Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Headlight Reflector Painting - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Headlight Reflector Painting - HELP

Hey all, I've been a member here for a while but I just recently started my first "serious" project involving my GD3's headlights. I finally bit the bullet and got a full kit from TRS in Atlanta and am (or at least I thought I was) in the final stages of the whole thing. I had the reflector bowls and shrouds painted by a friend (who did it at night and in ~55*F) - I had not realized, until just a few days ago after looking at them in direct sunlight, that they are not nearly presentable, although you cannot see it in the photo. I obviously need to repaint them and I'm doing it myself.

My question is: should I use some sort of paint thinner on the shrouds and bowls, or sand all of them down and repaint? I obviously don't want to deform or damage the material underneath because they will be painted gloss black.

I'm a paint n00b but do appreciate any honest advice.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Just sand them down some until they are smooth. Clean really well and re-spray.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mixtape
Hey all, I've been a member here for a while but I just recently started my first "serious" project involving my GD3's headlights. I finally bit the bullet and got a full kit from TRS in Atlanta and am (or at least I thought I was) in the final stages of the whole thing. I had the reflector bowls and shrouds painted by a friend (who did it at night and in ~55*F) - I had not realized, until just a few days ago after looking at them in direct sunlight, that they are not nearly presentable, although you cannot see it in the photo. I obviously need to repaint them and I'm doing it myself.

My question is: should I use some sort of paint thinner on the shrouds and bowls, or sand all of them down and repaint? I obviously don't want to deform or damage the material underneath because they will be painted gloss black.

I'm a paint n00b but do appreciate any honest advice.
What size are those projectors?