Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

MP3/WMA player that plugs into CD changer socket - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
MP3/WMA player and AUX jack that plugs into CD changer socket - UPDATE

This thread is about the cheapo chinese boxes you can find on ebay that plug into the existing CD changer port on the back of the stock head unit. The box allows you to play mp3 and wma coded songs from an SD card or a USB stick. The box also includes 3.5mm plug or jack to connect the stereo headphone output from an ipod, iphone, or other pocket music device equivalent to having an AUX jack. My experiences are with the 1st gen Fit, I don't know what unit you need for later models.

My original thread on these little gadgets, including the DIY on how to install them is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...er-socket.html

I'm updating because I swapped out the old box for a new one. The new unit is the WT-USB01 Car Adapter. Here's a listing that's representative of the new unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-AUX-Mp3-Adapter-Car-Digital-CD-Changer-For-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-City-/251421544892?fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item3a89e451bc&vxp=mtr
The old one would stop working temporarily if I placed my blackberry within two feet of it. Since the newer ones on ebay now sell for $30 (vice the $80+ I paid for the other one), I thought it might be worth trying the newer units to see if there were any improvements in resistance to interference. One minor added feature to this unit - it comes with a 3.5mm plug (vs a jack on the old unit) at the end of a long wire so I ran it behind the dash so it comes out at the storage compartments just forward of the shifter. The USB wire I left inside the glove box.

It installs identically to the old unit except that, due to experience, it took me all of 15 minutes - including glove box disassembly and clean-up - to get the new unit plugged in and double-sided taped up under the dash.

RDM still works. I can read 9 folders (CDs) on a 16GB or smaller USB stick. The manual says I can put 99 files in each folder - I was able to install and read more but I couldn't get RDM to work on folders with more than 99 files. (Some of that might be the interface adapter indexing the files in the folders, time will tell if I can sort that out.) The HU will only display song numbers up to 99 although it flashes something extra when first playing a song above 99.

The box appears to skip over empty folders, ignoring them entirely including the folder number display. If I have 4 of the 9 folders with stuff in them, I can only navigate 1-4 on the display, even if I'm using folders with other numbers.

The 3.5mm jack overrides the USB when it detects a signal so there's no control to switch between the two - it defaults to USB unless there's a signal from the jack but that's all this unit does from the 3.5mm jack. The functionality is just like headphones - there's no control over the player via the head unit. Also, it doesn't seem to automatically go back to the USB stick when I unplug from the jack - I had to cycle power via the ignition key to get it to play songs again - that may be a quirk of indexing the song or from overloading the first folder with more than 99 songs.

One last item - the older player still works. I found another fitfreaker and 1st gen base fit owner to take it.

Last edited by Rob22315; 08-17-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
So here's another update - now that everyone in my family owns iPhones, I wanted to see what was available for the Fits specific to the new (Lightning equipped) iPhones.

For around $22, I bought an interface adapter that has a 3.5mm phone jack and a Lightning connector. The Lightning connector only provides charging power to the iPhone. The audio connection is only through the 3.5mm jack into the iPhone headphone connection. The other reason I did it was because the USB connection never really worked all that well.

I did the install last night and the new unit works great. One big improvement was that the volume is more on par with the volume levels of the radio and CD player so I don't have to crank the volume on both the HU and the iPhone. It seems to charge the iPhone nicely.

I also notices that, for around $60, I could also buy a Lightning-only unit, ebay IIRC. Someone else can give one of those a try and see if that unit it more integrated with the HU.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob22315
So here's another update - now that everyone in my family owns iPhones, I wanted to see what was available for the Fits specific to the new (Lightning equipped) iPhones.

For around $22, I bought an interface adapter that has a 3.5mm phone jack and a Lightning connector. The Lightning connector only provides charging power to the iPhone. The audio connection is only through the 3.5mm jack into the iPhone headphone connection. The other reason I did it was because the USB connection never really worked all that well.

I did the install last night and the new unit works great. One big improvement was that the volume is more on par with the volume levels of the radio and CD player so I don't have to crank the volume on both the HU and the iPhone. It seems to charge the iPhone nicely.

I also notices that, for around $60, I could also buy a Lightning-only unit, ebay IIRC. Someone else can give one of those a try and see if that unit it more integrated with the HU.
I ordered the Lightning-only unit this evening because the 3.5mm jack doesn't fit the cases we use. Will report back once I get it installed. It was $55 off amazon.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:48 PM
hey there mate. I am thinking of purchasing this item too. Could you inform me about the quality of the music comparing to CD or FM? I am worried about the quality since it is cheap. Thank you.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM
So here's another update -...

For around $22, I bought an interface adapter that has a 3.5mm phone jack and a Lightning connector.

With this adapter do I need anything else to play mp3 from my iphone into the stock Fit system. I have a 2008 Fit with stock everything. Want to play mp3s into the system from my iphone.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ilhanalpo
hey there mate. I am thinking of purchasing this item too. Could you inform me about the quality of the music comparing to CD or FM? I am worried about the quality since it is cheap. Thank you.
The sound quality of these units is excellent given that you've got a stock system in a car that's got a lot of interior noise. It's not audiophile quality but these units won't be the lowest quality element of your signal chain IMO.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
With this adapter do I need anything else to play mp3 from my iphone into the stock Fit system. I have a 2008 Fit with stock everything. Want to play mp3s into the system from my iphone.
No. The unit with both the 3.5mm plug and the Lightning connector plays sound through the plug and provides power through the connector.

The unit with just the Lightning connector provides power and sound through the connector. The sound quality of this unit is better than the 3.5mm jack but I found that the connector became unreliable after 2-3 weeks so I went back to the one with the plug/connector setup.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
thank you rob22315.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
No. The unit with both the 3.5mm plug and the Lightning connector plays sound through the plug and provides power through the connector.

The unit with just the Lightning connector provides power and sound through the connector. The sound quality of this unit is better than the 3.5mm jack but I found that the connector became unreliable after 2-3 weeks so I went back to the one with the plug/connector setup.
Could you link me to the version of this device that will work on the 2015 EX? No aux has been a huge bummer. I've got the LG V20 with the DAC built into it and it puts out great sound. Bluetooth is so degrading. Getting a small amp installed Friday and may try to have them plug this thing in for me while they have the dash out.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JonBoyWhite
Could you link me to the version of this device that will work on the 2015 EX? No aux has been a huge bummer. I've got the LG V20 with the DAC built into it and it puts out great sound. Bluetooth is so degrading. Getting a small amp installed Friday and may try to have them plug this thing in for me while they have the dash out.
Sorry, can't really help you. My daughter totaled the Fit so I no longer track this forum. See if you can find a pic of the back of the head unit or find out the config of the CD player socket on the back to see if Honda is still using the same interface.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
I have just found this tread and want to continue.
Im thinking about this https://goo.gl/7pH4ZX
It is allmost the same but should have bluettoh.
Question is, is there the port on GE radio?

Any ideas where to put the mix are welcomed.
The unit might be in upper glove box.