Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Will this work? (Wiring for led footwell) 2015 fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
We are all waiting. Bass has a lot of patience.

So you near me to show me this?
Waiting on the LEDs to come. Got some led bulbs for the interior today, the whites I was going to use for the map lights are a touch too long and bump against the plastic push piece. Got some blues for the dome and they do fit the maps so blue it is for now. Put a couple of the whites in the license plate lights.

Going to try plastidip on my badges in the next couple days( would love to put the yellow Jdm badges on there but I'm afraid I'd mess it up), black them both out. Looking to put in a black Honda badge on the steering wheel.

Not that you asked any of this lol, but I have to tell someone! My wife just rolls her eyes.....I don't have deep pockets so just trying do do the cheaper stuff

I'm still a bit concerned about tapping into the fuse box, if something goes wrong and I fry something I wouldn't be able to replace it. But it should all go as planned.

Oh ya, no I'm not close, I'm on Vancouver island in BC! Grew up in Sioux lookout Ontario though if you know where that is....not many do

Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Bass has a lot of patience.
Why thank you! The FitFreak forum have been extremely friendly and helping to me, its the least I can do to contribute back!

Originally Posted by Macswfc

Oh ya, no I'm not close, I'm on Vancouver island in BC! Grew up in Sioux lookout Ontario though if you know where that is....not many do
I'm familiar with the area. I got a sales guy for my company who lives Kelowna, BC. My nearest service partner carrier terminal is over the border from our Washington facility over in Surrey, BC.

BC Island from a logistics freight operations (I'm the Logistics manager for my company) is a real pain in the ass! Canada in general really, but the maritimes forget it! Big $$$ to get anything shipped to and from.

FYI: Leave the LED ground tot he frame, dont bother with the ground pin of the dome light. Everything should have a path to the frame ground

Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
Still waiting on stuff. Have thought of doing some ground lights on both sides of the car, was thinking of two 90in strips, would it be ok to connect both positive together then splice into the hot wire I'll be running off the dome light pin (would just want them to come on when the doors open) and just ground each seperatley? Or am I starting to draw too much power at that point. Not sure if I'm going to do it, just seeing if it would be feasible

Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Macswfc
Still waiting on stuff. Have thought of doing some ground lights on both sides of the car, was thinking of two 90in strips, would it be ok to connect both positive together then splice into the hot wire I'll be running off the dome light pin (would just want them to come on when the doors open) and just ground each separately? Or am I starting to draw too much power at that point. Not sure if I'm going to do it, just seeing if it would be feasible
Cant say what the circuit is rated for, i wouldnt waste your time with the underbody lighting. I had it setup the same way you did, but the ice, snow, sand and salt did the strips in. Its a waste of money.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Cant say what the circuit is rated for, i wouldnt waste your time with the underbody lighting. I had it setup the same way you did, but the ice, snow, sand and salt did the strips in. Its a waste of money.
Fair enough. We do get a depressing amount of rain here in the winter.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
Macswfc and Bass

I agree. I had some cheap LEDs in grill and salt would get at them. Similar I put 3LED strips under door handles connected to dome. Looked really nice but tended to pull away or the wire would break. At the same time I had Honda puddle lights at bottom of front doors. Ripped it all out.

I know of Sioux Lookout. Never been there. My wife was in Pickle Crow years ago when there were no roads into it. Then she moved to Victoria.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Can anyone point me at a video or tutorial on removing the panel under the steering wheel? I believe I have to take some of the side panel to remove it, and don't want to snap anything....I'm a big dude and I can't get my hands anywhere near the dome light pin and see what I'm doing at the same time! Ugh
Oh and is it ok to ground directly to the negative terminal of the battery? Can't find any easily accessible bolts to take advantage of.

Last edited by Macswfc; 09-01-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  murT62m.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  614.5 KB

Ok so tapped into the power pin for the dome light. LEDs are wired to middle post of switch, wire from some pin is on one of the other connections on the switch. Haven't put the 12v constant in yet I ran ground to negative battery terminal since I couldn't find a suitable ground point. So the LEDs are not working with the dome light....if I switch them on they are just always on until I switch them off.

I picked up an illuminated switch, this has +, ACC, ground. Is the illuminated switch the problem? I know I'm missing something just not sure what.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing that the ground pin for the dome light regulates the on/off and fade for the LEDs and since I'm not tapped into that at all is why my set up is not working....

What if I did this a bit differently...is it possible to wire led + to constant 12v, then (and I'm sure an illuminated switch is not appropriate for this project, I'll have to get a proper 3 prong on/off/on switch) - from LEDs to middle prong, - from dome pin to top prong and ground to frame on third prong....then it simply controls what circuit is completed?

I'm pretty much just using this thread to work this out in my head LOL. I appreciate any help from anyone.