Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID Kit Help

Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 PM
HID Kit Help

I recently purchased two different PnP HID kits, having no luck getting either of them to work. After connecting everything up properly and grounding the kit, the HID bulbs do nothing whatsoever, they do not come on or flicker at all. (I did not mount the ballasts, just mocked them up)

The first kit I bought was Innovited, $50 from amazon, which I returned and bought another, more pricey kit from HID Extra. Here are the specs on the second kit:

HIDEXTRA Plug and Play HID kit (Includes Relay and Capacitors)
(Bulb Type: 9003 Bi-Xenon, Ballast Series: Stealth Series (Slim 35w), Color: 6000k (Intense White), Extended Warranty: No, Vehicle Year/Make/Model: '15 Honda Fit)
Can anybody offer some advice or if there is something I am overlooking?

Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
how would u know if u set it up properly if they don't even power on. post pictures. did u connect it to the battery. where did u ground it? did u connect it to the headlight socket?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM
One thing I had to do on my Mazda was to find out the polarity (which wires were + and which -). HID bulbs actually run on AC voltage (about 85VAC) which the ballasts produce. You need proper polarity connection for them to work. On the Fit is a bit different as single bulb has 3 wires which I'm guessing it has 1 + and 2 - connections (I may be wrong as I have not installed HID on my car yet). Also, before I decided on which HID kit to get I researched for quite a bit and eventually chose the 35W 4500K DDM Tuning kit and for almost 5 years I have no problems at all with the entire kit.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Yes I connected everything properly, as there is only one way to do so due to the shape of the connectors. The headlight socket (the kit connects only to the driver's side headlight socket, the pass. side is unused) has three pins. I even rearranged the pins in each configuration possible and had no luck. I removed the DRL fuse as well.

I grounded on a bolt on the fender near the headlight, also tried grounding on the negative terminal. I'm stumped as to what to try next...

Thank you guys for the input.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Did you also hook up to the positive on the battery terminal?

I know which grounding bolt you are referring to and that one should work. I used the same one initially.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 AM
I also will be doing an HID conversion in the future on my FIT. What did you guys have to do about daytime running lights? they are much dimmer and I have a feeling that the HID may not power up that way.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
You have to deactivate the DRLs by pulling the DRL fuse under the dash.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Will it be able to use low and high beams?

Old 06-18-2015, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Yep

10char

Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by TaubBaer
Will it be able to use low and high beams?
Yes, but make sure the bulbs are bi-xenon or hi-lo bulbs (HID low beams, halogen hi beams).

Some HID bulbs on the market are low beam only.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
Did you also hook up to the positive on the battery terminal?

I know which grounding bolt you are referring to and that one should work. I used the same one initially.
I didn't go to the positive terminal, i assumed that it was powered by the headlight socket and just needed a good ground. I will take a closer look at the kit tomorrow...

Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Connor Keyser
I didn't go to the positive terminal, i assumed that it was powered by the headlight socket and just needed a good ground. I will take a closer look at the kit tomorrow...
lol. you said u had everything connected properly. the positive connection to the battery is required to power the ballast. the headlight socket connection only signals the ballast that your headlight is on.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Connor Keyser
Yes, but make sure the bulbs are bi-xenon or hi-lo bulbs (HID low beams, halogen hi beams).

Some HID bulbs on the market are low beam only.
In the case you choose HID low, halogen hi beams, DRL will work fine.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
lol. you said u had everything connected properly. the positive connection to the battery is required to power the ballast. the headlight socket connection only signals the ballast that your headlight is on.
Thanks for pointing that out.. I should have realized that wire wasn't a ground >__<

Anyway, I finally caught time to get it all done today.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM
I installed a set of HID lamps in my 2015 Fit and they worked perfectly (seemingly) for about 2 weeks. They came on when starting the car (as DRLs) and of course when using them on low beam and high beam.

For some reason, when I went out to do some errands, I couldn't start the car. Turning the key would only result in a clatter of the starter solenoid failing to engage. The battery was completely flat and I had no choice but to boost the battery to start it using a Lithium Ion Battery pack. It started easily and I verified that there were no lights or other accessories that had been left on when last I used the car.

When I arrived at my destination, I realised that I had no DRL and in fact, neither low nor high beam would come on. I checked all the connectors at the relay, the ballasts and the factory lamp socket. All seemed in order but I still had no headlights.

I completed my errands (about 30 minutes) and the battery was flat again and required a boost.

When I got home, I re-installed the factory halogen H4 bulbs and everything is working but I really would like to get the HID lamps re-installed - they are soooo much brighter.

Any thoughts or trouble shooting suggestions?

Old 05-01-2016, 02:44 AM
What may be happening is that the ballasts are constantly in a warm up state because of the lower voltage used for DRL and we all know that HID light systems require the most energy during start/warm up. So they are constantly trying to complete the initial warm up. What I would do is first completely remove all your HID hardware, reinstall the stock bulbs, go to Honda to try and replace your battery as they are way too small for reliable long term operation and then reinstall your HIDs but this time pull the DRL fuse so your DRLs will not come on. I will be doing this in the next few monts when I get my HIDs. My battery had a very difficult time starting my car in the winter when it was very low temp outside. I never had a problem with my ither car in the winter.
Originally Posted by Medelegant
I installed a set of HID lamps in my 2015 Fit and they worked perfectly (seemingly) for about 2 weeks. They came on when starting the car (as DRLs) and of course when using them on low beam and high beam.

For some reason, when I went out to do some errands, I couldn't start the car. Turning the key would only result in a clatter of the starter solenoid failing to engage. The battery was completely flat and I had no choice but to boost the battery to start it using a Lithium Ion Battery pack. It started easily and I verified that there were no lights or other accessories that had been left on when last I used the car.

When I arrived at my destination, I realised that I had no DRL and in fact, neither low nor high beam would come on. I checked all the connectors at the relay, the ballasts and the factory lamp socket. All seemed in order but I still had no headlights.

I completed my errands (about 30 minutes) and the battery was flat again and required a boost.

When I got home, I re-installed the factory halogen H4 bulbs and everything is working but I really would like to get the HID lamps re-installed - they are soooo much brighter.

Any thoughts or trouble shooting suggestions?