Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Rear window defogger -- Timed version available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Rear window defogger -- Timed version available?

Seems to me that I saw a post a couple of months ago about replacing the existing manually controlled rear window defogger with a timed one... can anyone point me to the post? If not, does anyone know if this is a possibility? Now that I've got manual control over running the A/C during defrost, this item is the next one on my "hit list".

Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I haven't found a timed defrost button. Considering the defrost and AC buttons are combined, might be hard to do.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
I haven't found a timed defrost button. Considering the defrost and AC buttons are combined, might be hard to do.
We're counting on you, and have faith in you!!!

You can do it!! LOL!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
CLARIFICATION -- I'm talking about the rear-window DEFOGGER (demister) button -- not the front defroster. This is a separate control and has nothing to do with the AC/vent controls. Currently (on the US Fit anyway), you have to remember to turn it off manually instead of having it turn itself off automatically. I thought I remembered seeing that someone had swapped out the current button with one from another Honda (but which?) that had a timed feature on it. I searched around in the posts but can't find it so perhaps I was just dreaming?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
This sure would be nice if it was available! Even our '02 Forester has this

Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
I was under the assumption that the Fit defrost button was timed...After 15min it cuts off...

Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Like I stated before, the North American Fit uses a combined AC and rear defrost button. Af first Honda.ca website lead to believe that the Canadian Fit had a timed function, but it doesn't. See part #1?

Most Hondas have an integrated rear defrost timer built into the fuse box with the wiper controls, something the Fit seems to be lacking.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the drawing detail... unless the existing 2-position defogger switch can be substituted with a momentary there isn't an option that I can see for going to a timed defogger. I was intrigued by the pins/screws marked 3 & 4 in the exploded view -- is there a bill of material that calls these out and describes them?

Sigh...

Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
i beleive that 3 & 4 indicate the bulbs and holders that provide the switch on light and the ambient light when you have your headlights on.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 AM
While I haven't taken the Fit switch a part I have had success in converting other switches from 2 position to momentary. Once we have that adding the timer function shouldn't be too hard. Any idea on the switch's price? Also how/where can we get a schematic? I really want to make the rear wiper intermittent. What would be really cool is to have the front and rear trigger at the same time.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I haven't gone any further on looking into timed defrost... I did quite a bit of work on intermittent rear-wiper - to the point that I have demonstrated that my approach works (see alternate post) - but I haven't pulled enough of the final circuitry together to make it "real" (I'm more of an embedded software geek than a hardware geek).

Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 AM
I would think you could add a timer function to the rear defogger by adding a time-delay relay to the switch circuit. Specifically, you'd add an interval timer, so that after your preset number of minutes on, it would open the circuit and turn the defogger off. To restart the timer, you'd press the defogger button twice.

A possibly suitable timer relay can be found at McMaster-Carr, at the bottom of page 869. The DC-controlled versions of any of the relays listed under "DIN-Rail Mount Long-Life Relays with Multiple Timing Functions" would probably work. The price would be about US$50. I'd have to take a look at the wiring diagram in the service manual to be sure that it'd be as easy as I think it would.

eta: I found the datasheets for the pictured relays here and here.

Aaron T.

Last edited by arteitle; 06-04-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi arteitle - thanks for the links. Yes, the use of a solid state timer in line with the current dual position switch would probably achieve most of the desired effect. Depending on the circuit layout, this might (or might not) be able to cycle the built-in indicator light on & off to indicate when the timer is in operation.

I'm busy thinking about the intermittent rear wiper again so I may investigate the defogger in greater detail in a couple of months - thanks again.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
My '06 Civic had a timed read window defroster... the button looks to be identical to the one in my Fit.