Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Changed H4 from HID to Cree Led. Output too low

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Question Changed H4 from HID to Cree Led. Output too low

I heard that ge's problem is that the lowbeam is pointed way low compared to other cars.

Changed my ge's h4 hid to cree led hi/low and still on a factory adjustment. My problem is that the output is so near on lowbeam and too high for high beam. I think it's because of the led bulb design. Can the output still be fixed by adjusting the reflectors/lamp? If i adjust the low beam goin up, is the highbeam also adjust way higher too?

Whats the best way of adjusting the headlamp assembly? When the car is parked infront of a wall and marking the wall so that you will have a guide when the light is starting to lift up

Or

There is a specific number of turns on the adjustment screw to achieve a correct measurement?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Also what i did recently...

Parked the car infront of the wall. Marked the cutoff on the wall and tried adjusting the assembly then did 4 full rotation clockwise on the adjuster and nothing has changed. The beam doesnt go up based on the markings on the wall. My car is a 2012 ge a/t 1.5 btw and the adjuster is untouched since purchased brandnew and the assembly is in very good condition.

Do i need to go to a shop where beamsetter service is available? Please help me on what to do. When you adjust the screw do you significant change whether it goes up or down or you will only see the changes once you drive it on a highway? It seems that the markings on the wall and the cutoff is still on the same position when i did the adjustment.

Thank you.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Firstly, to properly aim headlights, you have to pull up to a wall, mark it... then back away about 25 ft (2 or 3 car lengths) to do the adjustment aim. This requires (near) perfectly flat road surface. Then you can attempt to aim it so that it DROPS no more than an inch or two from the mark. If it goes up at all, it's wrong (as all you'll do is blind oncoming drivers).

Secondly, it will take a TON of turns for you to notice anything up close... but once you back away, it'll be very drastic. So that 4 turns is probably doing way more than you think, but you're simply too close to the wall to properly do it at all.

And lastly, the headlamps are purposely aimed lower from the factory to accommodate aiming rules of various locations/nations etc. If your HIDs seemed to have been "aimed" higher in the same headlight housing, then the HID kit was a bad kit (too much light leakage through the shield. it did have one, right?) .

Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 AM
Thank you for the very informative reply.

Yes i aimed and adjusted mine on the wall just a couple of feet away and yes i did not notice any change so i turned the screw 1 full rotation counterclockwise because when i tried driving it i notice that the output went up and had some scattered light in it already.

I notice a little change but still i think leds output is too low compared to other bulbs. Btw, my leds are the newest version ones. The one with 2 small lens facing the front both for high/low.

Since i marked the screw with a marker before doin the adjustment, i hope that i dint mess it all up sinceits way easier to count a full revolution for both lamps.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
pop in some standard halogens and see if those are brighter. if they are, then the LEDs are useless.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 AM
In terms of brightness, LED won vs halogen. No glare compared to hid but both same color temp. The only problem i encountered on a GE lamp is that the lowbeam output is too low compared to halogens. Well, halogen is low but not that low compared to leds thats why i did some adjustments.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM
I just want to add.... for clarification purposes regarding adjustment

are both headlamps (passenger side and driver side) adjust on the same turns? i mean both clockwise direction and both counter clockwise?

for example... raising the beam up

Passenger side: clockwise
Driver side: clockwise

or the other assembly is counterclockwise vice versa?

because i must be wrong if i adjusted both assembly clockwise... example

3 full rotation clock wise on the passenger side headlight
3 full rotation clock wise on the driver side headlight

but when i checked the beam on the wall the cutoff is almost the same its just that the left is lower than the right (because left hand drive)???

I read somewhere in the illumination thread that....

When you adjust the left side clock wise, you should adjust the right side counter clockwise (the other way around)

Can someone enlighten me on this one? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Need feedback on this one thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
All recent Hondas have the passenger light slightly higher than the driver. Mainly to illuminate road signs better. Shoulder of the road a little further down etc. it drives me nuts. Just tonight I put yellow nokyas in my fog lights and had a straight beam and my headlights were off. My 8th gen si was the same. So was my crz.

They should adjust the same direction though.

Also. I didn't want to deal with stalling possibilities and not a fan of non projector hids. I used to buy the high buck sets. Truly do get what you pay for. I tried a set of silver star Zxe from autozone and was pleasantly surprised. Nice white. Better output. Doesn't look cheap or aftermarket. Didn't have to re aim anything. Just an idea though.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM
The point of my post is that you'll have to adjust the passenger slightly more than the driver side. Apparently I took the long way to get to that lol

Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 AM
Did some adjustment. Beam went up a lil bit. But now the driver side is like half an inch higher compared to the passenger side. I need to readjust. High beam btw is too damn high though.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 AM
I def agree with that. The high beams are pretty terrible. That's on thing I miss about my other Hondas. They all had a dedicated high beam and drl bulb. I haven't adjusted from factory height and they are up in the trees

Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM
i saw another wheel knob which is i believe for the horizontal (left to right) adjustment. Do i need to make any adjustments horizontally or keep it that way?

Also.. When you adjust in low beam, the high beam also adjust itself right? There's no separate screw for the high beam?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 PM
There's only one adjustment for both high and low beams, since both are part of the same light bulb. There's no way to individually change the position of the filaments (or LEDs or whatever) in the bulb.

I don't believe the GE8 has any lateral adjustment for the lights, only vertical.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
can you get a picture of the LED bulbs, curious to see the layout. you may have over adjusted your headlight adjuster causing it to unscrew itself. If you can move the reflector by pushing or pulling on the back of the bulb that may ne part of your problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Something like this. The only difference is theres another led for high beam. Btw, when in high beam. The light is focused on the side not in the middle

Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 PM