Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Tail light red LED strip as dim lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Tail light red LED strip as dim lights

I don't like that the tail light only comes with one bulb that functions both as dim lights and bright brake lights. I sometimes find it difficult on other cars to differentiate between dim and bright while driving at night, and I consider myself a cautious driver. If it's difficult for me, I can only imagine what it would be like for inattentive drivers, and I would hate for them to rear end me because they didn't realize that I was stepping on the brakes. There are newer cars on the road (like Audi's) that use a different approach where the perimeter of the tail light acts as the dim light, and the actual brake light is in the center. I find that a lot easier to tell when the car in front of me is braking, and that got me wondering if I could do something similar to my car. I bought a strip of red side-shine LEDs and put it around the tail light housing and hooked it up to the dim parking light circuit, and then replaced the 7443 dual filament bulb with a 7440 single filament bulb. This is how it looks on the driver's side compared to the old way on the passenger's side. What do you guys think? I'm liking it so far, but I'm also wondering, are there any regulations on tail lights I need to be aware of? (I live in TX, USA) Thanks in advance!

Name:  8XJ1ka6.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  682.3 KB