid, I think they sound great.

For reference, my head unit is an Alpine CDE-103BT, and that goes through a Pioneer DEQ-7600 graphic equalizer. The front speakers are powered by an Orion Cobalt CO3002 amp, the rear speakers are powered by a Jensen XA-2150 amp, and I have a JL Audio 10W1v2-4 subwoofer in a JL CS110 enclosure also powered by a Jensen XA-2150 amp. I run all EQ completely flat. No boost or cut on the head unit or the graphic EQ.

Personally, I wouldn't have installed the Pioneer EQ, but the EQ and all three amps were already in the car when I bought it, so I kept them in.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by hiwatt357
The spacer is so the magnet will clear the windows when they are rolled-down. There was no issue with tweeter clearance in my Fit, but it's a GD, so I can't speak for installation in a GE.

I got mine for $49.99 per pair at Fry's earlier this year, and for what I paid, I think they sound great.

For reference, my head unit is an Alpine CDE-103BT, and that goes through a Pioneer DEQ-7600 graphic equalizer. The front speakers are powered by an Orion Cobalt CO3002 amp, the rear speakers are powered by a Jensen XA-2150 amp, and I have a JL Audio 10W1v2-4 subwoofer in a JL CS110 enclosure also powered by a Jensen XA-2150 amp. I run all EQ completely flat. No boost or cut on the head unit or the graphic EQ.

Personally, I wouldn't have installed the Pioneer EQ, but the EQ and all three amps were already in the car when I bought it, so I kept them in.

Oh I see. So the spacer is mounting it further out from the door. Crutchfield should be giving me some brackets I think.
Man, that system of yours seems nice! All I have is an upgraded HU. Got a Pioneer AVH x2600.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Ok, I installed both db651 speakers last night. I used the included spacers with the Polk speakers rather than the scoche ones. I drilled my own holes through the steel of the door. Plenty of clearance from the front, and the back.

I have a 2013 Fit, and I had the windows down when doing the install to see how much clearance I would have and it must of been a good half inch. These speakers are definitely more precise, and punchy. I would say a little bit more low end as well. Overall a nice upgrade.
I plan on getting an amp, and sub now.

Thanks for the help folks.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cicatrix
Ok, I installed both db651 speakers last night. I used the included spacers with the Polk speakers rather than the scoche ones. I drilled my own holes through the steel of the door. Plenty of clearance from the front, and the back.

I have a 2013 Fit, and I had the windows down when doing the install to see how much clearance I would have and it must of been a good half inch. These speakers are definitely more precise, and punchy. I would say a little bit more low end as well. Overall a nice upgrade.
I plan on getting an amp, and sub now.

Thanks for the help folks.
Awesome! Enjoy the new speakers!

As for my system being nice...it's not that nice. All of the amps are kind of low-end amps. I have owned 12 cars over the past 28 years, and this one is the only car in which I've had separate amps and a subwoofer. I generally just install an aftermarket head unit and speakers in my cars. Had this car not come with all of the amps and the wiring already done, I probably would have just gotten a new head unit and replaced the speakers.

That said, though, I've really come to enjoy having the extra power and the subwoofer. When I drive my Ford Explorer, I really miss the amps and the subwoofer.