Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio controls on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Cool, thought that would be strange to make it that close but not be the same.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Anyone have a Fit service manual? It might have the pin out documentation.

Here's a link to buy it in the US.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...A00&itemtype=N

Old 09-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Yuf, as if!!! Man that would of helped.

p11wrg, how much would you want for that radio shipped to Canada? Here's hoping it plugs into our face plate since the plastic trim is completely different. Our radios increment 0.2 in FM (87.9 to 107.9 MHz) on the odd numbers and the AM is in increments of 10 (520 to 1710 khz).

atlr, I have the manual and it only lists the wiring connections required for the US/Canada model.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
It does have a lot of pins that are identified as "Not Used" so it may be one of those.

I took mine in for it's first service today and asked about it but they have no clue either. The service writer first misunderstood the question then he was going to call and have someone look in the service manual when I informed him that I already have their manual and what I'm looking for is the signal pin which is not shown in the manual.

In the manual, looking at the back of the unit, the second connector plug from the right, the only pins identified are top row 3,4,5, bottom row 13,14,15, ALL of the rest of the pins say "NOT USED".

On the far right connector ALL of the pins are used and identified EXCEPT pin #5 which is top center which says "NOT USED".

Nowhere in there does it say what the second connector from the left is for.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb It doesn't look the same

Originally Posted by p11wrg
Well here are the pics if you want them or not!

GOOD LUCK!

Al.
The pins and plugs don't look the same except 2 plugs.

Hope that will be of some help.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
It does have a lot of pins that are identified as "Not Used" so it may be one of those.
I checked the wiring diagram for the 2006 Civic EX (pays having friends that work at a dealership). The Civic EX connects the steering mounted controls to connector B, pins 5 & 6. I tried those pins and pretty much all the others and none responded to the controls.

The second plug from the left (or white one in the picture of the UK head unit) is for an optional CD changer or tape deck.

On the older radio plugs (as pictured in the UK head unit) used the 98-05 Honda standard plug. The audio controls were on pin 3 and 11 (ground). The green connector is for the aux inut jack.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a way to find a schematic for the factory Fit radio to see if there is even an option for the remote buttons to work?

I've been following this with some interest, and b17gsr, I appreciate all the effort that you have put into this. However, it seems that it may need to be checked to see if this option is even possible.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Finding the schematic for the radio itself would help, but where to get it? I'm seriously wondering if the radio was built with this option in it.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Finding the schematic for the radio itself would help, but where to get it? I'm seriously wondering if the radio was built with this option in it.
Ahh - that is the question!!

Got any really low friends in high places?? Surely someone in Honda Corporate would have access to this information - somewhere...

Wonder who the manufacturer is? Probably have to open it up to find that info? Hmmm..... maybe I need to take mine apart!!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
According to collegehillshondaparts.com, Alpine is the manufacturer of the head units.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, and we can order one to play with:

39170-SLN-C01 TUNER ASSY. (50WX4) (ALPINE) $721.79

WOW - what a deal!!

Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Another option is the Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...KWAVH3BBCH7CJ8

Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I would love to sell you the unit but it won't fit in the Canadian model. Because the UK is RHD the edge of the radio in the LHD is reversed. Therefore it would not fit at all.

Al.

Yuf, as if!!! Man that would of helped.

p11wrg, how much would you want for that radio shipped to Canada? Here's hoping it plugs into our face plate since the plastic trim is completely different. Our radios increment 0.2 in FM (87.9 to 107.9 MHz) on the odd numbers and the AM is in increments of 10 (520 to 1710 khz).

atlr, I have the manual and it only lists the wiring connections required for the US/Canada model.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Have you guys ever thought that if it the USDM HU had Remote Control that Honda USA would of put it on the Steering wheel already??? The UKDM car has it and Honda fitted the controls on the steering wheel as stock.....

Al.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
Another option is the Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...KWAVH3BBCH7CJ8
wyy183, I have a Prelude electrical manual at home. I'll have to check if they show the schematic for the head unit. I'd be surprised if they did.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Have you guys ever thought that if it the USDM HU had Remote Control that Honda USA would of put it on the Steering wheel already??? The UKDM car has it and Honda fitted the controls on the steering wheel as stock.....

Al.
Sometimes Honda adds features to head units that aren't used, especially if it's used in a few models. For example, the base US Fit doesn't have the AUX port, but you can still add one and it will work.

As for the face plate not fitting in the US/Canadian model, I wonder if the face plate can be removed and the unit attached to our faceplate. Mind unscrewing the deck from the face plate and taking some pictures of both parts?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Have you guys ever thought that if it the USDM HU had Remote Control that Honda USA would of put it on the Steering wheel already???
No, and you're taking all the fun out of it!!

===============================

I mentioned in an earlier post about trying to verify this. BUT - it makes sense that if the circuitry is in the HU for UK, then why wouldn't it be in there for the USA?

Are there any other LHD Fit's that have steering wheel mounted controls? This would eliminate yet another possibility....

Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
As you can see in this picture, the trim (face) can be removed from the deck.

I think France had the steering controls in LHD, but the trim is still different (dash shaped differently).

Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
The second plug from the left (or white one in the picture of the UK head unit) is for an optional CD changer or tape deck.
That would make sense. After I signed off last night I started thinking. The Honda iPod music link adapter, where does it plug in and exactly what type of control do you have with it, if any ?

When I hook my Archos Jukebox into the Aux jack it's basically using the stereo as a set of headphones would be used, just sending the unit the sound signal.

Is that all the iPod adapter does as well ? The picture I recall for the iPod adapter shows it comming out of the dash where the glove box is, or under the dash, that is why I wonder if it is connected somewhere else like the back of the head unit.

What I'm thinking is.
If the head unit can control the iPod then it has to be connected to the signal pin. If tracks have to be changed on the iPod itself then it's not controling it and we are still in the same situation.

Don't know if that will make any sense.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
All the models with the same HU as mine, will have the steering wheels controls.

I will take it off the fascia tomorrow and get some pics.

Al.

Quick Reply: Audio controls on steering wheel?