Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED DRL's Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM
LED DRL's Yay or Nay?

Not sure if there is an actual thread on the opinions of forum members. But if there is I apologize. What do you guys think of LED as DRL's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61184535@N07/5573253148/

Just trying it out

Last edited by tblue32; 03-30-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
i say nay. now the car looks like its smiling with its teeth showing.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like an Audi

Last edited by Black3sr; 10-07-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by EvoFit
i say nay. now the car looks like its smiling with its teeth showing.

Ha Ha, your so right it does look like it's smiling. I'm driving around with a smiley face.. .

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well..I guess I'll be the lone wolf I had them installed on my ride for a long time and I absolutely loved them, so did the majority of the people that asked me where they could get them.. But, I do agree, they do make yur ride look as tho it's smiling at you.... always better to wear a smile and not a frown
When I install my HID golden yellow foggies they did not compliment my HID'S -Headlamps- so I switched to amber instead in my air ducts, looks better with the g/y fogs. Picture quality is poor but you can get the idea....

6000k's
HangLoose036.jpg?t=1301623258

HangLoose038.jpg?t=1301622964

Replaced drl leds residue after removal with c/f wrap
Frontlowerbumpergarnishwrapd018.jpg?t=1301623067

LED's drl's amber moved to air ducts to compliment the golden yellow HID foggies.
Nightleds03-27-11010.jpg?t=1301623157

Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow beautiful set up VinnyMac. It's soo weird cause I first considered Amber LED's, in my mind they didn't seem so ostentatious. I guess the reason I'm really considering keeping them on is functional. I drive on a twisty 2 lane highway up a canyon 5 days a week. LED's are highly visible espcially during the day.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by tblue32
Not sure if there is an actual thread on the opinions of forum members. But if there is I apologize. What do you guys think of LED as DRL's.

led upload | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just trying it out

I like them. Just do what you like...everyone is not going to love everything. I hate people who put ugly chrome crap on their car but its not my place to dog it. To each his own.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
^^what he said.

do your own thing and let haters hate..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by drock305
^^what he said.

do your own thing and let haters hate..

actually i haven't seen anyone flame or "hate" on his ride yet. he asked for opinion and thats so far what he got.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Can someone provide a link to an easy, simple DIY to ADD the jdm led drl to the 2010 fit yes I want to have 2 sets of DRL lights. The originals and a second set of LED ones in the grill. I have googled a lot and just don't seem to come up with a simple tap proceedure!
TIA
Bill

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
are you just hard-wiring it with a switch?

we actually just made a kit that is a "true LED DRL" which activates like how a DRL should and cancels the stock high beam DRL output... the LED DRL can also double or be set as fog lights with a LED intensity adjustments

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 04-28-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
are you just hard-wiring it with a switch?

we actually just made a kit that is a "true LED DRL" which activates like how a DRL should and cancels the stock high beam DRL output... the LED DRL can also double or be set as fog lights with a LED intensity adjustments
I'd be interested in this.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
ThEvil0nE That sounds like something I need to look at! Originally I was just going to drive the fit with both sets of running lights on. I was thinking the easiest way would be to tie the led drl into the headlight power wire as there should be enough juice to run both sets but I was not sure what would happen to the led when you went and turned on the headlamps and got full power. In essence I just don't know enough about electricity!!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
@OP: not trying to jack your thread but if you're good at electronics you can start with this V-LEDS 9005 IN-LINE DRL MODULE PLUG N' PLAY VS | eBay and work your way around it as our fits are using dual filament 9005. contact them with proper voltage requirements as you may need to run relays. I'm also not sure if they cancel the current going to stock drl when when it activates, you may need to run more relays on that too

@NPH & billtmore: it's pretty sick

Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billtmore
Can someone provide a link to an easy, simple DIY to ADD the jdm led drl to the 2010 fit yes I want to have 2 sets of DRL lights. The originals and a second set of LED ones in the grill. I have googled a lot and just don't seem to come up with a simple tap proceedure!
TIA
Bill

I got these: Super Bright LEDs ? Daytime Running Lamps (the CW-5 Series)

they're actually very nice - so bright that they need to turn off when you turn on your headlights or else you'd blind people, basically as much as you would with high beams! I think one important spec to look at is the # of lumens. I think these give off 80 lumens PER LED, which is extremely bright for LEDs. This is why I bought these - this website is one of the few that actually puts the specs of their lights on the website.

so right now I just have them hooked up to my parking lights so they'd turn on when my parking lights turn on - it comes with another wire that you connect with your headlight wire - which will then turn off the DRL's when you turn on your headlights - but they will turn back on when you turn on your high beams.

I actually like this setup a lot because I have control of when I want them on, as long as I get into the habit of turning on the parking brakes all the time. I think it is possible to connect to your high beams, directly, so they'd turn on when your regular DRL's turn on- but I don't think it's quite enough voltage from the high beams to have them on consistently. One thing you could do is get a tap for the DRL fuse - and connect it to that ... I think it's called "add a fuse" you can find it on amazon - I tested this myself, there will be enough voltage to turn on the DRL leds.

as for worrying about having 2 sets of DRL's on and them drawing too much power, that is not something to really worry about - LED's don't draw much current at all, especially compared to halogens.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Ydnality..you are exactly right. I went ahead and hooked mine up Saturday. I connected the red wire to the high beam wire (which is the left wire if you were in front of your car looking down at the connector) (low beam on right) I spliced it in and then connected black to the car ground. so now when I turn on the ignition the original DRLs are on as they should be and the leds are on but at a reduced brightness then if I turn on the high beams, the LEDs light up much brighter not sure if it is so much that they will burn out faster but they seem ok. Then just like they should if I turn on the head lights (low beam) they go off I kind of wanted mine on while the low beams were on but I am happy. The only reason I did not go with the parking lamp wire is then my rear lights would be lit up all day as well. I may at a later date hook them up to a spare accessory wire if I can locate it or directly to the battery and put a switch into the dash (small and one that lights up to remind me to turn it off) I may just play and hook one side up directly to the battery to see what the difference is in brightness. In the end I am not sure I would have spent the 35 bucks for these but they are what they are!
thanks for the response too by the way!
Bill
I agree lumens should be listed I

Last edited by billtmore; 05-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
glad that worked for you! I guess I never tried that - i pulled my DRL fuse awhile ago because I installed HID projectors... but maybe I'll put it back in and try it out when I have time!