Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk!

Things needed:

- CUI Inc 3.5mm panel mount audio jack w/ 4 connectors (PN: SJ-43502PM)
- 22 gauge electrical wire
- solder hardware or crimping
- drill and 1/4 drill bit

Installation:

First, find the place you want to mount your 3.5mm jack. I chose the same spot as it is in the Sport Fit. I started by drilling a smaller hole first and then working my way to the 1/4" size bit. If you purchase a different 3.5mm jack make sure you check if it is suitable for 1/4" size bit.

Here are pics of the two screws that hold in the little bracket.

Pic of the jack screwed into the bracket.

It was already pretty tight without the nut, but I put it on there anyways just in case. Oh yeah for the BLING factor too!

Second, solder about 5 feet of 22 gauge wire onto each of the 4 connectors on the 3.5mm plug and heatshrink or electric tape them. Mark each cable so you remember which one is which.

Third, remove the headunit and then mount the 3.5mm plug and route the cable up to the back of the headunit.

Fourth, time to solder or crimp the wires coming from the 3.5mm plug to the back of the headunit.

Use Diagram B and connect the following:
3.5mm Jack to Harness
Terminal 1 to B15 (AUX DET)
Terminal 2 to B14 (AUX R)
Terminal 3 to B13 (AUX L)
Terminal 4 to both B3 (AUX SIG GND) and B4 (AUX SHIELD GND)

Here are B13 and B14 soldered and I have the heatshrink ready to be shrunken.

It's a pretty easy installation. It is just time consuming getting the headunit out etc. Let me know if you guys need any more detail.

What it might look like when you are done.

Last edited by smeister; 10-04-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
That's an awsome write up. I have the sports so mine comes with it but very clean install. anyways i wanna know is how you remove the headunit. I usually install stereo's all the time but i am afraid to tear apart my new car.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Very nice write up good clear instructions and photos. One attaboy for your effort. But your missing one photo .... what does it look like when you are done!!
That pic is coming.

For the heatunit removal, just follow the instruction for the installation of the ipod musiclink. http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit/musiclink.pdf

Old 07-09-2006, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I was actually going to wire everything so I can have the vision m cradle 100% functional and just leave it in my cup holder but I got lazy and I think this will do for now.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks!!!!....

I'm a bit confused on Terminal 4 B3-B4....

Do you just jumper them together ? Would a hard drive jumper
(you know the kind to make it Cable select, Master, Slave drive) work
for B3-B4. Is there a Terminal 4 on the headphone jack? or just
Left/right/Ground.

EDITED:

I re-read your CUI part and it says 4 connectors: So I guess you have to short together B3 and B4 to Terminal 4.
Did you shrink wrap that also?

Sorry for being slow.

Last edited by FitCustomer; 07-09-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Quick Question

Hi ,

I noticed that you are not using terminal B5, i mean you have not connected it to anything, is there a reason for that?..or do they make a 5 connector 3.5 mm jack (at least i have not heard of one).

Also, how is the quality of the sound, is there any interference?
I also assume that the AUX button on the radio is now fully functional (can you toggle back and forth from say AUX (if our mp3 player is playing) and say radio or CD?)

Thank you for writing this i am sure a ton of people will use it...

Also, for others, CUI inc - the makers of the 4 connector jack you are using provide a nice pdf drawing of the connector so you can identify which is terminal 1, 2 3 and 4.

Thanks again..

Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to see you put the diagrams to good use. Now I will finally have to do it myself. I've soldered before, but never shrinkwrap - what do you use to shrink the shrinkwrap? I think Radio Shack probably has the 3.5mm jacks as well.

By the way, I put in a request for Honda to make a kit for this with College Hills Honda and when a Honda rep called to survey. I like this method much better for cost and personal satisfaction. All we would need now is some sort of cap or plug to look like the stock install.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
FitCustomer,
You are correct about shorting B3 and B4 together and joining it with Terminal 4.

db et ac,
I had the B5 and B15 hooked up to Terminal 1 but when I did that the sound did not work properly so I took it off and kept it just on B15. The sound is AWESOME and there is NO interference. It sounds as good as a your mp3 quality and speakers can get hahah.

Gabes Dad,
Heatshrinking is easy. You just buy heatshrink tubing. It comes in a roll and you just have to heat it up with a heatgun or a lighter or something thats somewhat hot. It's just good practice with electrical connections. I checked RadioShack and I dont think they sell the 3.5mm wall-mount plug, but I could be wrong.

Here is that pdf that db et ac was talking about.
http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/SJ-43502PM.pdf

Last edited by smeister; 07-10-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I have one final question.... why didn't you just use a 3 connector
audio jack (instead of the 4 connector)? Since you connected
Terminal 1 to B15 (AUX DET)
and
Terminal 4 to both B3 (AUX SIG GND) and B4 (AUX SHIELD GND)

Isn't Aux DET the same as GND? (also on most 1/8 stereo plugs Terminal 1 is for AUX GND)

Could you have used a 3 connector as follows

Terminal 1 (AUX GND) to B15 (AUX DET), B3 (AUX SIG GND) and B4 (AUX SHIELD GND)
Terminal 2 to B14 (AUX R)
Terminal 3 to B13 (AUX L)

Last edited by FitCustomer; 07-10-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure, but I tried to hook up both Terminal 1 and 4 to the same grounds and it wouldnt work so maybe it 4 connectors is the way to go. It had to specifically be the connections I used othewise the auxiliary function wouldnt work.

Last edited by smeister; 07-10-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the great job and getting it to work....

Last edited by FitCustomer; 07-10-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Master FitFreaker
wow very nice DIY man

Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
just the writeup I was looking for. Gonna see about getting everything together and hooking it up! Now would we getting a better sound from the ipod if we used the line out/docking station port vs. using the headphone jack?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dacalac
just the writeup I was looking for. Gonna see about getting everything together and hooking it up! Now would we getting a better sound from the ipod if we used the line out/docking station port vs. using the headphone jack?
The line out in the dock connector will give you the best quality. Or check out the imp and din products from sik to provide a lineout and firewire connection without the dock. This way you get a constant volume output so you only adjust the volume on the head unit. I don't know if this bypasses any of the ipod's equalizer effects or not.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks...the mod has been great. It's nice to have my own music collection in the car. I also installed that Kenwood sub the other day. I'll have some pics of it later once I mount it and clean up the wiring. I'll do a quick review how it compares to my Infinity Perfect 12.1 sub that I had in the Fit till the Kenwood poweredsub.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 AM
auxiliiary input

Hello guys........I am Billys from Athens-Greece-Europe.
I need your help.....i have a Jazz cvt 2004 and i want to use the auxiliary input of my car in order to connect an mp3.Does any one knows how i can do that as here in greece they do not have the approriate accessories.Can i order it from another country?

Thank you in advanced

BibisJazz Athens Greece Europe

Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know how they hook it up in the Sport version? If it's just a cable with a plug to the head unit, could you buy it from somewhere?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by cycoxtr
Does anyone know how they hook it up in the Sport version? If it's just a cable with a plug to the head unit, could you buy it from somewhere?
if you mean the cable for the aux jack, you can buy it from radioshack

Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
What I meant was how does the factory install the aux jack in the sport model? If it's just a cable, can we buy it? I just don't see the point in making something that already exists...somewhere.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a plug that you can get that connects to Connector B? So instead of soldering directly to the head unit, you solder to the plug, and then plug it into Connector B.

Quick Reply: DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit