Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Aux Jack and Sirius

Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Aux Jack and Sirius

Anyone know if the Aux Jack can be used as input for a Sirius radio (I have an Audiovox model)? If so is it just a 1/8" to 1/8" cable? The radio has a line out port.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FitInFla
Anyone know if the Aux Jack can be used as input for a Sirius radio (I have an Audiovox model)? If so is it just a 1/8" to 1/8" cable? The radio has a line out port.
I have the StarMate and it just plugs in with the standard minijack (Pretty sure that's 1/8). Very easy.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I use mine with a Sportster. You can use a 1/8 to 1/8 or now everything is packaged as 3.5mm - 3.5mm. Same cable, just labled mostly in it's metric equivalent.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
I went and did a more permanent (yet still portable) install of my Sirius Starmate Replay unit.

Here's a picture of it, installed on the bracket I fabricated from a radar detector mount and the car mount attachment plate, but still using the lighter plug and standard Aux input:

Here's what it looks like now, after disassembling the connector from my (otherwise trashed) Sirius BoomCube, and using it to hard-wire my unit into the Fit. This leaves my Aux port open for use with my iPod, and the power port for my cell phone. To remove the Sirius head unit, I just pull the plug out of the side, and unhook it from the mount on the back (you can see the release tab in the upper right-hand corner).:

The antenna is mounted on the hatch, and tucks into the gap between the hatch opening and the door, when open:

The antenna wire enters the body through the boot of the third brake light.

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 07-12-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Looks good.

Could you please describe your "hard-wire" solution? Did you go into the back of the headunit or just parallel the Aux & Power sockets?

Thanks!!

Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, the power and aux lines are are tapped into the existing Aux port and power socket. The antenna is spliced into the harness, as well (the whitish stuff at the end of the wires is just masking tape, labeling the wires). The plug from the end of the power wires was removed, as well.

Here's a picture of the harness, before it was installed:

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 07-16-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Looks good man!! I've got a Sportster Replay and am wondering how I'm gonna mount and connect everything. I gotta wait till I get the car!!
Thank you for the pics and stuff. It gives me ideas of what I'll have to do!

Last edited by claymore; 07-17-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:17 PM
I have the Audiovox PNP3 and I bought the cable for the line out jack to the Aux input. Difference was like night and day. The sound is excellent and the rig fits nicely in that rectangular cubby next to the power outlet.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
Yes, the power and aux lines are are tapped into the existing Aux port and power socket. The antenna is spliced into the harness, as well (the whitish stuff at the end of the wires is just masking tape, labeling the wires). The plug from the end of the power wires was removed, as well.

Here's a picture of the harness, before it was installed:
Thanks for the fast reply; this is a much easier mod that pulling the head unit. I now need to find the right interface for my 'Pod so I can use the main connector (need one that includes 12v to 5v converter, unless I make my own).

CC

Old 07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
What you might be interested in for your iPod would be the Monster iCarCharger for iPod. It not only uses the dock connector to charge your iPod, but provides the line-out connection you need to get the cleanest signal to your aux port in the Fit.

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 07-17-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks! I found two other potential iPod docking solutions. The first is a build-your-own:

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm

The second has a number of solutions similar to the Monster solution suggested:

http://store.sik.com/merchant.mv?Scr...ry_Code=CABLES

I'm waiting to hear back from the iPod2Car folks to see if they will sell me a cable without the head unit adapter: it looks like the Honda MusicLink iPod cable, but it is 12' long, so you can put the iPod anywhere you want. I'll post when I hear back.

Thanks again,

CC

Old 07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know of way to use the regular radio antenna as satelite antenna as well, or is this just not possible?

Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
I think the Sirius Audiovox PNP3 that I have is just like the Sportster. I attached the mounting bracket then just laid it in the rectangular cubby.

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...up&cat=0&pos=0

Last edited by FitInFla; 07-23-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Thumbs down Regular antenna used for satelite antenna is NOT a go

Originally Posted by Gabes Dad
Does anyone know of way to use the regular radio antenna as satelite antenna as well, or is this just not possible?
Not going to work.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
has any one used their slvr or rokr phone with the aux jack? I pluged my Rokr in and it will only play through the phone speakers. It works in my friend's HHR port. And It works in my stereo. Also my regular I-pod works in the aux port fine so it is not the port.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
For a better response (and exposure), you may want to start your own thread, regarding your rokr phone.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Great write-up. If and when I get my Fit I'll do something similiar for my XM.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
the sat antanna is different than the stock antanna. and, also without being hardwired, it sends a signal to your radio, and your car picks up the signal with its antanna, like a trunk mounted cd changer.
the sat sites have good explanations. joe

Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I installed my RoadyXT. But I'm interested in hardwire using a 12v socket connection to an inline fuse. One part of fuse connected to radio fuse and other to a ground. Then I get a 90 degreen 3.5mm male to male. It will look cleaner than the 3.5 I have now that isn't black and sticks out. I'll drill into the console for cable then if I need aux for my Ipod I can disconnect. Does anyone know if there are brackets for the fit yet?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I bought the Sirius Sportster 4 (comes with Car Kit & Remote) for ~$100 with Rebates/Gift cards from Best Buy.

I'll get it situated properly here today and take some photos. Right now it's just sitting in the cubby-hole...but I want to get it mounted/situated a bit better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aux Jack and Sirius