Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

Neg/Pos wiring no difference, help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Neg/Pos wiring no difference, help please

Ok,

Over the weekend i installed a pair of JBL GTO638 in the front. Installation was fairly easy and all.

Then came the time to do wiring, i wasn't sure which colour is negative and positive. So, i thought i'd try and listen because "they" if you get the wiring wrong the speakers will sound like horrible.

I spent almost 20mins swapping wires back and forth and i could not hear any difference in the sound at all. I even made sure to swap it as quick as possible a few times during a "note" to get the same vibes and identical, no matter which wire i swapped around.

I am quite puzzled, can anyone explain why ?. Both left and right i spent a good half hour swapping testing and could not hear a difference. I even asked my boy to listen and tell me if there is a difference and he was like "mehhh" it's same.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
In a typical install, a decently loud hard bass note should make the speaker cone push outward. If yours pulls the cone inward on a bass note, it's wired backwards.

I have a 2011 USA wiring diagram (not sure how similar your car will be) that shows

LF door speaker :
Light blue +
light green -

RF door speaker:
brown +
red -

Old 11-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
In a typical install, a decently loud hard bass note should make the speaker cone push outward. If yours pulls the cone inward on a bass note, it's wired backwards.

I have a 2011 USA wiring diagram (not sure how similar your car will be) that shows

LF door speaker :
Light blue +
light green -

RF door speaker:
brown +
red -

Haa, the wiring colour is right, yep. Any chance you can also tell me about the rear wiring colours please and thanks ?.

Ok i will re open the door and make sure the wires are as specified above, thanks again for this info

Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spootnik
Any chance you can also tell me about the rear wiring colours please and thanks ?.
LR
Gray +
Brown -

RR
Blue +
orange -

Look on the stock speakers, one of the terminals might actually be labeled

Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
LR
Gray +
Brown -

RR
Blue +
orange -

Look on the stock speakers, one of the terminals might actually be labeled

Thanks a lot for this

I did look at the oem speakers but didn't see anything on there, maybe i didn't look close and long enough.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 PM
There's no positive and negative on speakers. Audio is AC, not DC.

The issue is that if you have polarity reversed then the bass will sound weaker. Because bass is less directional, if the speakers are out of phase, the bass from the left and right will cancel each other.

So it doesn't matter how they're hooked up except if it sounds like the bass is weaker, reverse the pair on ONE speaker.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

The issue is that if you have polarity reversed then the bass will sound weaker.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

The issue is that if you have polarity reversed then the bass will sound weaker. Because bass is less directional, if the speakers are out of phase, the bass from the left and right will cancel each other.

So it doesn't matter how they're hooked up except if it sounds like the bass is weaker, reverse the pair on ONE speaker.

Ahhh this explains a lot

Old 12-02-2016, 05:42 PM
So, today i got around to checking those wires. Opened my doors and unscrewed to find it was all nicely wired

Instinct haha, ah well. Waiting for my other two speakers to come and ill do the rears.

Thanks again