Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

a question for fog light owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb a question for fog light owner

Initially when I was shopping for my car I intended to buy the EX but I ended up buying a LX because we found a dealer with a LX demo that was a couple thousands cheaper (with low millage).

The only thing I really miss in that trim was the fog lights (the rest, not so much). But at the end of the day, I've never had a car before and I'm not sure to want extent they are useful.

So before I actually buy some I have 2 questions:

1) Do people who have them find they do much of a difference (particularly for driving during snowfall for exemple)
2) Should I go for OEM equipment to make sure it fits perfectly or for more affordable and powerful aftermarket solution

Thx guys for your input!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
The factory ones on my 07 light the road right in front of the car I use them a lot in heavy rain to see the fog lines on the road. They are not as bright as some but the beam on mine is nice and they do what I need, the headlights on the fit so far are quite adequate for me around town, the high beams work well on the road traveling so I'm satisfied.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2015 EX and the fog light coverage is more peripheral than anything. With headlights only the beam is pretty much linear all the way out. When I turn on the fogs I can see more peripherally (60 degrees on each side maybe) but it doesn't shoot out very far, maybe 8 feet or so if that. Driving in fog/bad weather gives me a more panoramic view directly in front of the car but no real change in brightness overall.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thx dwtaylorpdx and bach for your feedback and experience!

Your comments help with my reflection on the issue.

Did anyone install aftermarket light (or even better, had the OEM then equipped aftermarket ones to compare)?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Your comments help with my reflection on the issue.
I'd agree with dwtaylorpdx on the 07, my GFs 07 Fit Sport fogs are the same IMO.
(or even better, had the OEM then equipped aftermarket ones to compare)?
You get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't even get that.

Not Fit specific, but these were for Hondas and I have pics
Side by side comparison from a couple years ago..

One is from a set of NOS Honda accessory fog lights a coworker had saved to put on his own Accord, these were actually for a CRV and could fit some other models if one had the right brackets....

The other is from a cheap set he found on the internet. ALMOST a clone of the Stanley, but really a lousy knock-off.

Notice the reflector around the tip of the bulb in the NOS
The actual SAE number on the NOS lens
The name STANLEY and part number on the black trim ring

I didn't get pics of the backside of the units, but the Honda one has the name HONDA and STANLEY molded into it.
Knock-off says HONG YUAN on the back.

Also not pictured, the gaps in the sealant between the lens and body of the aftermarket unit. Looked like it would eventually get water inside and ruin the bulb prematurely or corrode the reflector.

And the most important part that counts, the beam:
the top one is from the knock-off
Bottom beam is from the Honda unit

These were just held about chest high and pointed at the shop floor, powered off a car battery.

Aftermarket units beam on top. Looks more like a floodlight to me. If there was really any fog, it would suck as a foglight.

Honda unit on the bottom has a nice wide, almost perfectly flat beam with sharp cutoffs and the hot spot in the center.

HTH

Attached Thumbnails a question for fog light owner-80-xthzy47_6d21736355c10232c199454b3857c3bb2f9728ad.jpg   a question for fog light owner-80-wg3njji_dda6308bf97e8499df885e69b58b9d9644537cd4.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Thx Ezone, getting to actually see the difference is quite useful.
It eliminates all cheap options

Old 01-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Speaking as an owner of a '12 Sport, I can say that the fog lights are helpful in two ways:they're great in fog or heavy precipitation, and they make the car very visible from a distance. I don't know if they're enough to justify buying a higher trim level all by themselves but they work great. If only my headlights worked so well...

Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 AM
The stock fog light bulbs on the EX were next to useless. Hardly any useful light. I then put the Philips H11 LED (they cost about $120) and what a world of difference. Good fog lights are useful at low speed driving in dark residential neighborhoods where there might be kids or dogs playing at the side of the road and you never know if they might jump too close to the street.