Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Looking for pics/suggestions on tweeter placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Looking for pics/suggestions on tweeter placement

I bought a set of JL components for the front doors and am trying to get an idea of where everyone puts the tweeters.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I have a set of Infinity seperates installed in my car. I was able to install the tweeters in the factory location with a little dremel work on the metal that held the factory tweeter. The factory tweeter will just pry off from the factory piece of metal after you unscrew it from the outer garnish. If memory serves me correctly, I think I only used two screws instead of three because the new tweeter was larger and ended up blocking one of the screw holes.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm shopping around for components (in no hurry), and was actually looking for input on the same subject. The stock tweeter locations are obviously workable, but for SQ purposes I've read that despite the drop in soundstage, it's better to keep the components as close together as possible.

There are flat(ish) spots just above the grills down in the door, I wonder if there's enough space in the panel to dremel out holes for an install down there.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
I'm shopping around for components (in no hurry), and was actually looking for input on the same subject. The stock tweeter locations are obviously workable, but for SQ purposes I've read that despite the drop in soundstage, it's better to keep the components as close together as possible.

There are flat(ish) spots just above the grills down in the door, I wonder if there's enough space in the panel to dremel out holes for an install down there.
I found this thread a few days ago: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...omponents.html

Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Heh, you know how I said I was in no hurry to buy speakers? oops. :laugh: I just put in an order for a set of Elemental Designs e9.65i's . . . Just hope they fit, with 78mm of mounting depth, it's gonna be close.

Oh yeah, also ordered ed's 4 channel amp & their little 10" shallow mount sub to go with them. I'm finishing the head unit & xm installation tomorrow, as well as prewiring for the amp. Whenever it gets warm enough, I've got 30 pounds of sound deadening mat and 10 pounds of closed cell foam to install as well - all via Elemental Designs.

Originally Posted by davela72
I found this thread a few days ago: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...omponents.html
I hadn't seen that thread, thanks for the link . . .

I'll probably buy a roll of painters tape, and spend a a few days sticking the tweeters to different spots. See what I like the best. And I just obtained a cheap (read: free) laptop from my Dad - looking into some easy to use spectrum analyzer software & a decent mike for it, hopefully tune the whole setup just right for only a few dollars.

Last edited by Daemione; 02-14-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM
fiberglass it if it doesn't fit....lol

Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Khanhdom, very nice set up bro!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by khanhdom
fiberglass it if it doesn't fit....lol
Your setup looks great, but alas, my fiberglassing skills are only adequate (at best) . . . Glassing up an an enclosure to take the place of the spare tire is within my abilities, but only because it'll be hidden by the false floor.

If I'm desperate for mounting depth in the fronts, I'd be more comfortable using a dremel to carve the plastic grills completely out of the door panel, and then mounting my own grills.