Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

will ScanGauge II work with USDM Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marokero
The only reason I didn't install it on the steering column is because when I turn the wheel I can't see the ScanGauge
If I have my wheel at an angle where I cannot see the scangauge, then I probably shouldn't be looking at the gauge - I should be looking where I'm going!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, one shouldn't be staring at gauges at those moments, but when on gentle turns, without any imminent danger, there should be no harm in wanting to know how hot the coolant is running

Old 09-13-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Some things to keep in mind before relying on it too much

First off, on mine it reads about 1 to 1.5 mph lower than what my speedometer does at 70mph. Sport M/T. Is anyone else noticing this ?

Next, you have to run a few tanks of gas and adjust the fuel used to match your vehicle before you'll get accurate mpg readings. This is in the manual.

When you fill up you go to "Main" (the lower right button with the red circle around it), then "More", then "Fill Up", BEFORE HITTING DONE!!! use the top left and right buttons to adjust the gallons used (or whatever measurement you're using i.e. liters) to match the amount of fuel it took to fill up. Once you match the quantity used to the quantity purchased then you can hit "Done". For accuracy it's very important to fill up the same way each time.

That means same pump, pointed in the same direction, and shutting it off at the same point like lowest pump handle lock position and when it clicks off that's it each time. Same time of day makes a difference as well. You'll have to round it off to the nearest 1/10th.

Each time you do this it will get closer and closer to matching up until it finally should start matching up consistantly. So do it each fill up without missing any fill ups to get the calibration right.

Until you calibrate it by doing this the mpg it shows can be way off. My first time it was off by 1.3 gallons which comes out to about 8mpg off. On a 7.3 gallon fill up when it thought it should take 8.6 gallons.

If you've been using it a while you may want to fill up (the way you plan on filling up each time and reset it to "Default"). Then set it up the way you want it (everything, engine size, measurements to use). Just like it was just taken out of the box. Then starting from scratch do the needed calibration described above.

Hope this helps everyone to get accurate readings.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Nevermind the speed off from the speedometer I just mentioned. I just remembered that it too is adjustable. So I'll be correcting that.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on my third tank since I got my SG, and I'm hoping that this fill will be accurate - according to SG.

My speedo is pretty close to exact - which I find interesting since the odo doesn't match up...

Oh, well...

Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I too just ordered one of these units. Should be interesting when it arrives in the mail and I get to plug it in and see what all the neat things that it is going to tell me.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
ScanGaugeII report -

I've now been driving around with this thing for 4 days now. Here's what I can report on how to get the best mileage:
- accelerate at 1/2 throttle or less
- shift before 3,400 rpm
- shift as soon as you can
- do anything and everything that you can to limit rpms!!!
Interesting, and very true. I can get 30s in the city and low 40s on the highway in my base using this method. The ScanGaugeII would be fun, but can you also run diagnostics (codes) with it?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2006, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
There are many “thiefs” in Greece. The only distributor that brinks the ScanGaugeII in Greece sell it 300$ and at US the cost is only 169,95$. Someone must kick his as* .
Yesterday I asked and my hart stops for a few seconds after he told me the price.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by wyy183
I'm on my third tank since I got my SG, and I'm hoping that this fill will be accurate - according to SG.

My speedo is pretty close to exact - which I find interesting since the odo doesn't match up...

Oh, well...
The speedometer guage of the ScanGuage can be calibrated so it will match up it's in the manual and it's easy to do.

Originally Posted by Spule 4
Interesting, and very true. I can get 30s in the city and low 40s on the highway in my base using this method. The ScanGaugeII would be fun, but can you also run diagnostics (codes) with it?

Thanks
If your check engine light is on it will show you the code and can clear it. The manual says you can send codes and receive the returned info but I have no idea what can be sent or what you would get back.

Originally Posted by Kostas
There are many “thiefs” in Greece. The only distributor that brinks the ScanGaugeII in Greece sell it 300$ and at US the cost is only 169,95$. Someone must kick his as* .
Yesterday I asked and my hart stops for a few seconds after he told me the price.
Have you tried ordering it online ? They sell it on eBay, here is one listing that ships worldwide and they only want $155 + $5 shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scang...spagenameZWDVW the shipping may be a little more to Greece but it shouldn't be much more.

And here's another that ships worldwide for $164.95 & free shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ScanG...spagenameZWDVW.

$300 is too much. You can unplug it and stick it in your pocket so noone will steal it if it's that bad there.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
The speedometer guage of the ScanGuage can be calibrated so it will match up it's in the manual and it's easy to do.

If your check engine light is on it will show you the code and can clear it. The manual says you can send codes and receive the returned info but I have no idea what can be sent or what you would get back.

Have you tried ordering it online ? They sell it on eBay, here is one listing that ships worldwide and they only want $155 + $5 shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scang...spagenameZWDVW the shipping may be a little more to Greece but it shouldn't be much more.

And here's another that ships worldwide for $164.95 & free shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ScanG...spagenameZWDVW.

$300 is too much. You can unplug it and stick it in your pocket so noone will steal it if it's that bad there.
Thank you very much my friend. I had already tried to buy from the company that product it, but I saw that they sell it only in the US. Finally they told me that they are going to sent it to me and I am waiting it. Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
You're welcome. Glad you could get it at a more reasonable price than the $300.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Ok I got my gauge in the mail and I installed it in the car. I installed mine just behind the top 2 vents in the middle of the dash, so it is easy to see and read. I made up bracket to mount the gauge to the dash. Because of the slope of the dash the bracket is like a 45 degree peice. The bracket I glued to the bottom of the scangauge II, I then used 2 sided tape to mount it to the dash. I didn't want to drill in any holes. Next I removed the instrument gauge cover from the speedometer in the car, and ran the wire up from the diagnostic OBD-II connector found under the dash to the gauge to plug it in. This way the only part of the wire you see for the scangauge is from the right corner of the speedo houseing over to the gauge. Which is behind the air vents, so you only see about 6 " of wire. The rest of it is all behind the dash. Then just reinstall the speedo instrument gauge cover back in place. Then just follow all the instuctions that came with te unit to set it up. Enjoy

Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I currently have mine in the same place as Marokero, but I'm not sure I'll keep it there. I like the idea of mounting it on the rear view mirror, but that would be a fair bit of work.

What are people seeing as far as tank size and speedometer/odometer calibration? I've got speed at -1% (base 175/65R4) and tank at -4%.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have my speed at +2%. With +1% at 70 mph on the speedometer it kept switching to 69mph on the guage. I've had mine disconnected and reconnected several times to hook my palm up to the OBDII port so my fuel is out of calibration right now.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
Hello guys.
Yesterday I received the gauge.
I put it between the handbrake and transmission box.
At few days I will bring photo.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kostas
Hello guys.
Yesterday I received the gauge.
I put it between the handbrake and transmission box.
At few days I will bring photo.
Glad you got it without any problem. It pays to shop around.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Now that a few of you guys have the scangauge installed could somebody just do a check on the air intake temps for me. Like what is the temp right after start and what it is when traveling down the road and finally at the end of your days driving. Interested to see how much it changes. And an estimate of the outside temps when doing the readings would help. thanks
Yesterday I drove about 300 kilometers so:
I saw the different in National road at 90 km/h was 4 degree more (20,24) in the air intake tube and about 6 degree more in town (22-28) between 30-40 km/h. When I have more (0-20 km/h in town) I will post. Tell us your different temps please.
The 43or41 than you can see on the photo is many time at idle speed.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Now that a few of you guys have the scangauge installed could somebody just do a check on the air intake temps for me. Like what is the temp right after start and what it is when traveling down the road and finally at the end of your days driving. Interested to see how much it changes. And an estimate of the outside temps when doing the readings would help. thanks
Mine shows a couple of degrees higher than outside air when going down the road. It is correct when first starting up. (I'm in the US, using F-degrees.)

This morning, the outside temperature was 25 degrees F. On startup, ScanGauge showed 26. While driving down the road at 60 mph, it went up to 29 degrees. When stopped at a traffic light, it went to 39. After resuming 60 mph, it went back down to 30 degrees.

It runs a few degrees higher than outside, just from engine heat. I noticed this back during the summer months, too. Without airflow through the engine compartment, while stopped, the temperature will rise in proportion to the amount of time that you are stopped, until the cooling fans start.

HTH

Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I forget to tell you that I have the stock air system.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Mine reads the same as the outside temp when first starting the car (if the car has not been driven recently) and also while going down the hwy.. If I stop at a light it will slowly rise with the DIY heatshield I made where as without the heatshield the temp use to rise much faster. Once I take off again it will drop back to the outside temp after about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Quick Reply: will ScanGauge II work with USDM Fits?