Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit

Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
If there is a wire that connnects the AUX Jack to the back of the Radio it would have a part number and could be ordered. I have searched long and hard for that very wire. At College Hills Honda you can search the Honda Parts Catalog in the Honda Fit "Sport" section. Searching I couldn't find a wire to connect the AUX Jack to the Radio. The Honda parts drawings are too hard to see, but I think that the wire going from the Aux Jack to the Radio might be bundled into a much larger wiring harness for the rest of the dashboard since I couldn't find it.

I to have a Base model FIT. I ordered the AUX Jack Part# 39112-SAA-J02ZA from College Hills Honda.

You can add stock looking AUX Jack to your car.

The back of the Jack has 5 connectors. Following the instructions listed above and in other forums, you mostly likey can figure out how to wire this Jack up to the back of the Radio. You would need to run your own wire though. I haven't had time to wire it up yet.

Last edited by HollywoodFIT; 02-14-2007 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
I have read people asking Honda to upgrade their Base Fits with the aux and are not getting much feedback. It's pretty sad. I mean you shouldnt be working very hard to get this auxiliary connector hooked up. You should be able to call Honda and that's it. It is just a simple cable and connectors. They'd probably charge an arm and a leg anyways.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Question

I don't think it's likely, but I suppose that it's possible that there isn't any such connector available for the Base Fit, since the stereo itself differs between the Base and Sport (more watts/MP3 capability).

If that's the case (again unlikely I think), that would suck. If the lower end stereo has an AUX jack in other markets (Canadians speak up!), then maybe you could order that cable from a supplier in that other market.

When I was deciding between the Fit and the Mazda 3, I looked on the Mazda site to find out how to wire up an aux jack. There wasn't any connector on the head unit ; you had to partially take apart the head unit and do some soldering on the circuit boards of the unit - blecch! This was one of the reasons (besides cost) that I opted for the Fit Sport.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
AUX Jack Wiring detailed

There is another post out there about someone installing the AUX Jack into their base fit. I copied the interesting part about wiring up the jack below. You should follow the link and read more.

http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000256.html

QUOTE...
Eventually, I decided to take matters into my own hands and soldered ten RS-232 female headers (about $4 for 100 at Fry's) onto the ends of five wires from a cat-5 cable. I wrapped each in electrical tape to prevent shorts. Using some info I found on the web, I concluded that the following pins matched up (5-pin on the aux jack, 20-pin on the radio): 1-15, 2-5, 3-3, 4-13, 5-14. (For the person who buys my car in a few years and wants to know which wire is which, the colors going into the aux jack are 1-O/W, 2-W/G, 3-G/W, 4-W/B, 5-B/W, O=orange, G=green, W=white, B=blue, and "O/W" for example means "orange wire with white stripe.")

Next came the hard part. I pulled out the head unit far enough to reach in behind it and held a mirror in back. Then after approximately 1,000 attempts I successfully pushed all five headers onto the right five pins on the back of the unit. Same with the aux jack, but that one was easier because I could look directly at it. I plugged in my MP3 player and confirmed it all worked ...END QUOTE

Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by HollywoodFIT
If there is a wire that connnects the AUX Jack to the back of the Radio it would have a part number and could be ordered. I have searched long and hard for that very wire. At College Hills Honda you can search the Honda Parts Catalog in the Honda Fit "Sport" section. Searching I couldn't find a wire to connect the AUX Jack to the Radio. The Honda parts drawings are too hard to see, but I think that the wire going from the Aux Jack to the Radio might be bundled into a much larger wiring harness for the rest of the dashboard since I couldn't find it.

I to have a Base model FIT. I ordered the AUX Jack Part# 39112-SAA-J02ZA from College Hills Honda.

You can add stock looking AUX Jack to your car.

The back of the Jack has 5 connectors. Following the instructions listed above and in other forums, you mostly likey can figure out how to wire this Jack up to the back of the Radio. You would need to run your own wire though. I haven't had time to wire it up yet.
Were you able to hook it up already?Im thinking of doing the same thing this weekend and was wondering how it was.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I just did this mod yesterday finally. Worked PERFECTLY. Thanks for the Jack smeister.

I used Cat5E data cable and used 4 of the 8 pairs, used the plenum shielded variety of the cable with is fully shielded just in case (I'm anal about sound system noise).

I soldered the terminals at the jack but I used fishing wire crimpers on the pins on the back of the radio, covered everything with the provided heat shrink tubing (nice bonus there smesiter, thanks, got plenty leftover also ).

Got some pics of the connections on my cel, I'll post em in a bit.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Great man...I am looking forward to the install pics.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Used the same mounting location:

4 Pairs of the data cable soldered to the back of the jack.

Pins on the back of the deck crimped with fishing crimpers.

Length of data cable:

Didn't take a pic of it installed but it looks just like smeister's. Sounds good.

Next step of my audio mods is a Navone Engineering L.O.V. to hook up my Kenwood Excelon 100x4ch amp to the stock deck and putting Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" component on the fronts and rears and a dynamat diffusers behind them, don't intend on dynamating the doors as this will be a track car down the road and I don't want the added weight. My goal is to keep my audio setup simple but powerful without having to add a sub, judging by how the stock radio sounds a set of kappas being pushed with 100 watts in those little doors should produce good punchy bass. I used to drive my camry with this amp and a 900w monoblock Class D amp with 3 12" Kenwood Excelon's. Daily audio system for almost 2 years, I'm over the huge bass phase.

Last edited by nttdemented; 02-26-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
I really wasn't thinking otherwise I would have used a Cat6 cable. My install was a lot more messy hahah.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm dying to get the AUX input working in my base Fit. Unfortunately, all the great instructions in this thread are way beyond me. Can someone recommend a car stereo installer in Westchester County or the Bronx who can hook up my AUX input?

Thanks for any leads!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I want an AUX jack too but no way am I taking apart a section of my new car.

Honda needs to offer this. I'll call Gwinnett Place Honda tomorrow but they will likely laugh at me.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
OK Here it is... Super Clean Install

Ok guys, thanks to smeister's very early thread (the one where the complete wiring of the unit is shown).
I did the following:
Took out the stereo unit per directions from collegehills honda (a pain but not too bad if you take your time).
Once the unit was out, i took it to the nearby electronics DYI store to have with me since i was looking for a matching pin-type connector (did not want to solder)
I found perfectly matching 10Bit Computer connectors that plug super nicely in the B connector on the back of the stereo -- no need for soldering, just plug the connectors all fits very snug and tight.
Then i bought the OEM AUX part that "oofie" has pictured a couple of replies earlier in this thread Part Number 39112-SAA-J02ZA from College Hills Honda- this is the original OEM Fit Sport Aux jack that has 5 pins..
As i mentioned using the wiring info from the old AUX thread , it is very easy to match the 5 pins on the AUX part to the 5 Pins from the rear of the Stereo (the B connector).
Again using the 10Bit computer connectors, which plug perfectly into the back of the AUX OEM part, I simply connected everything per the diagramI also used high quality CAT6 cable which is shielded. No mess, no soldering, and complete OEM look. Everything works absolutely perfect, sound is great, no interference whatsoever. I think using the OEM Aux connector that utilizes all 5 pins provides great sound and might be better than the 4 connector that smeister used from CUI inc. ( By the way I did the complete install that smeister did prior to doing it again with the OEM AUX connector, all worked great but i wanted a cleaner install with no soldering, and i also feel that the sound is a bit louder (maybe since i am using all 5 connectors right now?).., if you do not want to spend the 35 dollars on the OEM Aux Part smeister's 4 connector solution works just fine, it is just a bit harder since you have to solder to the aux 4 connector and the back of the stereo.. and that is quite touchy to do.., i was also afraid that from bumps , car going over pot-holes, etc, the soldering might loosen up after a year or two, hence i did the install all over again with the OEM aux connector.
Anyway,
Thanks again to smeister and all the people that dug out the wiring info.
If anybody is interested i can post a quick DIY extension to smeister's....

Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by db_et_ac
If anybody is interested i can post a quick DIY extension to smeister's....
Yeah, post it up man. The more informative this thread is the better. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Updated DYI with OEM AUX Connector

Hi ,
I am sorry if i am repeating myself , but here is a quick DYI regarding using the OEM AUX connector on the base fit...

First of all before i did this install i did use smeister's DYI with the 4 connector CUI inc part. all worked great but i wanted to play some more with my car and try the OEM AUX connector..

So here it is:

The OEM AUX Part you can order either from college hills honda or your local dealer, it is about 38 dollars.
Here is the OEM AUX connector, identical to the one used in the SPORT FIT.
back is shown on pic below with the 5 connectors you need to utilize

Another pic of it.. as well as the part number you need....

Getting the stereo out is outlined in the following link...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit/musiclink.pdf
first time taking it out is a pain in the butt, but since it was my second time doing it , it wasnt that bad...

Once you have the stereo out you need to identify the following connectors on the back of the stereo...
The connector of interest is the "B" connector on the back of the stereo
shown below:

Now comes the important part...

below is a description of the "B" connector that is on the back of the stereo shown above:

below is the diagram for the OEM AUX Adapter:
NOTE I HAVE LABELED WHICH ONE IS CAVITY 1 and Which one is cavity 5...
Make sure this you orient the AUX adapter correct as shown on the pic below and identify the correct cavities..

SO match the description of the AUX connector to the stereo "B" connector:

STEREO "B" CONNECTOR TO OEM AUX CONNECTOR..

B3 - AUX SIG GND ----> to CAVITY 3 on AUX Connector
B5 - AUX GND -------> to CAVITY 2 on AUX Connector
B13 - AUX LEFT ------> to CAVITY 4 on AUX Connector
B14 - AUX RIGHT------> to CAVITY 5 on AUX Connector
B15 - AUX DET -------> to CAVITY 1 on AUX Connector

OK NOW you can use the ID bit cable i was talking about. It fits perfectly in the pins in the back of the stereo as well as the OEM AUX connector, no soldering needed everything fits nice and tight:

Here is the cable i am talking about:
Id Bit Audio Cable For DVD, 24 Inch, 11A1-16424, Ziotek at Cyberguys.com

I did not buy that particular one, i just found some in my local electronics parts store..
here is a pic of the cable i used.. note each cable has 2 pins (black and red wires...)

and here it is attached to the OEM AUX connector (cavity 1 and 2 shown on picture..)... i used another cable to connect to cavity 3 and 4, and then for the last cavity - 5 i bought a single female pin Bit ID cable (simply instead as the shown 2 connector (black and red) ID cable, they also sell single ones pin ones...)...

Here is a pic from the back of the stereo:

here is how the stereo looks after all is wired:

All is nicely shink-wrapped and also routed and zip-tied in a way so it does not interfere or move around with any other harnesses once the stereo is put back into the dash..
Note that the ID Bit cables (red and black) once connected to the stereo are then soldered to a CAT6 cable (white cable on pic) (3ft of it). The CAT6 is really nice since it is insulated and noise shielded (of course you have to keep track which cable is which in the CAT6 so you can connect the correct CAT6 wires to the other ID Bit cables that plug on the AUX connector end)..

Once all is nicely routed and wired...

Here is the end product.. all looks absolutely as it would on a Sport Honda Fit...

the sound is lounder than whed i did the install using smeister's 4 connector solution described earlier in the thread. I would say it is just as loud as when you are playing a regular CD, there is absolutely no interference or noise, the sound is great...
Overall it is quite a lot of work, but it is a nice little project.
Also if you do not want to spend the 38 bucks for the adapter, using smeister's install works just fine...

Overall the project cost me 38 dollars for the AUX connector and 12 dollars for ID Bit computer cables and some zip-ties and misc little parts..

here is a pic of my baby all ready for my Ipod to be plugged in

Thanks again to all the people that gathered the needed wiring information..
DB..

Last edited by db_et_ac; 03-18-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
So you say it is louder huh...hmmmmm you got me thinking about spending 38 bucs!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Can someone ohm out

B5 - AUX GND -------> to CAVITY 2 on AUX Connector
B15 - AUX DET -------> to CAVITY 1 on AUX Connector

on th aux connector from the sport? If possible can you ohm it out with a jack plug in and unpluged. I think that is just a switch to ground internal to the radio, A dry contact per say. so when you plug in the jack into the aux in the radio either see and open or short. Thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
to be honest, it was quite a pain to re-do the set up .. had to unsolder all connections and just taking out the stereo is a pain as you all know ... ..but if you feel adventurous i think it is worth re-doing it... connections are more secure i think and looks better, but this is just my opinion.... also using the CAT6 cable might have made a difference (i did not use it in my first set up).... i took my time with this new set up and did it over a couple of days with multiple trips back and forth to the electronics store to find exact cabling and parts, etc.

NExt on my list is installing the cruise control from these guys.. (this particular one has remote RF switch so you do not need to drill, mess with your dash)...

Honda Fit 2007

I already have the fit sport rims, now the AUX connector and hopefully the cruise control, so at the end I will have almost a sport fit
(i loved the color of the base fit i have and was not a fan of the spoiler and ground effects on the sport fit, thats why i bough the base and it was cheaper of course)..

(TeamEMC, i did not measure resistance between the terminals when i was installing the adapter).

Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
dock connector

I've been contemplating this mod for a while now ... the thing is I'd like to use the line-level audio output from the dock connector rather than the headphone-level output from the headphone jack.

I found a supplier of iPod dock connectors
http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connmale.htm
(including a black one that would match the interior nicely)

and this diagram of the dock pinouts...
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

So it seems like pins 3 and 4 on the iPod dock connector (L/R audio out), and pin 2 (audio/video ground) should be able to go right into the corresponding spots on the head unit ... does this seem to make sense?

The next step up would be getting it to charge through the dock connector too, but I'm definitely not confident enough to risk frying my iPod and my Fit's electrical system in one dumb move!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
paul

(anyone need a new tail light?)

Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I'd kill to have this in my car but I'm not confident enough to do it myself.

Anyone in the Atlanta area? heh

Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
So you took the ID bit cables and put 3 foot CAT6 between the AUX jack and the stereo by soldering them together?

What is CAT6
I'm feeling a bit retarded but I'd really like to get a AUX jack. (And how did you pop out the indent for the AUX jack)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit